Something is very wrong. Turning green?

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Skymall007

Something is very wrong. Turning green?

Post by Skymall007 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:56 am

I don't know where to begin. The current crab in isolation is my relatively new E, Strangeship, who is still pretty small. He has been naked since yesterday night (I didn't realize that the shell he threw out of the shell shop was actually his) and has been actively climbing around since then. I have tried to convince him to get into a new shell but he won't have it. (For the record he was in a painted shell). His whole abdominal area is green? I gave him a stress coat bath and put him into iso with lots of shells, substrate, fresh water, and food. (I can't fit another bowl in there).

I am even more worried because this past month UMO and Upsidedown passed away. I had both of them for over two years. Upsidedown came up early and naked from his molt. UMO just got lethargic and then passed away. Both were isolated.

I thought I saw a mite on Bluebug so I isoed everyone this past month and deep cleaned everything. This involved digging up Sputnik (my other E) and Strangeship. I put everyone back more than a couple of weeks ago and Bluebug and Sputnik have dug down. I don't know if Strangeship was molting because he usually moves through tunnels anyway and had just molted. Sputnik wasn't pale when I dug him up. I very rarely interupt a molt but I had a bad feeling and every time that feeling has come I have been correct.

I was about to adopt a crab from craigslist but now I feel like I must stop the adoption because something must be wrong. Is this a bacteria?

My tank seems perfect except for my substrate level. I don't know what it was before but it was probabably also too low then. I have 3.5-4 inches right now. I know I need to add more (can I do that with crabs underground)?

My room is 73 F but I have heat lamps. I need to buy new humidity gauges because they keep dissaparing (the crabs bury them). I also worry because I can't find the blue hermit crab water dechlornater at the stores so I switched to the one from the fish tank section. That one seems to turn solid? It concerns me. It also may have turned my water spray bottle bottom this weird yellow color which also worries me.

Right now my conditions are as follows:

29 gallon tank with three crabs. One PP (maybe small/small medium) and a small E and one full grown E.
Two shell shops with lots of shells in each of all sizes and types. All are natural shells.

Two water bowls. One aquarium salt water and one fresh. Always dechlorinated.

Lots of climbing toys and hides. Overhead nightlights (though they seem to see the light despite being nocturnal bulbs).

Play sand and cocofiber sub mixed to sand castle consistency with aquarium salt water. 3.5-4 inches. (I intend to add more. I just need to know if that is ok while crabs are molting).

I feed them unspiced leftover fruits and veggies. Apples, bananas, coconut, chicken, dehydrated snacks for rabbits and bearded dragon, some dry beardie food, applesauce, potato, plum, sardines, honey, organic peanut butter, HCP powder food, juvi iguana pellets, some dry tort food. I give them shrimp as well.

Please let me know. I am very worried. Thank you in advanced.
2Es- Sputnikt+Strangeship 1PP- Bluebug
RIP Spatula, HerbitHermenBatSquash, Kiwi, Flour, and Friendlyfeat, Mi6, Grape, Umo, and Upsidedown

TheLilMommaB

Re: Something is very wrong. Turning green?

Post by TheLilMommaB » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:34 am

Sorry I'm not sure what's going on but I just wanted to offer a little help. In your iso I've heard on here of people using bottle caps as food bowls to make more room...also if you can let everyone know what brands your salt and declorinator are it might help one of the crabbers that have been doing this alot longer than me to offer you some advice.

Stay at home mommy to 4 kids (Ana 11, Joseph 9, Alizabeth 6, and Christian 2) 8 cats, 6 purple pincher hermit crabs, 4 little molly fish, 3 ferrets, 2 parrakets, 2 Oscars, 1 red eared slider, 1 cockatiel, 1 goldfish and 1 bone headed pittbull.
Stay at home mommy to 4 kids (Ana 11, Joseph 9, Alizabeth 6, and Christian 2) 8 cats, 5, hermits, 4 little molly fish, 3 ferrets, 2 parrakets, 2 Oscars, 1 cockatiel, 1 gold fish, and 1 bone headed pittbull.

TheLilMommaB

Post by TheLilMommaB » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:42 am

Also this form really helps people figure out what could be going wrong. Just copy and paste it then add your answers in.

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
7. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
8. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
9. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
10. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
11. How often do you clean the tank and how?
12. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
13. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
14. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
15. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

Stay at home mommy to 4 kids (Ana 11, Joseph 9, Alizabeth 6, and Christian 2) 8 cats, 6 purple pincher hermit crabs, 4 little molly fish, 3 ferrets, 2 parrakets, 2 Oscars, 1 red eared slider, 1 cockatiel, 1 goldfish and 1 bone headed pittbull.
Stay at home mommy to 4 kids (Ana 11, Joseph 9, Alizabeth 6, and Christian 2) 8 cats, 5, hermits, 4 little molly fish, 3 ferrets, 2 parrakets, 2 Oscars, 1 cockatiel, 1 gold fish, and 1 bone headed pittbull.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:18 am

For sure deepen your substrate. Too shallow substrate has a higher risk of disturbed molts which can be caused by or lead to collapsed caves/tunnels, which in turn can lead to a crab coming up from molt too soon and maybe naked (they will ditch their shell if it makes digging out easier). It can also lead to delayed molts, which when put off for too long can cause illness and death. It is safe to add prepared substrate a handful at a time on top, without packing down, while crabs are under.
What temp is your crabitat? Definitely pick up a hygrometer soon. It's not good to guess on humidity or temp. Best to know for sure. What salt mix are you using? What brand Dechlorinator?
With the naked crab, it's important to get him reshelled asap. If he will not put one on himself you may need to gently help him into one. I'm not sure about his abdomen being green but Es can be greenish so it may just be natural coloring. Once reshelled keep him isolated until he's acting normal and to make sure he remains shelled.

Topic author
Skymall007

Post by Skymall007 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:43 am

I will fill out the question air in just one moment. I have tried to help him gently into the shell but he just leaves again. The salt is insta ocean and the decorinator is api tap water conditioner.
RIP Spatula, HerbitHermenBatSquash, Kiwi, Flour, and Friendlyfeat, Mi6, Grape, Umo, and Upsidedown

Topic author
Skymall007

Post by Skymall007 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:02 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
-Playsand & coco-fiber mix to sand-castle consistency with insta-ocean and api-dechlorinator. (3.5" deep, can go deeper)

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
-No. Will be buying today. Have a point/shoot thermometer. (sprayed 2-3 times daily with de-chlorinated water)

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
-Noctural lightbulbs approx. 1 ft from top of substrate.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Insta-ocean salt water and fresh water (both dechlorinated). Salt is not measured, just using one pinch in about 1.5 cups of water.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
-New food every two days. (includes fruits/veggies, chicken, dried shrimp, honey, bearded dragon food, apples, organic coconut flour)

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
-Strangeship is an E. and I've had him a few months.

7. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
-29 gallon fish tank with a mesh top. Lots of hiding and climbing spots.

8. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
-Since the deaths of my older big hermits (Umo and upsidedown) there are now three crabs.

9. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
-Three hand fulls. (20?)

10. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
-No.

11. How often do you clean the tank and how?
-I try to clean it once or twice a year. Last deep clean was a few weeks ago.

12. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
-No.

13. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
-No. Everything got cleaned a few weeks ago.

14. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime,
bathing, etc.)?
-I've had two crab deaths this month. (one came up from molting naked, the other was lethargic) I have boiled all the shells and have bleached, washed and dried everything used in the tank at least once this year.

15. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
-Since yesterday evening, Strangeship has been naked and crawling around the tank. Recently has been more active. Some shells may have fallen on him when he tried to look through new shells. He was in a painted shell, but only natural shells are in the tank. He has had one successful molt. He has not been chirping. I did give him a bath in API stress coat.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:07 pm

The main concerns are substrate depth and knowing for sure what the temperature and humidity are. Also, here's a guide on measuring/mixing saltwater:
All of the major salt brands are measured the same, depending on how much you need:

1 gallon of water to ½ cup of salt mix
½ gallon (which is 2 quarts) of water to ¼ cup salt mix
1 Pint (which is 2 cups) of water to 1 Tablespoon (which is 3 teaspoons) salt mix
1 cup of water to ½ Tablespoon (which is 1 and ½ teaspoon) of salt mix
http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92553
Nothing else stands out to me.

Topic author
Skymall007

Post by Skymall007 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:54 pm

Thank you so much. I shall def. do that from now on. I was always just guessing and haven't had any problems but now I worry. Is the Api stuff safe? I don't like how it turns solid

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:08 pm

What API product are you using to dechlorinate? I've never heard of one turning solid before, but it will crust into crystals if it's allowed to evaporate. (All dechlorinators are made from dissolved crystalline minerals.) I would return it for a refund immediately if you aren't sure about using it. A fish dechlor is more recommended than a hermit crab one. The hermit crab products are overpriced, often don't remove ammonia or heavy metals, and often contain unneeded dyes.

There is a listing of all the common dechlorinator products here. For safety, you want something that removes chlorine/chloramines, ammonia and heavy metals.
http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92553
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Skymall007

Post by Skymall007 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:16 pm

I have been using one for fish that says it removes all of the contamjnents. I think it is the crystals from evaporation. My hermit crab conditioner never did that. Made by mars fish care of north America. Not sure if that helps. Is it possible to be using too much of it?

Topic author
Skymall007

Post by Skymall007 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:41 pm

I am calibrating a humidity gauge right now. Temp is 80.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:40 pm

Overdosing dechlor isn't usually a big issue as it's not fatal even at huge overdose amounts. I once chucked a half a huge bottle of Prime in my 20 gallon fish tank because I didn't realize the dripper on it had fallen off. I did a big water change and there wasn't any problems, only the loss of 6 months of worth of dechlor! However, it's not something that I recommend doing more than once. :lol: Make sure to read the directions and use only as much as it says. Some dechlors are dosed at 2 drops a gallon, some at a Tablespoon. Every brand is going to be different.

Topic author
Skymall007

Post by Skymall007 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:30 pm

Thank you so much. :) Sputnik I just found naked too. He is in a new tank with around 6 inches of substrate now. Might be higher in some places. He happily got into a new shell though. Strangeship still refuses shells

Topic author
Skymall007

Post by Skymall007 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:31 pm

Also strange ship's attenae is looking curly.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:06 pm

Is there any way you can post some photos? Do you know what happened to the shells they had been wearing?