New crabs and crabitat

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
moonbeam

New crabs and crabitat

Post by moonbeam » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:26 pm

Hi everyone! I'm sort of new here. I joined a while ago and have been reading everything I can. You guys are awesome and my crabs have benefited so much from this site! I am done setting up my new tank and I'm finally ready to share some pictures of my crabs Image ImageImageImage

I have 6 crabs, 2 molting in the old tat and 4 in the new tank. My most shy crab, Guppy (he got his name from the little mermaid bc he's such a "guppy" lol), is the only one out and about. This is the first time in 3 months I've ever seen him up close. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

Topic author
moonbeam

Re: New crabs and crabitat

Post by moonbeam » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:40 pm

Oh yeah and excuse the lack of lid. It's still shipping but after months of being patient, I was done waiting.

Here are some of my other crabs. These pictures are in the old tat but they're cute nonetheless.

This is squirt. She's my tiny baby who is full of spunk. She's always exploring (except for tonight, probably just to prove me wrong lol).
Image When I found her and brought her home she was in a neat little shell. She even sported it for 2 weeks before changing Image this is my big guy bob. He got his name from the horrible sponge bob shell he had on when we bought him. My very first crab and my big scaredy cat. He runs anytime I come near. Nevertheless, he's the reason everything came into place. I love him, even if he doesn't share the sentiment. Image next is lil mama (formerly mr. Crabs) she's my favorite. She was my first crab to molt (I was on edge the entire time she was down) and she came out even prettier than she went down. This was her prior to molting (bob is next to her in the awful shell)Image and this is her now. ImageImage I'll post picture of deacon and the other crab that came home and immediately want down when they decide to come out and play.

Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

lmw142

Post by lmw142 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:35 pm

Very cute crabs :) lil mama has beautiful colors!

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:31 am

I love Bob's shell! Gorgeous!
Your sub looks supa deep! You must really love your crabs :)

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:14 am

Awesome!
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:39 am

Nice! Cute crabs too. I just love seeing all that beautifully deep substrate! :D

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:06 am

Thanks guys! I'm glad someone else appreciates my sub. My family said, "they really need all that sand? Are you sure?" Lol thankfully they're very loving and supportive. They've all gone out of their way to help with all my crab projects.

Guppy was out and about all night and even changed shells after I posted everything. Image And Deacon finally came out! Image

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:10 am

Looks awesome, you have a very cute bunch of hermies! :) I totally digging the layout too!
One thing I noticed, is that the bottom 2 inch of the substrate appears to be very green... Is it the camera or...? (It probably nothing, but better ask!)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:12 am

You maybe seeing the weed block from the false bottom. It's a little taller than I was expecting. But if you're talking about the actually sand at the bottom, I bought 4 bags of sand and when I started mixing the first one I noticed it had too much gravel. It was ok, just not good enough for my crabs so I sent my loving husband back out to get a different brand. So the bottom layer has the sand I didn't like and the rest is the different sand we bought mid-set up lol. It does appear "greener" than the other sand but other than texture it was good sand.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:03 am

moonbeam wrote:You maybe seeing the weed block from the false bottom. It's a little taller than I was expecting. But if you're talking about the actually sand at the bottom, I bought 4 bags of sand and when I started mixing the first one I noticed it had too much gravel. It was ok, just not good enough for my crabs so I sent my loving husband back out to get a different brand. So the bottom layer has the sand I didn't like and the rest is the different sand we bought mid-set up lol. It does appear "greener" than the other sand but other than texture it was good sand.
Ahh ok, i thought you had some bacterial problem... Good to know that I was making a mountain out of a molehill - again! :lol:
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:56 pm

No! I'm glad you said something. In the pictures it really does look green. Its funny though because when I was mixing I liked the color of the sand on the bottom better than I liked the new sand on top. The sand on top almost looked too red in comparison (in person that is). I guess it all depends on the lighting, camera, personal preferences, etc. But just to be safe I did stick a straw all the way down there to see if any smells came up from the bottom and we seem to be in the clear!

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:42 pm

Funny story- I have the same spongebob shell... One of my guys came with it. Thank goodness he changed.
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:14 pm

I thought Bob would never change out of that shell! But he finally picked a better shell and now has a mini me who hangs out with him ImageImage I hope you can see them. They like to hide together.

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:20 pm

It's like spotting where Waldo is they are so cute!

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:10 pm

Haha yeah it is. But they're so cute with their matching shells lol. Wish I could get a better picture of them doing this but they mainly do it when they're sleeping during the day.