Progress on my new 45gal

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
Vallora

Progress on my new 45gal

Post by Vallora » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:12 pm

This past weekend I finally got the heating system and moved all of my active crabs in. My family and friends have generously collected palmetto bark for them to climb all over, it's a big hit!

Two of the palmetto barks, there had been three hermies sitting on them, but they scurried away when I started cleaning and replenishing. A root nest used to hold the extra shells, a cork round cave and a massive partial conch shell I found on the beach that they love to sit in.

The freshwater pool has clean coral on the bottom to let them climb in and out. I like the coral much more than sea sponges that get stinky. The salt water is in the big scallop. And for dinner they're having various seeds and dried tuna flakes. :crabbigsmile:
Hermit crabs are my creatures, because they too are mistaken as loners...

hermieluv1

Re: Progress on my new 45gal

Post by hermieluv1 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:42 am

Nice! What kind of substrate is that?

Topic author
Vallora

Post by Vallora » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:51 am

hermieluv1 wrote:Nice! What kind of substrate is that?
One side has a light layer of ground coconut shells that I had leftover from my orchid phase. It holds moisture wonderfully. The rest is baked beach sand and EcoEarth, about a ratio of 3/2.
Hermit crabs are my creatures, because they too are mistaken as loners...

Ellysara

Post by Ellysara » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:08 pm

Looks good! I'm sure the Palmetto bark is very fun to climb on! I did want to ask about your water dish depth however. Are all your crabs able to completely submerge in both types of water?
9 PPs: Rocky, Bullwinkle, Jackie, Tatiana, Claudette, Shy-Guy, Simon and two not yet named.
2 house rabbits: Yojimbo and Nikki
1 axolotl: Birdo
2 cats: Leo and Maya