heating for new 55g tank!

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
rednerite

heating for new 55g tank!

Post by rednerite » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:53 am

Hi all, I am preparing to buy new supplies for my new 55 gallon tank.

I am wondering what wattage I should be buying for bulbs, and how many? Also, do you use the ultratherm heat mat or the uth rainforest (I forget the brand name)?

I'm also wondering if you have insulated the back side of your larger tanks with Styrofoam? I currently have a 40 gallon breeder with only a 50 watt night bulb and 50 watt day bulb running alongside a medium rainforest uth in a warmer room in the house.

The new tank will be in a colder room so I'm worried about getting the correct heating elements to set up so I'm not wasting my money! Advice is appreciated!
7 PPs: Arji, Ernie, Bert, Godzilla, Mothra, Shelley, Peewee
2 Violas: Alto, Clef

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: heating for new 55g tank!

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:19 am

There not much we can do as every tank will be different.
The best bet to go is to get a UTH that covers the entire back wall above the substrate line. Insulation the back & sides will help keep the heat in. Thats what seems to work with most people, so it *should* work.
If it is still too cold - eg below 75F is the lowest for me - then it may be worth getting a heat lamp or another UTH to go on the side. I heard that a few people have used CHE (ceramic heat emitters) with very good success, maybe look into those?
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

CrabbySquirrel

Post by CrabbySquirrel » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:46 am

I have heard the same re: a UTH that covers the entire back, and I have also heard really good things about the Ultratherm brand, so the one I ordered for my 55 was the 11x48 one from the Bean Farm, which covers the whole back (although I haven't attached it yet -- it's going to be a while until I can get my 55 setup :? )

MuseCrazy

Post by MuseCrazy » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:00 am

I have a 150 gal, and I mostly use lamps for my set up. I have a 100 watt reptile daylight bulb during the day and one of the red night bulbs that I keep on 24/7. Also have 2 small heat mats on the tank. My temps stay above 80 during the day and go down to 78-77 at night.

moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:06 pm

I just upgraded to a 55 gallon and ordered an 11x48 ultratherm from the bean farm. I automatically assumed (and we all know what assuming does lol) I should insulate it with foil and did so before putting my crabs in so I could gauge how well it worked. Good thing I waited bc my tank got up to 88F. I now just have the ultratherm with no insulation and the temp stays between 80-83F. I keep my house around 70F just to give you something to go off of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:47 pm

I also use the 11x48 Ultratherm in my 75gal and i recently deduced that using many pieces of double sided scotch tape (from the dollar store) enables the UTH to hug closer to the tank, which i believe optimizes its effect. Please give it a try!

Topic author
rednerite

Post by rednerite » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:48 pm

Awesome, thanks for the tips! I will be buying the ultratherm. It will also be more aesthetically pleasing, and I won't have to worry about hot dome lamps !
7 PPs: Arji, Ernie, Bert, Godzilla, Mothra, Shelley, Peewee
2 Violas: Alto, Clef

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:36 am

I'm nuts over Ultratherms, I'm glad they have another patron!

moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:06 pm

I'll never buy another brand now that I have an ultratherm! They're awesome!

Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

kitkathermiesworld

Post by kitkathermiesworld » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:35 am

I've been using a 75watt bulb during the day for my 75 gallon tank & (2) 60watt Night time heating bulbs for the night's since it's usually colder. My tank lid is covered with plastic wrap (60%) of it and the lights alone seem to keep my tank above 80°. My house doesn't really get that cold especially not their room so that could be the reason.
8PPs 6 E's in a 75gallon tank
2 Beautiful girls 3 Guinea Pigs
Loveableexotics.com (coming soon) hermies & bearded dragons will be available

dinky

Post by dinky » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:11 am

CrabbySquirrel wrote:I have heard the same re: a UTH that covers the entire back, and I have also heard really good things about the Ultratherm brand, so the one I ordered for my 55 was the 11x48 one from the Bean Farm, which covers the whole back (although I haven't attached it yet -- it's going to be a while until I can get my 55 setup :? )
I don't get on much to talk with you all anymore, life is so busy that all my free time I spend with my crabs, but noticed your comment and wanted to tell you I absolutely love the Ultratherm heating mats from Bean Farm. I have them on 3 of my tanks. I live in NW Florida, but it does get cold here, shortly I will go to the dollar tree and get some of their white foam board and I cover and insulate more of the outside to maintain my heat. But I have had these heating mats for over 4 years now and they are great! Just put one on my 45 gal. deep tank for my E's, and the price is good on them considering what they charge for the other UTH in pet stores
Happy owner of 10 pp's, 7 E's, 2 straws, 1 ruggie, 2 viola's, 2 dogs, to many kids to count and one awesome hubby

CrabbySquirrel

Post by CrabbySquirrel » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:57 am

YYWW, thanks for the comment on double-sided tape - I'll probably end up doing that, and then putting some gorilla tape on the ends, just for double-security....great idea!

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:36 am

CrabbySquirrel wrote:YYWW, thanks for the comment on double-sided tape - I'll probably end up doing that, and then putting some gorilla tape on the ends, just for double-security....great idea!
Welcome!

moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:38 pm

I didn't use double sided tape but I can vouch for gorilla tape. It was my first time using it but man is it strong. And sticky!