What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
moonbeam

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by moonbeam » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:20 pm

singlemomwithcrab wrote:So Beast, a medium PP who came to us in a terrible baseball shell and immediately switched to a beautiful golden brown spotted tapestry decided tonight to try to back his fat tooshy into every hide in the crabitat. Now picture hime squeezing in sideways, turning around and around and then deciding he was moving on to the next piece of realistate. Then darn, I can't get out. He was in SpongeBob's Pineapple and tried getting out of the second story window....BWAHAHAHAHAH! Later he went into Squidward's House and it took him 16 tries to get out. No lie, I counted....BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! Tonight was a good crabby night. Even saw 5-6 at the food dishes....

:banana:
We will see if the name Beast sticks. I named him that because of his hideous previous shell (Beast) and the fact that he hangs out with my littlest Belle. And now he is beautiful in the new golden spotted tapestry.
Ok, let me start by saying beauty and the beast is one of my favorite movies so I love the name! And that's hilarious! I love when they try to fit in places they cant. Its like if they just keep moving forward eventually the object will move out of the way right? My big guy Bob used to almost pick up (?) the huts to fit inside them. He's just a tad too large to fit but when he's on a mission there is no stopping him! Now that I have the big tank with lots of hiding places he doesn't really even try to fit in the huts anymore. His current favorite place is to hide ON TOP of one of the huts behind the driftwood. He's a weirdo.
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:29 pm

Ryry wrote:Crab watching has been hard lately. I've been keeping a blanket over most of my tat to help with heat. So every time I go to peek in they all see the blanket move and hide or run for cover... I feel like Godzilla again...

Also I need to do a head count very soon. I was thinking maybe Bruce came up from the bat cave- however it may in fact be my little needle Image I will be so sad if Bruce is still missing! He went down almost immediately after the move into the new tank. I worry because my sister who I told to be gentle and never disturb the sub- was putting a shell in the tank and was really working it into the sub. Being honest I think she was far enough away from where I believed him to be. However. On the off chance he burrowed more and I did not see... Well then she may have collapsed his little cave. Tho it would have been within the first few day that he went down. So he may have been able to reconstruct... I'm trying to be positive but he was a fairly small crab and it has now been almost 2 months..., Image sigh. I wish I just knew what was happening in there!
Dude! I'm telling you they love the feeling of security when we cant see them. When my crew was in the tote I always felt like Godzilla spying on them and some of them would run as soon as I opened the lid. It was like I had the most active little crew until I tried to check out the action. Fickle little crabs.

Hopefully Bruce is just spending extra time down there chilling. If its been 2 months I wouldn't worry just yet. Guppy just came back up after almost a 2 month molt (yay! :banana: ) and he's a small. I'm sorry your stressed about him :( The good thing is, if the whole cave collapse thing did happen it was right after he dug down! I bet he was distressing before trying to molt anyways and just rebuilt his little cave. And for all we know his cave could have been just fine the whole time. Hopefully the little turd will come up soon and quit making you so worried!
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:39 pm

So I'm hearing a bunch of noise coming from the tank. I walk over and see little mama hanging from the corner guards. Caught her giving the "oh crap! You caught me!" look. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:44 pm

moonbeam wrote:
Dude! I'm telling you they love the feeling of security when we cant see them. When my crew was in the tote I always felt like Godzilla spying on them and some of them would run as soon as I opened the lid. It was like I had the most active little crew until I tried to check out the action. Fickle little crabs.

Hopefully Bruce is just spending extra time down there chilling. If its been 2 months I wouldn't worry just yet. Guppy just came back up after almost a 2 month molt (yay! :banana: ) and he's a small. I'm sorry your stressed about him :( The good thing is, if the whole cave collapse thing did happen it was right after he dug down! I bet he was distressing before trying to molt anyways and just rebuilt his little cave. And for all we know his cave could have been just fine the whole time. Hopefully the little turd will come up soon and quit making you so worried!
Sooooo I took all above ground crabs out tonight to do a top clean because of a fruit fly problem. But also because I've been wondering if indeed Bruce is up. Well I only counted 9 and no sign of Bruce. I hope it is a nice long molt and that he will come back big! But I am so worried. Especially because my sister keeps saying stuff like- we should just dig down and see if we can find him... Ughhh I hate having to explain myself over and over that you can't!!

Either way my tank is now clean- re moisturized - and redecorated for my crabbies. I also decided to put in a lot of strange different shells- just in case my crabs are feelin funky and wanna wear something rebellious!!

I have also started to sprinkle grass seed down in patches around the tank. I'm kinda excited to see how the crabs have fun with it! A few little sprouts here and there come up and they eat/ trample it. It's all for them so they can destroy it if they want!

A few photos of the gang while my sister and I put them all back in the tank! Image
Sokka
ImageImage
Castiel
Tweets
ImageImage
Dean
ImageImageImage
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:29 am

moonbeam wrote:So I'm hearing a bunch of noise coming from the tank. I walk over and see little mama hanging from the corner guards. Caught her giving the "oh crap! You caught me!" look. Image

Hahahaha!
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:20 am

Aww hopefully Bruce comes up soon! Inconsiderate little punk! Doesn't he know the stress he's putting you under? As always Ryry, your crabs are B-E-A-Utiful!

Kelly, I laughed so hard at her last night! She was ALL over the place. Climbing on the lid, dangling on the corner guards, eating everything in sight, and checking out/throwing shells everywhere!

I also finally got some pictures of Guppy Image he's the only crab I haven't gendered (so far I have 4 girls, 3 boys so I just say he to even my numbers up) bc he's just so darn shy but man is he handsome when he does make an appearance! ImageImage
Please excuse the dirty glass! Every time I take a picture I'm like "ugh! I need to clean the glass!" And then when I'm doing tank maintenance it's like the thought was never in my brain. Maybe I need to make myself a note. Dang ADD lol.

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:41 am

I realized I needed to get a decent pic of Alduin before he decides to dig down. I made my hubby hold him since he was being pinchy. LOL.

Biggie, meanwhile, has discovered the rope and isn't sure what to do now.

I gave them canned sardine as a treat - it's just in water but also has salt, so I just do it every once in a while. So far no one has touched it. Of course.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

gotta-crab-em-all

Post by gotta-crab-em-all » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:06 am

The 3 crabs that are up have all randomly decided at once that the cuttlebone is the best thing to ever land in their territory :shock: For the past week they've all been munching on it like its going out of style. The weirdos have always had it in there and never cared before, even before a molt. Who knows :P
Shuckle (f), Clauncher (f), Omanyte (f), Weedle (f), Ralts (f) : 55gal Crabitat

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:44 am

I have now spent close to 10 hours on crab food organization. I bought the crab food containers from Britt and spent several hours scraping labels, removing sticky left over junk from old labels. Then today spent several more hours labeling everything and filling it all. My back is killing me and I am almost crippled from sitting on the floor to do it. I go downstairs all excited to feed them even though they are still full on food only to find everyone being lazy bums. Oh well. At least my crab food is organized.

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:19 pm

I've got another turbo rebel :) Image

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:06 pm

I love the rebels so. Fashionista hermit crabs know all the hot shells of the season. They're always a step ahead of the trends. Lol

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:49 pm

Haha yep! Guppy and little mama seem to be my fashionistas! Oh and bash! Can't forget this little cutie! Image

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:14 pm

I'm jealous of you guys with fashionable crabs!! Every single one of my crabs is in a turbo. I've had crabs arrive in murexes but they never stay in them. Oh well...I'll just live vicariously through the people with cooler crabs, haha.

I posted in health/breeding but I'll post briefly here - I found one of my crabs, Magnum, dead behind a vine. :( He was naked and right next to his shell, and was probably there for a few days before I found him since I haven't been searching to do headcounts much. He wasn't missing any limbs and didn't look injured so I have no idea what happened. It was a huge shock since he's molted twice with me and was one of those crazy little active crabs. Rest in peace, little guy.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:19 pm

The three guys who are up, little IDunno and PakyRaku plus Big Enzo, have been digging around in the shell shop yesterday and today. Because of the large size difference between Big Enzo and the two little guys, I've added a few more small turbos, both in the shell shop and here and there on the substrate.

IDunno and PakyRaku have been examining the largest shells, turning them over, carefully looking and feeling inside, then flipping them over the side of the shell shop. Big Enzo, on the other hand, has been testing only the smallest shells intended for the little guys -- he can't even get half a leg into one of them and could probably wear one as a hat but he won't admit that he can't fit in :lol: !

Who says crabs aren't a hoot?
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

MuseCrazy

Post by MuseCrazy » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:40 pm

Right now Bun is taking the hard way out of the moss pit, his Honey is down for a molt right now. I wonder if she'll recognize him when she gets up he's changed shells a lot. ImageImage
Rose the straw managed to knock down the shell shop somehow Image