Eco-Earth + Sand mixing questions.

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
lemonade2

Eco-Earth + Sand mixing questions.

Post by lemonade2 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:10 am

How do you guys combine your Eco-Earth/Sand mixture? Do you do it in layers where you put one of the substrates on the bottom and the other on top, or do you mix it all together? I'm asking because I want to know the safest, most effective, and way that would reduce possible flooding/mold growth.

I was thinking of doing a bottom layer of sand and a Eco-Earth top layer because I also heard Eco-Earth is really effective at breaking down compost and neutralizing odors.

Thanks again!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Eco-Earth + Sand mixing questions.

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:11 am

I personally don't think it is that much of a difference, the crabs will mix it up eventually. :)
However, I guess it is easier on the crabber to add layers, plus when your looking at nothing - eg, mass moults - it interesting seeing so form of entertainment, not matter if it comes from the sand! Plus i think it would be interesting to see how long everything tanks before it gets mixed up.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

CrabbySquirrel

Post by CrabbySquirrel » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:19 am

I just mixed mine all together -- a 5:1 mix (5 trowels of sand, then 1 of EE, then mix together, put in the tank, repeat, repeat, repeat).

Topic author
lemonade2

Post by lemonade2 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:36 pm

CrabbySquirrel wrote:I just mixed mine all together -- a 5:1 mix (5 trowels of sand, then 1 of EE, then mix together, put in the tank, repeat, repeat, repeat).

Why the 5:1 ratio?

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:07 pm

It's considered the most natural ratio (for all but Aussie crabs). I personally don't measure but I do stick to more play sand than cocofiber. It just makes for better tunneling. IME, more or straight cocofiber can get nasty quicker and is more prone to flooding. Straight play sand can dry out faster and tunnels don't hold up as well. A mix with mostly play sand seems to work best.

Lilmissbuffit

Post by Lilmissbuffit » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:45 pm

id mix it ,
straight sand is just about inert so waste , food , organic mater will not breakdown properly leving you with bacterial blooms and stinky gas pockets ,