Alan's Hermit Crabs

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
Alan'sHermitCrabs

Alan's Hermit Crabs

Post by Alan'sHermitCrabs » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:13 pm

Hello Friends,

I am new to the HCA forums but have found it to be an invaluable resource as I set up my children’s crabitat last year. Matthew and Brooke love playing with ‘Hermie’ and ‘Princess America’. I decided a couple weeks ago to build a crabitat in my office for my students (and me) to enjoy.

I set to work looking for the required supplies to build a new crabitat. I already had two cabinets for a stand. I found a 55 gallon fish tank on Craigslist for $40 and got a screen cover for an additional $20. I already have an LED light from a previous fish tank which is on a digital timer, turning on from 7AM to 7PM. I cleaned the tank with vinegar and washed it down with well water. While the tank dried, I soaked three blocks of coconut fiber. Once it had expanded, I laid the coconut fiber across the bottom approximately an inch deep. I hope to separate my substrate into three sections with sand on the left, coconut fiber on the right, and a mix in the middle.

I understand that the substrate should be three times as deep as the height of the largest crab. However, I have read that you should start shallow and add substrate after the hermit crabs have adjusted to the new environment. Regrettably, I lost a hermit crab early on to burying itself under 6-8 inches of sand. In the first three months, I thought it was molting. After 6 months, the smell was a telltale sign that it had not survived. At what point do you raise the level of the substrate?

I used some old driftwood from a fish tank as well as a hollowed log and cork tree bark to provide a place for my hermies to hide. I added two trays for fresh and salt water. Are they big enough? I also hung fake vegetation on the back wall but hope to add much more. I used a bendable vine to twist between all of the decorations. There are small patches of live moss in each corner and a shell shop on the right. There are also two clam shells for food. On the right is coconut and the left has hermit crab food pellets. Is it true that hermit crab food is not good for our little pets?

I currently have seven hermit crabs in this crabitat. They are all on the smaller side except for one medium sized, in front of the left side water. I have not interacted with them yet, so I can not tell you their species or gender. I specifically selected them for their activity in the tank. Each hermit crab was either active in the store or got up and took off as soon as they were laid in shallow water.

I am only at this school on Monday afternoons, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday afternoons. I will mist the entire surface a couple times a day to maintain humidity. I have a thermometer and hygrometer for the tank which I will install tomorrow. Is it true the gauge should be located close to the substrate? I plan on building a homemade humidifier using plans from Instructables.

I have a coconut fiber mat which will be attached to the left wall. I also want to make some upper levels. However, I am a bit of a purist and want my crabitat to look as natural as possible. I have seen some amazing examples on this forum. Most of them use spray foam to make a rock-like display. I am hoping to make something similar in the middle of the back wall. Ideally it would provide ramps to a mid level on the left-center and an upper level on the right.

I would appreciate your thoughts on what I have done so far. I want to make sure I am providing the best environment for my new little friends.

Thank you in advance for your advice,
Alan Smith
Cheshire & West Hartford, Connecticut
Oh So Crabby,
Alan Smith

Cheshire & West Hartford, CT
https://sites.google.com/site/alanshermitcrabs/
6 PP's @ Work: Hemi, Demi, Semi, Quaver, Minim, Semi-Breve
5 PP's @ Home: Hermie, Princess America, Matthew, Brooke, Tooth Fairy
55 Gallon Tat, 49 Gallon Tat, 10 Gallon Iso, 5 Gallon Iso

hermitcrabdc

Re: Alan's Hermit Crabs

Post by hermitcrabdc » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:55 pm

Hello and welcome to the hca!
The answer your questions I would just add the substrate, I've always added the substrate from the beginning of the tank use.
Yes the pellets aren't great, a variety of fruits and vegetables with meat is a good diet for the crabs here is the list of safe foods
http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92557
Your dishes look a little shallow from the picture. Also you are using a conditioner for the water correct?
I think that's about it.
It sounds like your tank is going to look great when you finish with it!
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:06 pm

Welcome!! I agree, just go ahead and add the substrate. I've had 6-8" from the beginning, a mix of cocofiber and playsand, and as long as it's the right consistency (sand castle) there shouldn't be any problems. I know you said you want to have cocofiber on one side, sand on another, and then a mix in the middle but honestly I would just do a mix of 5:1 playsand and cocofiber throughout the whole thing - your crabs will blend it all together, anyway, as they dig around.

I'm not sure if I missed reading it, but do you have a heat source? The temp in there should be about 80 to keep them comfy. I know you said you're going to do a homemade humidifer, which is awesome :)

As far as food, for convenience sake since I have 15 crabs my staple diet is a dried hermit crab kibble from The Hermit Crab Patch. It's a complete diet, but I supplement with fresh foods also, and other premade mixes from them and elsewhere for variety. Do you have a calcium supplement for them? Crushed oyster shell is good, or egg shells, or cuttlebone, or crushed coral..lots of options, and it's definitely something they need.

Other than that, I think your tank is going to look awesome by the time you're done and your crabs will love it :)
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:42 pm

Welcome! BTW i love the video stream you set up its something i have been trying to do for a long time! And i think your tat looks great just make sure your crabs can submerge themselves all the way in their water dishes :D

Topic author
Alan'sHermitCrabs

Post by Alan'sHermitCrabs » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:57 pm

Thanks, I removed the old dishes and replaced them with much deeper sloped water dishes.
Oh So Crabby,
Alan Smith

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:19 pm

It wasn't the deep substrate that killed your first one - all hermit crabs wild caught and even when things are perfect many cannot make the adjustment into captivity. The only way they will get to be okay is if they can get through the first molt in captivity, and for that they need it deep enough to dig in. If they need to molt and they can't dig, they'll molt of the surface and that is extremely dangerous! Better for them to dig into proper substrate when they feel the need to. It's hard on us because we can't know the outcome, but it's the healthiest thing we can offer to them. :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Alan'sHermitCrabs

Post by Alan'sHermitCrabs » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:37 am

Thank you wodesorel. I went with the 5-1 mix of play sand and coconut fiber the next day. You can see it on my video stream.

BTW - I wonder if Wood Sorrel is on the safe food list. I certainly enjoy it! ;)
Oh So Crabby,
Alan Smith