What do you put your tank on?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

fraksocks

Re: What do you put your tank on?

Post by fraksocks » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:22 am

I'm currently building an aquarium stand for a 40 gal. The frame looks like this. I'm still in the process of covering it and making it look nicer but really you could use that stand exactly as shown in the picture. I've included the link for the tutorial I followed. As a plus the guy in the video has plenty of DIY aquarium tips. His YouTube channel is worth checking out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN4Y9AYuwcQ

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:24 am

thank you CrabbySquirrel!

I don't think the activity table would work, i strongly advise against it. I have something similar for my daughter that I assembled and the parts don't seem sturdy enough. I def would not put my own tank on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:37 am

fraksocks wrote:I'm currently building an aquarium stand for a 40 gal. The frame looks like this. I'm still in the process of covering it and making it look nicer but really you could use that stand exactly as shown in the picture. I've included the link for the tutorial I followed. As a plus the guy in the video has plenty of DIY aquarium tips. His YouTube channel is worth checking out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN4Y9AYuwcQ
I watch his tutorials too! He is very knowledgable and handy!

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:42 am

So here's a pic of a part of my daughter's "play room" showing the daybed and tank:
It's got a tabletop (just the top on an office desk, a very solid and heavy piece of wood) sitting where a mattress usually goes. My reasoning for referencing it is that i just pucked a piece of furniture that can support the weight of people (600lbs is my go to number) and put the tank on it. Takes up a lot of space, but as you can see i am multipurposing it, for my own preference.

Topic author
CrabbySquirrel

Post by CrabbySquirrel » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:46 pm

Got it - and thanks for posting a pic, that always helps.! What a great setup!!

Yes, I'm seeing that I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and probably throw something together (although of course I would prefer to use what I just have on hand, it just seems like I don't have anything suitable to use, LOL) -- I like the idea of just getting some cinder blocks and some plywood, setting it up, and being done. As it is, it just seems like I've had the 55 sitting in my living room (vulnerable to kid playing, etc. - LOL) and I just want to get it setup! I'm having heating issues in my current tank, as well as wanting to add some substrate (which I'd love to correct) - but it seems silly to do anything about it now when I'm SO close to having a suitable tank for them in the VERY near future....

fraksocks - thanks for posting the pic, and the YouTube channel with the video. I think I actually ran across that when I was searching for tank stands -- I hate to give hubby another DIY thing to do around here, though, since there's SO many things on his list already, including a 2nd job he just took. I'd be afraid that it would be Spring before he could actually get that stand built! (even though he would LOVE to do it). Thanks again! By the way, how long did that take you to put together? What was the approximate cost??

And thanks to everyone for all the wonderful ideas! What a great bunch of people here at HCA, I'm so glad to have found this site! (and thanks so much for putting up with all my questions!) :)

Ellysara

Post by Ellysara » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:45 pm

YYWW - I see now. I was picturing a futon frame instead of a daybed, lol.

CrabbySquirrel - If you were asking me about the cinderblock stand, I didn't end up doing it, it was just something I considered. I would get the strongest wood you can afford though. My husband didn't want to do that stand because it would mean many trips up and down the stairs with heavy objects for us!

Post pics of what you end up coming up with!
9 PPs: Rocky, Bullwinkle, Jackie, Tatiana, Claudette, Shy-Guy, Simon and two not yet named.
2 house rabbits: Yojimbo and Nikki
1 axolotl: Birdo
2 cats: Leo and Maya

Topic author
CrabbySquirrel

Post by CrabbySquirrel » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:30 pm

Oh, got it!

I'll let you know what I decide on - posting pics is yet another thing I have to figure out.....(I'll read the sticky on it).

thanks!

fraksocks

Post by fraksocks » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:57 am

CrabbySquirrel wrote:fraksocks - thanks for posting the pic, and the YouTube channel with the video. I think I actually ran across that when I was searching for tank stands -- I hate to give hubby another DIY thing to do around here, though, since there's SO many things on his list already, including a 2nd job he just took. I'd be afraid that it would be Spring before he could actually get that stand built! (even though he would LOVE to do it). Thanks again! By the way, how long did that take you to put together? What was the approximate cost??
I had to get help from my mom because I have no power tools of my own, but it only took us a couple of weekends (we only worked for an hour or two at a time). Honestly, my mom had a very hard time with the concept when we were getting things started so there were lots of goof ups that slowed us down and caused me to have to have to go get things like extra screws (we got to the very end and we're short 6 screws - urg - lol). Really though if someone is at all familiar with building projects I wouldn't see it taking more than an afternoon, because once both me and my mom were on the same page the process went smoothly and quickly. Even with needing to go get the extra materials I think that my cost for the frame came in around $25.