It's done!

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
4happycrabbers

It's done!

Post by 4happycrabbers » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:52 am

Here is the first Crabitat set up that I am proud of 3 of mine were out exploring last night. Yipee!

Last edited by 4happycrabbers on Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Under our roof we have: 2 moms, 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 bear/dog, and 5 crazy crabblers. Rainbow (benevolent overlord) Paulie (tree dweller) Calico jack (treasure hunter) Peg leg (finally has all his leggs) and Ann bonnie (the baby)

Topic author
4happycrabbers

Re: It's done!

Post by 4happycrabbers » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:59 am

And here are three of the residents, Rainbow and Paulie 1st pic, calico jack 2nd

sorry this one is a bit fuzzy
Under our roof we have: 2 moms, 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 bear/dog, and 5 crazy crabblers. Rainbow (benevolent overlord) Paulie (tree dweller) Calico jack (treasure hunter) Peg leg (finally has all his leggs) and Ann bonnie (the baby)

Careyenz

Post by Careyenz » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:45 pm

Its looking great!
Careyenz, mom to Collin-7, Lily-4, 4 Straws, 5 Blues, 2 Violas, 2 E's, 2 PP's, and 3 cats.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:52 pm

So nice
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

go_skiboard

Post by go_skiboard » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:46 pm

I love how you used the coco mat to make a hide and a second level! very nice 'tat! and cute crabbies!

Vallora

Post by Vallora » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:57 pm

Looks like home! :D What did you use to attach the fibre mat and plants to the side? I'm thinking of doing something similar.
Hermit crabs are my creatures, because they too are mistaken as loners...

Topic author
4happycrabbers

Post by 4happycrabbers » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:39 pm

To attach the coco mat to the side I did something that was much simpler than it sounds. I bought plastic rulers at the dollar store (3 for 1$) I cut them to size on my table saw, be sure to measure each one to where you want it. If you do not have a table saw you can score the rulers with a utility knife 10-12 times then use a pliers to break it clean on the mark. I promise it works. I slid the rulers behind the plastic top of the aquarium where I could. The 6 inches of substrate (can now see measured perfectly on the ruler) holds the bottom in place nicely. Now to attach the coco fiber to the ruler I used aquarium grade silicone ( or 100% silicone) you can get a small tube cheap at the hardware store. I put it on the rulers, the holes help to make a strong bond, and then pressed the coco fiber on to it after the coco fiber was already cut to size and the "second story" was sewed in place. I did this outside the aquarium on wax paper for a no mess cleanup then slid it in place. I know this is a long post but it was very easy. This was such a cheap, easy upgrade for my crabs. I hope other new crabbers try it. A large coco fiber to work with was $6 the rulers were $2 for 6 of them and the silicone was maybe $4 but I had it already so I can't remember for sure. The hide I just sewed quickly from a rectangle I cut from the coco fiber, it was so easy. With this method people can be really creative, GO FOR IT!

Oh and the plants, one aquarium plant is hung over the side, one is stuck in the substrate and bent into position, and one is clipped to the plastic ledge at the top with a binder clip, I don't like this but it is up against the metal mesh top anyway so... Oh well, I could have used a plastic zip tie but I am still experimenting with set up so I am not ready to drill permanant holes just yet. Have fun, I love this part of crabbing!

Ellysara

Post by Ellysara » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:21 pm

That is a super interesting way to make decor! Thanks for the inspiration and your tank looks great :)
9 PPs: Rocky, Bullwinkle, Jackie, Tatiana, Claudette, Shy-Guy, Simon and two not yet named.
2 house rabbits: Yojimbo and Nikki
1 axolotl: Birdo
2 cats: Leo and Maya

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:01 am

Lie everyone said, good job on the decor! You did awesome. :)
(Also you have a awesome bunch of PP's.)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

courtbri

Post by courtbri » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:28 am

Oh I was totally lost on the ruler thing but that's me not able to picture it in my mind as I am a visual person. Anyway your tat looks amazing

New mom to 2 PP's- Paul (1 molt) & Juan (1 molt) and 3E's- Harry, Sarge(currently molting) and Gary Also 1 Yorkie-Joey and 1 cat-Milo and 2 teenage daughters.
My clan consists of-4 PP's: Paul, Juan, Salt & Pepper. 3 E's: Harry Houdini, Sarge and RIP Gary-lost during a molt. A Yorkie-Joey, Orange Tabby-Milo
2 teenage daughters and a husband.