Setting up a 157 gal tank!

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
MuseCrazy

Re: Setting up a 157 gal tank!

Post by MuseCrazy » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:41 pm

Breeezy wrote: I wouldn't get a yellow tailed damsel. They need A LOT of open swimming space. I'd go for something small that doesn't swim much. Maybe a goby of some sort? As for filtration, can you drill the tank and sump it? You'll have way more stable conditions in the water. I doubt a SW fish will stay alive with the way a lot of us do water change and filtration.
I really don't think a 5.5 gallon needs a sump. And where am I going to put it, the tank is already inside another tank.
I'm just gonna stick with the snails and the marine hermits for now.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:00 am

MuseCrazy wrote:I really don't think a 5.5 gallon needs a sump. And where am I going to put it, the tank is already inside another tank.
I'm just gonna stick with the snails and the marine hermits for now.
Well it depends on the setup, a normal 5g fish tank would almost have to have a sump unless your an awesome person that has tried all the nail biters thats offered in the marine hobby. The more water = more stable!
However in the crabitat, unless built it, it would be impossible to do sumps. However in saying that, most crabitats would not be suitable for anything bigger than a small marine hermie/snails/small inverts IMO, fish would do better in a larger tank. ;)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Breeezy

Post by Breeezy » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:23 pm

aussieJJDude wrote: Well it depends on the setup, a normal 5g fish tank would almost have to have a sump unless your an awesome person that has tried all the nail biters thats offered in the marine hobby. The more water = more stable!
However in the crabitat, unless built it, it would be impossible to do sumps. However in saying that, most crabitats would not be suitable for anything bigger than a small marine hermie/snails/small inverts IMO, fish would do better in a larger tank. ;)
A sump would go under your stand/under where ever your main tank is housed.

It isn't impossible? You just drill the glass lol. Then get a small 5 or 10 gallon tank and plumb it into the hermit tank.

Sumps are far superior to any filter you'll ever get. Snails and marine hermits are pretty hardy, but unless you're constantly testing and dosing that tiny tank, they won't live very long either. Way longer than a fish, but it's not very nice to any of the creatures to be living in conditions that aren't suited for them. I just don't see how you'll ever have stable water with the way that water changes are done in a tank that small.
4 Purple Pinchers (Hodor, Spree, Rosie, Leonardo, and Lucy), 1 Strawberry (Denver), 4 Ecuadorians (Dexter, Leeloo, Ghost, and Dr. Zoidberg)
1 Pembroke Welsh Corgi (Thorin)

Topic author
MuseCrazy

Post by MuseCrazy » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:24 pm

Breeezy wrote: A sump would go under your stand/under where ever your main tank is housed.

It isn't impossible? You just drill the glass lol. Then get a small 5 or 10 gallon tank and plumb it into the hermit tank.

Sumps are far superior to any filter you'll ever get. Snails and marine hermits are pretty hardy, but unless you're constantly testing and dosing that tiny tank, they won't live very long either. Way longer than a fish, but it's not very nice to any of the creatures to be living in conditions that aren't suited for them. I just don't see how you'll ever have stable water with the way that water changes are done in a tank that small.
To do that I'd have to drill through the 5.5gal and the 150 gal and I don't want to do that.
The main purpose of the tank is a pool for the crabs to play in. If I had just stayed with the Tupperware containers id be changing water every day anyways, at least I won't have to do them as often. If I had my mind set on fish, maybe I would have bought a glass drill and built a sump. However, I did my research on pico and nano tanks and got tons of advice from people on a marine reef forum, and this was the best set up for me and my crabs.

Anyways, I just got my strawberries from @Kate87!!! Will be adding them to the tat when I get home! Image

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:31 am

Woot Woot! Strawberries are in your house!
Congrats on the newbies, they seem to have awesome colours.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
MuseCrazy

Setting up a 157 gal tank!

Post by MuseCrazy » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:36 am

Thanks! They are so much fun and such a beauty to watch in the tank. They (along with my E's) have pretty much claimed the "beach" side of the tank. ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

imallsmiles1431

Post by imallsmiles1431 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:07 pm

cute! :crabbigsmile:
Mary Nerys
12 HC's: 2 E's, 10 PP's. 15 Betta fish: 12 females, 3 males.
1 Leopard Gecko. 1 Goldendoodle dog.