Is hard water causing my crab to look ashy?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

KellyCrabbieLove

Re: Is hard water causing my crab to look ashy?

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:24 am

I found the only dulling from boiling is on one shell that I boiled for a long time after a deathh.
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:15 am

I stopped boiling my shells so often because of it dulling the shells so fast. But then again my well water is 6.0 pH out of the tap. I mostly just rinse in hot water now. They still dull over time but at least it's not as quick.

Scarlz

Post by Scarlz » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:38 pm

We have well tap water. We have a really high ph. So apparently it's something else for me haha. I stopped caring about the appearence of the shells since they seems to scruff them up anyways. I can try all I want with a shell shop to keep them clean but nope, they will dump them out.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:16 pm

Yeah, I gave up on them not staying pretty too. Just this way they're not dulled after just a boil or two.

Lilmissbuffit

Post by Lilmissbuffit » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:36 pm

do you have sand in your sub or just Ee ? I have seen something like this when the tannins from straght ee sub affect the shell, also when the sub has been kept damp using salt water instead of fresh ,

as a side note , what kind of light do you have ? my crabs and the shells have all looked really good since adding a UV light to the tank ,