Airstone question

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
Kcoffey89

Airstone question

Post by Kcoffey89 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:19 pm

Hey guys!

I've been using airstones in my pools for a while. The problem is sometimes they will last a while sometimes a couple days. I've used two different brands. Is this common? At the most they may last a couple weeks

YYWW

Re: Airstone question

Post by YYWW » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:44 pm

I've used the same airstones continuously 24/7 for 4-5 months now and dont seem to have any issues or need for replacement. What is happening to yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Kcoffey89

Post by Kcoffey89 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:03 pm

YYWW wrote:I've used the same airstones continuously 24/7 for 4-5 months now and dont seem to have any issues or need for replacement. What is happening to yours?

I'm not sure they start out strong and all of a sudden there just done. The air flow coming through hose is fine. It's happened so often I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:04 pm

They stop bubbling? Or do they fall apart and crumble?

Topic author
Kcoffey89

Post by Kcoffey89 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:26 pm

YYWW wrote:They stop bubbling? Or do they fall apart and crumble?

Sorry they just quit bubbling

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:06 am

Sorry, but i have to ask, about your water:
Dechlorinator being used, name?
Salt being used?
Are both bubblers stopping at the same time?
Are you dechlorinating your saltwater?
How often do you change your water?
How dirty do your pools get, can you describe or show your pools and describe the amount of dirtiness?

Topic author
Kcoffey89

Post by Kcoffey89 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:45 am

YYWW wrote:Sorry, but i have to ask, about your water:
Dechlorinator being used, name?
Salt being used?
Are both bubblers stopping at the same time?
Are you dechlorinating your saltwater?
How often do you change your water?
How dirty do your pools get, can you describe or show your pools and describe the amount of dirtiness?

I've been using that zoo med combo you get at pet sense. They usually do stop at same time. I usually try to change water every three to four days. My pools are small plastics containers about inch to inch and a half deep. They can get a little dirty at times but usually not too bad

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:54 am

Ok so the first thing is:
You will need new water treatment. Use a dechlorinator such as seachem, 2-4 drops to a gallon, for FW and SW. This isnt necessarily causing your issue, but it is important to crab health that you have properly treated water. Then you should also switch to a real seasalt SW treatment such as instant ocean sea salt.
Next, what brand airstone are you using? If possible please link to the product.
Next, try soaking the dead stones in hot tap water, rinse in hot tap water, then plunk in the pools and try again.
I'm no airstone expert, but mine seem so long lasting and no signs of issues. If it turns out you've just got bad stones, i can offer to mail you the ones i'm using, just because i want to use different ones for my next pool upgrade, and like a 10 pack cost me about $5.

Topic author
Kcoffey89

Post by Kcoffey89 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:27 pm

YYWW wrote:Ok so the first thing is:
You will need new water treatment. Use a dechlorinator such as seachem, 2-4 drops to a gallon, for FW and SW. This isnt necessarily causing your issue, but it is important to crab health that you have properly treated water. Then you should also switch to a real seasalt SW treatment such as instant ocean sea salt.
Next, what brand airstone are you using? If possible please link to the product.
Next, try soaking the dead stones in hot tap water, rinse in hot tap water, then plunk in the pools and try again.
I'm no airstone expert, but mine seem so long lasting and no signs of issues. If it turns out you've just got bad stones, i can offer to mail you the ones i'm using, just because i want to use different ones for my next pool upgrade, and like a 10 pack cost me about $5.

Thanks about water treatment advice I ordered all new will be here Thursday. I cant remember the exact brand I think there sand airstones got from pet sense. Sorry threw away the package.I once used the kind you get at Walmart. Thank you for your help I'll try soaking when they mess up again. Thanks

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:07 pm

K good luck! Keep me posted!