NEW HELP! CRAB MOLTING CRISIS!

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
anoori9000

NEW HELP! CRAB MOLTING CRISIS!

Post by anoori9000 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:46 pm

So i got 2 Purple Pinchers from petco, probably not the best place, about a month and a half with painted shells. one of them went in to a new shell that wasn't painted, so thats good!

Anyway, the one in the new shell is probably about a golfball size, maybe a little bit bigger. He's always been kinda docile, never usually moves much just kinda sits around in his little hut. Never see him active, as apposed to the other one which is always making some sort of trouble. :D

About a week and a half ago, he dug himself up under his hut. Haven't seen him since and I don't know what to think of it. There is about 7in of sand and a tiny bit of coconut fiber for substrate. Its very moist. could be warmer in the tank, stays at about 72. Humidity about 80.

I don't smell anything. The other crab actually sits sort of right on top of where he's dug up, but who knows where he is now. So what do you think? Stressed? Dead? Molting? Crazy?

Thanks!
Last edited by anoori9000 on Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ellysara

Re: Is it dead, or alive? Molting? Perhaps...

Post by Ellysara » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:43 pm

Most likely molting or destressing or both. Definitely work on getting that temp up however. Safe zone is 75 to 85. Also, don't be surprised if he takes one to four months to molt, and don't go digging in the meantime. It is extremely common for new crabs to dig down soon after getting to their new homes.

Welcome :D
9 PPs: Rocky, Bullwinkle, Jackie, Tatiana, Claudette, Shy-Guy, Simon and two not yet named.
2 house rabbits: Yojimbo and Nikki
1 axolotl: Birdo
2 cats: Leo and Maya

Topic author
anoori9000

Post by anoori9000 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:06 pm

Ellysara wrote:Most likely molting or destressing or both. Definitely work on getting that temp up however. Safe zone is 75 to 85. Also, don't be surprised if he takes one to four months to molt, and don't go digging in the meantime. It is extremely common for new crabs to dig down soon after getting to their new homes.

Welcome :D
Here is my deilema:

I have 2 hermit crab heaters running at the same time at opposite sides of the tank. I also have an old incandescent light that will raise the heat, but it significantly lower the humidity. So, how might I raise the heat then. I've already bought two hermit crab heaters that stick to the glass, what else can i do. The tank is only a 5 gal (ik too small). Thanks!

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:28 pm

I think you can use the light to raise heat but you need more sources of humidity. Moss pit, pools, humidifier?
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:50 am

Do you have insulation over the heaters? I found that it really helps keep the temperature up.

Topic author
anoori9000

Post by anoori9000 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:21 pm

Ryry wrote:I think you can use the light to raise heat but you need more sources of humidity. Moss pit, pools, humidifier?
I have a sponge in there. Soil is very moist. I'd still have to keep the light off at night though.

Topic author
anoori9000

Post by anoori9000 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:25 pm

hermieluv1 wrote:Do you have insulation over the heaters? I found that it really helps keep the temperature up.
What kind of insulation? That may be a good idea!

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:17 pm

I put tinfoil right over the heater and cardboard over that. I know some people have used styrofoam or actual insulating material from some where like Home Depot. But I am finding the cardboard is working just fine.

Thicker is probably better in this case. And I used a lot of tinfoil and brought it down to help keep the substrate warm.
All kinds of crabby!

moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:25 pm

It's not recommended to keep sponges. They harbor all kinds of bacteria if not cleaned properly and usually it's easier to just add some kind of moss pit or even spray once or twice a day. My moss pits are great at raising my humidity plus my crabs LOVE the pits. They sleep in the moss pits regularly during the day. And as far as insulation goes foil or styrofoam can be used to insulate. Just tape them over the heater and watch the temp rise I originally had foil over my UTH and my temp reached 88F. I took it off because it was too hot but it raised the temp about 6-7 degrees (higher than with just the UTH) so that's an easy and cheap solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:43 am

I use the 1" pink insulation over mine. But any kind is better than nothing.

Topic author
anoori9000

Post by anoori9000 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:14 am

moonbeam wrote:It's not recommended to keep sponges. They harbor all kinds of bacteria if not cleaned properly and usually it's easier to just add some kind of moss pit or even spray once or twice a day. My moss pits are great at raising my humidity plus my crabs LOVE the pits. They sleep in the moss pits regularly during the day. And as far as insulation goes foil or styrofoam can be used to insulate. Just tape them over the heater and watch the temp rise Image I originally had foil over my UTH and my temp reached 88F. I took it off because it was too hot but it raised the temp about 6-7 degrees (higher than with just the UTH) so that's an easy and cheap solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What kind of moss do you think I should buy? Can I just search hermit crab moss? Thanks!

Topic author
anoori9000

Post by anoori9000 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:15 am

Ryry wrote:I put tinfoil right over the heater and cardboard over that. I know some people have used styrofoam or actual insulating material from some where like Home Depot. But I am finding the cardboard is working just fine.

Thicker is probably better in this case. And I used a lot of tinfoil and brought it down to help keep the substrate warm.

Wow! Thanks for providing a picture! This is a really good idea!

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:18 am

No problem- I'm a visual person. I have the sides and the back foiled and insulated, I live in ct and my winters get cold! I feel like the foil helps reflect heat back and the cardboard or insulation helps hold it in, so it doesn't just dissipate. My house gets pretty cold.
All kinds of crabby!

YYWW

Is it dead, or alive? Molting? Perhaps...

Post by YYWW » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:24 am

anoori9000 wrote: What kind of moss do you think I should buy? Can I just search hermit crab moss? Thanks!
You can use any moss that isn't dyed (shadey green color). I think peat moss is to be stayed away from (too chunky with sharp bits). I used beaked moss for lizards that i'm not so into (dries too fast and lots of sticks and stems). A lot of crabbers just go to their home improvement/hardware store and get moss for cheap, the kind that's used for orchids. I've heard of crabbers using sphagnum moss. The best moss i've ever seen came from someone's pesticide free front yard! Image i think it was pergatoryinccc

EDIT: it was her back yard! Image viewtopic.php?t=99976

Topic author
anoori9000

Post by anoori9000 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:59 pm

HELP! My molting hermit crab came up and went out of his shell! The other hermit crab who is small than him was next to his shell, and he was on the other side of the tank all naked! I she done molting? Did the other crab force him out? What happened!