Little Lonely E :(

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
Knibitz
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Knibitz » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:27 pm

I was a bad crab momma today :(
I found an exotic pet store near me and decided to swing by and see if they had any non-sticky UTHs - they didn't, but they did have hermies, so of course I had to take a look.

pretty standard pet store, sadly - my hopes were high for an "exotics" store. 5 gallon or so tank with no heater or lid (I will say, it was right next to an aquiarium with a huge iguana that had a big heat lamp on their side, so I hope they're getting soem of that heat, at least), right by the entry door - IN MICHIGAN!, bedding looked to be an inch deep mix of EE and sand, but that's all there was going for it. shallow pool of water, food bowl with pellets and vacation feeders, one or two extra shells with probably 15 crabs. Luckily all natural shells and, for the most part, proper styles and sizes (though I...sadly....assume the empty shells were removed dead crabs), and there were also no limbs or parts around the tank - which is always nice.
It was a little disconcerning, however, that they told me I could fish around in the tank and handle the crabs, but the tank was pretty high up and there was no way for kids to reach it.

Now after being told that half of the PP's were "basic brown crabs" and being subject to product pitches for every crap crab food imaginable, I noticed a teeny tiny little zebra nerite sticking out the sand. I flipped it over and sure enough, little almond shaped brown claw and lots of little hairy brown legs :) I fished around in the substrate a little more and though I flipped over a few more nerites, no more little E's to be found :(

I told myself no, that I wasn't going to get him from a store with piss poor conditions, in the middle of winter, and when he had no species buddy to come home to. But him crawling around my hand and looking at me with those big Equadorian eyes of his....sigh.... how could I resist?

so, after having him tossed into a paper sandwich bag and handed to me - sigh... I put the bag inside my coat (to keep him warm) and hurried home!

On the way home, I decided to him Noel :)

PS: good lord, I definitely have an E now. All I hear in my tank is CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK, I keep getting up and running to look and it's just him crawling all through the shells and knocking them against the glass. :P

PSS: If anyone has graduating E shells from dime to quarter or so for sale - please message me :D
7 PPs: Vinny, Thomas, Tink, Theo, Thumbelina, Fudge, and Midge
1 E: Noel

hermitcrabdc

Re: Little Lonely E :(

Post by hermitcrabdc » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:22 pm

He's a cute little one! I love how his eyes are tilted.
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:44 am

So cute! I would have bought him too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drakezilla

Post by Drakezilla » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:53 am

Oh my GOSH, he's ADORABLE! Look at that punky lil face!

God he looks like a micro! How big is he?!

Ps; My PP used to be in my bedroom with me...and he's incredibly nocturnal. But for all the noise his shell makes hitting things...the tank is pristine otherwise!
-:- -:- -:- / / / -:- -:- -:-
Cᴜʀʀᴇɴᴛʟʏ;
{ 01 } PP; Cᴀᴘ ( 10 /13/15 ) **Looking for a new home in Tampa, Florida**

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:17 am

Awww, doesn't he looks beautiful! I am sure it is the mask of the devil though, he probably going to be your little terror. :)
Don't worry, I wouldn't of say no either. However, I love the name, it is very fitting for the time of the year plus gives that feeling of a rescue, like he was lucky to find you.... :)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Knibitz
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Knibitz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:04 pm

he IS a lil micro, though getting close to "small" size :cheer: He's so tiny and cute!
I couldn't find him this morning though :( However - being the size of a small grape, I'm not surprised.

In other news, Thomas changed shells into the shell I got at the store when Noel - so huzzah for that!

and then this morning, I found that Thumbelina had changed into Thomas's shell. It's huge for her, but she's always picked too-big shells.

Annie

Post by Annie » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:35 pm

That little E is so cute. I wouldn't have been able to resist either. :)

MuseCrazy

Post by MuseCrazy » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:26 pm

Aww that E really was adorable. I probably would have bought him too lol

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:43 pm

I love Es
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

MeganM

Post by MeganM » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:28 am

I want an E!! But heard they tend to be aggressive so I haven't gotten one...

New to crabbing as of 1/3/15. 2 PPs Hermie and Hermione!

Kitten

Post by Kitten » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:31 am

He so adorable. One of mine is the same color as him!

Snickers

Post by Snickers » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:23 pm

Awww he is so cute!
Great name. :crabbigsmile:
Crabby mom since '11
Snickers, Cleodora, Areo, Caramilk, Turbo, Turbulence, Eyowen, Smarties, Thor, Loki, Odin, Bilbo, Biggie, Alvin, Tiger, Juliette, Rascal and Bermuda!

hulkums

Post by hulkums » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:18 pm

Oh my gosh I can't stand how adorable he is! Those little eyes!!

My four hermies ~ Hulk, Biscotti, Sampson, and Double D <3

Topic author
Knibitz
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Knibitz » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:52 pm

Sadly, Noel passed :(
He dug down a few days before I left for xmas break and when I returned a week later he was surfaced in the same spot, lil pincher in the sand, and hanging out of his shell :(
Itd been about a.month that ive had him so im not sure if its PPS, my salt water mix not being accurate, or what. I had someone have an eye on my tank whole I was gone but I didnt expect them to watch every last crab. So who knows :(

Positive news, however! A few weeks prior to getting Noel, I got two little pps from petsmart and though I lost one (;-; im not having good luck with pet store crabs... but ive had all my adopted crabs for two years!!!) But the other I found was up today!
I got a new tank and since everyone is down, or so I thought, I was taking out shells to prep and clean them and low and behold! One of my new babalonians was hiding the other little pp! New sharp claws and all!!! He's a BEAUTIFUL bright pp! Cant wait for him to come out of his shell while im around so I can get a good look at him!