Dry substrate

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Kcoffey89

Dry substrate

Post by Kcoffey89 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:03 pm

Hello,

So a while back I posted on here about how I forgot to add water to my 5:1 eco/sand substrate.
I took out all my crabs and kept adding water until sandcastle like. Time has passed ive actually had a crab molting for going on two months now.

Tuesday I took a straw and pushed through the sand and it caved in easily. I generally spray top everyday.Well I started digging and noticed the middle layer was very dry.
(Bottom few inches seemed ok). So on the side where my molting crab isn't i sprayed it until it was good. I check today and it seems almost completely dry again.

Hopefully my molted crab comes up soon so I can fix it. Does anybody have any recommendations? Before I thought it was good enough but it didn't seem to last.

Teedeums

Re: Dry substrate

Post by Teedeums » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:34 pm

I've found that Eco earth dries out quickly. Maybe add a bit more sand, it holds moisture better. I don't really know though, hopefully someone does. And maybe increase the overall humidity of your tank, that could help?
5 PPs; Ghast, Eager, Boomer, Plato, and Indigo
2 Family Dogs; Lilly and Ginger

Have a very crabby day! =D