Cinnamon and Niphredil *added Athelas pics*

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
CallaLily

Cinnamon and Niphredil *added Athelas pics*

Post by CallaLily » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:55 am

I've been wanting to share these pics for a while now but unable due to Tapatalk issues. Finally able to hop on the laptop to share. :D
Cinnamon went down for a molt in the beginning of September and came up November 5th. Looks to be a healthy molt. :D
And Niphredil went down in September as well and was up November 8th. She looks pretty good, still has the whitish eyes that she came up with last molt. She can see shadows at least but doesn't seem to see as well as the others. When I purchased her Sept 28, 2008 she had two different colored eyes - one brownish-red, the other blackish-yellow. They stayed that way through many molts until after coming up from a molt April-May this year, when the difference wasn't as obvious. She molted again in June-July and resurfaced with the white eyes. Then this molt they look the same. Back to back molts may have something to do with her eyes but also she had lost a limb in April-May, regrew it in June-July, and now it's normal sized. Otherwise she seems fairly healthy. Lots of energy and a good appetite. Hopefully she'll hold off molting for a bit. These back to back molts make me nervous. :worry::
Also here is a thrift shop find. A resin dish that I'm using for a leaf pit. I think it was $2.

jennifer711983

Re: Cinnamon and Niphredil

Post by jennifer711983 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:08 pm

You have some beautiful crabs.....I cannot wait until mine become that big!! I probably wont be able to handle them though...my biggest came up from his last molt super pinchy!

Sent from my LG-C800 using Tapatalk 2

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:24 pm

Beautiful ladies, Calla! Glad to hear they both had successful molts. Love that resin dish, too -- thrift store finds are always so unique...you know what they say, that one man's junk is another's treasure :wink: .
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:32 pm

Thank you. None of mine are super pinchy but I definitely respect those BPs!! I don't handle them often either.

Cinnamon is a male but I think he's pretty too.:D I love looking in thrift stores. Sometimes I even come across shells. :)

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:38 pm

Such beautiful babies!
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:01 pm

Just noticed Athelas is up too! She went down August 4th. I'm not sure if she just came up today or if she's been up and I just assumed she was Chunk (they're close to the same size but Chunk is Male and darker).

JoeyCoenobita

Re: Cinnamon and Niphredil *added Athelas pics*

Post by JoeyCoenobita » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:19 pm

Over 3 months underground????? I can barely handle it when mine are down for 1 1/2...

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:14 pm

I'm getting used to the 2-3 months. I still worry! I'm just not completely freaking out. :lol:

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:08 am

Love Athelas's shell! Do you remember where you got it? Was it one you ordered?
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:01 am

It's a tapestry turbo. I've purchased some from the Hermit Crab Patch, Deltona, and local beach shops. Others came with adoptions which I think is where the one she's wearing came from. They're great shells. PPs love them and they hold up well to crab abuse. They can be many shades of brown to almost orangey or even greenish.

Edit: Montana is finally up today too but I don't think she's molted - her nails look not as pointy as they were. Hadn't seen her since Sept I think. Hard to say for sure because I think some of the time I'm mixing up her, Popcorn, and Dola. All females, similarly sized, and similar coloring. I think Cannonball is finally up too but he's under the cork round so I can't get a good enough look to confirm. Elanor, Chunk, and Emerald have all recently dug under with nice windows for me to see (for now). I'm hoping Emerald decides to stay down and actually molt this time. Chunk and Elanor may just be messing around. Only PPs MIA are Dola (or one of her twins) and Lettie. :) The only E up that I've seen is Suliman.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:23 am

Beautiful crabs!
I don't know how you do it Calla, 2 - 3 month of stress. Thank god I have small crabs! :lol:

(I love your thrift shop find, gotta admit when I saw the words "thrift shop" I was thinking of Macklemore's song...)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:03 am

Thank you. :D My smallest crabs are mediums. The rest are large.

I'll have to search for Macklemore's. Is it only in Australia? A thrift shop?

I did confirm that it was Cannonball under the cork round. He couldn't resist the yummy foods I put in the dish. :D And Emerald came back up. :( He did come to me in really, really good shape in May so I guess I shouldn't worry that he hasn't molted just yet (he's a smaller large). But I will certainly feel better when he gets through that first molt with me!

moonshermies

Post by moonshermies » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:30 pm

Beautiful babies calla!!love the resin dish &shells 2!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mom to 3 children,&2 adorable medium PPS..Not a new member..My old sn was deleted after a hiatus from the death of my pp 2 yrs ago..

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:17 pm

Thanks. :D

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:25 am

CallaLily wrote:Thank you. :D My smallest crabs are mediums. The rest are large.
Please tell me these are large, if so, I hate to think what the larges are like... :o
I'll have to search for Macklemore's. Is it only in Australia? A thrift shop?
Please tell me your joking Calla! Please don't take this the wrong what, but were you living under a rock! I don't know about the US, but the song was playing all over the radio stations in Aus a few months ago (he is a US rapper BTW, so I am surprised you haven't hear of him, since australia is like sheep; we follow whatever everyone else is into! :lol: )

There is a bit of rude words, depending on your definition of rude words. Click at your own risk (it isn't my fault if you start liking the music. )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8mJJJvaes
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies