Moistening substrate with ease?

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
reper1210

Moistening substrate with ease?

Post by reper1210 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:21 pm

I have a tank filled with 6 inches of a sand and cocoa fiber mix that drys out every couple of weeks or less. I try to mix in enough water to keep it at sand castle consistency but It never lasts long. Im afraid to keep mixing up the sand because sooner or later a hermit crab will be molting and I don't want to either disturb them or have the substrate dry out and fill in the tunnels. is there a way to moisten the substrate thoroughly without having to rummage my hand throughout the whole tank every 2 weeks?
"Id like to think that all living things are connected with a few invisible lines. Like people connecting the stars at night, to form the shapes of the zodiac signs"
-Me
PP's- Jansen- Sketchy- Critter- Spidy- Dig Doug- Happy Jack

Ellysara

Re: Moistening substrate with ease?

Post by Ellysara » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:24 pm

Easiest way would probably be to mist the surface daily. Any idea why it's drying out so quickly?

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
9 PPs: Rocky, Bullwinkle, Jackie, Tatiana, Claudette, Shy-Guy, Simon and two not yet named.
2 house rabbits: Yojimbo and Nikki
1 axolotl: Birdo
2 cats: Leo and Maya

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:01 pm

What kind of heating and lid are you using, and what is your humidity level?
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
reper1210

Post by reper1210 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:18 pm

humidity 80, heat temp 80, its an aquarium tank with a glass lid. 60 watt heat bulb is used. Not a clue why it drys out so fast.
"Id like to think that all living things are connected with a few invisible lines. Like people connecting the stars at night, to form the shapes of the zodiac signs"
-Me

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:27 pm

Have you calibrated your hygrometer lately? When substrate dries out, the humidity drop lower than 80%, and with a glass lid to hold the moisture in, it shouldn't be happening that fast. Something is definitely strange!

Topic author
reper1210

Post by reper1210 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:15 pm

Iv'e never calibrated it no, not sure how to do that. I do spray the walls at least twice a day, and if you can imagine a glass top with just a pencil stuck in it to keep the lip open for air thats all thats not sealed.
-Me

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:54 pm

Please consider taking a couple of hours and calibrating it, so you know for sure. I'm wondering if it's giving you a false-high reading and it's actually a lot lower. Heat lamps can burn off a lot of moisture from the air, so even a small gap may be too much. That could be why the substrate is drying so fast, and you may need to adjust the opening or spray a lot more to compensate!

There are instructions here on how to check the guage. All it takes is a small amount of table salt and a closed container or bag: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 26&t=92540