Loveable Exotics (coming soon)

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Topic author
kitkathermiesworld

Re: Loveable Exotics (coming soon)

Post by kitkathermiesworld » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:16 pm

ErikRasmussen wrote:Is polycarbonate sheets okay for crabs? I want to go to the hardware store and get a sheet of it for a DIY lid and maybe some other stuff.
I would say yes.... Because it was use for a few people's aquariums & it's also use to make reusable water bottles that we use. I decided to get that instead of glass because its 200x stronger and Acrylic is only 6x stronger.
8PPs 6 E's in a 75gallon tank
2 Beautiful girls 3 Guinea Pigs
Loveableexotics.com (coming soon) hermies & bearded dragons will be available

jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:23 pm

Polycarbonate is awesome for lids. I don't have any experience with it myself, but I have heard many experienced hobbyists refer to its sustainability. It's called Lexan at Home Depot and Lowe's. :)
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:28 pm

kitkathermiesworld wrote: I would say yes.... Because it was use for a few people's aquariums & it's also use to make reusable water bottles that we use. I decided to get that instead of glass because its 200x stronger and Acrylic is only 6x stronger.
Please elaborate on these water bottles. Are you taking sheets of polycarbonate and making bottles out of them? Can you please post a pic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:15 pm

Also, some opinions on this project:

I really like Aussie's idea. I was thinking having the isos with full substrate, perfect for molting. The main tank could be like pet store conditions, in which the sub was only 1 to 2 inches. Any crabs in less than fair conditions would be instantly placed in the isos, and allowed to molt. The main tank would be used for healthy crabs, provided with deep pools, and all the other necessities. I would also look into ordering large amounts of cholla wood if you haven't already. Ebay has some pretty nice deals.

The best option in my opinion, though, would be for the large tank to be exactly like one that we would have: Deep substrate, 80/80 conditions, etc. You could then have one or two tanks set aside with the pet store substrate conditions. I would have orders be placed 2 weeks in advance, and I would choose the healthiest crabs, and place them in those two tanks, so as to be monitored before they're ordered. I like the idea of placing a small, numbered sticker on each crab's shell, so as to track them. I would also divide the main tank up by species, so as to avoid too much conflict.

I would also look into UVB lighting. Especially if money's not an issue, the UVB light has been known to provide brighter coloring in crabs.

Have you considered breeding? If you were able to successfully set up a breeding system, especially with the two large water totes, you could really help promote the anti-wild-caught hermit crab movement. I would most definitely pay a surplus for captive bred crabs, and the more you did it, the cheaper it would become, until it beat out shipping prices from wild-caught corporations.

Good luck with this project, I can't wait to see it progress :crabbigsmile:
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...

moonshermies

Post by moonshermies » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:24 pm

I havent read this whole thread yet , but wanted to say, I have a polycarbonate sheet I use as a lid for my tat.it is wonderful for keeping in the heat & humidity..I found mine in the scrap/reuse pile in our yard..cleaned it up some..

Sent from HTC EVO, using Tapatalk 2
Mom to 3 children,&2 adorable medium PPS..Not a new member..My old sn was deleted after a hiatus from the death of my pp 2 yrs ago..

Topic author
kitkathermiesworld

Post by kitkathermiesworld » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:11 pm

YYWW wrote: Please elaborate on these water bottles. Are you taking sheets of polycarbonate and making bottles out of them? Can you please post a pic?

Sorry but I do not make them but I do use them for my water cooler.

Topic author
kitkathermiesworld

Post by kitkathermiesworld » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:18 pm

jarteta97 wrote:Also, some opinions on this project:

I really like Aussie's idea. I was thinking having the isos with full substrate, perfect for molting. The main tank could be like pet store conditions, in which the sub was only 1 to 2 inches. Any crabs in less than fair conditions would be instantly placed in the isos, and allowed to molt. The main tank would be used for healthy crabs, provided with deep pools, and all the other necessities. I would also look into ordering large amounts of cholla wood if you haven't already. Ebay has some pretty nice deals.

The best option in my opinion, though, would be for the large tank to be exactly like one that we would have: Deep substrate, 80/80 conditions, etc. You could then have one or two tanks set aside with the pet store substrate conditions. I would have orders be placed 2 weeks in advance, and I would choose the healthiest crabs, and place them in those two tanks, so as to be monitored before they're ordered. I like the idea of placing a small, numbered sticker on each crab's shell, so as to track them. I would also divide the main tank up by species, so as to avoid too much conflict.

I would also look into UVB lighting. Especially if money's not an issue, the UVB light has been known to provide brighter coloring in crabs.

Have you considered breeding? If you were able to successfully set up a breeding system, especially with the two large water totes, you could really help promote the anti-wild-caught hermit crab movement. I would most definitely pay a surplus for captive bred crabs, and the more you did it, the cheaper it would become, until it beat out shipping prices from wild-caught corporations.

Good luck with this project, I can't wait to see it progress :crabbigsmile:
Thank You :) & I like your ideas...
I did however find a cholla wood supplier so that's out the way.. I was also thinking about using UVB lights if my light's can get mounted inside my tank since the UVB wouldn't really pass threw the polycarbonate.
I've read about breeding them on Kuza straw thread and it seems very hard to do especially the constant water changes and the proper water cycling and making their tanks the correct way.I would love to maybe try one day but I'm not sure how successful I will be. I would pay alot of money if my hermies weren't caught in the wild as well especially since they would be stress free.

jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:43 pm

For the uvb, I actually bought a fluorescent light fixture at home depot a couple months ago (for a different purpose). Using command strips, I have not only mounted the light sideways on glass, but also upside down. Mine that I bought is too short, but I hope to eventually buy a longer one that can fit a uvb, and mount it sideways on the glass in the back, right below the rim of the tank. It would probably cost 80-100 dollars for both the fixture and the light.

Breeding isn't something I would consider absolutely necesarry. Eventually doing it once you have enough experience, though, is a really good idea :)

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:06 am

kitkathermiesworld wrote:
Sorry but I do not make them but I do use them for my water cooler.
Woops! Thanks for clarifying, i misunderstood Image

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:54 pm

#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

teardrop

Post by teardrop » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:49 am

with humidity it might take a few of them for such a big tank but id use reptimeds fogger system in all of your tanks they work great and can keep your humidity as high as 95% if you want

sent from my galaxy s3 using tapatalk

teardrop

Post by teardrop » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:51 am

also you can get a reptimed digital heat/humidity controler that you set and forget it will turn the heat sorce on and off at a set temp and the foggers on and off at a set humidity thats what I use and highly recommend

sent from my galaxy s3 using tapatalk

jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:57 pm

With a tank that size, an automated misting system, particularly a MistKing would be most appropriate. Foggers do help, but like you said, multiple would have to be purchased, and the misting system just really works better.

AnDi

Post by AnDi » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:56 pm

I love my Mistking, does a great job.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

uphoto

Post by uphoto » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:55 am

wondering how things are coming with the new business
PPs: Carmen, Aurora, Angel

My 60g Tank Build - http://tinyurl.com/pqehaga