My $2 poolside tile walk and bridge

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
hermieluv1

My $2 poolside tile walk and bridge

Post by hermieluv1 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:26 am

I saw a crabitat that had a bridge-like entrance to their pools, and I liked it but didn't want to spend $15 for it, so made my own version for my in-progress 55 gallon! Home Depot, ceramic tile dept. $2 for a 4" x 18" (?) piece. Smashed it up with a hammer, siliconed it together and added some plant life!

Teedeums

Re: My $2 poolside tile walk and bridge

Post by Teedeums » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:01 am

Wow, such a good idea! It's great that you figured out how to save so much money and it still looks so amazing! :)
5 PPs; Ghast, Eager, Boomer, Plato, and Indigo
2 Family Dogs; Lilly and Ginger

Have a very crabby day! =D

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:24 am

GENIUS!!!!! I MUST copy you! Thank you for sharing!

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:56 am

Thrifty grabbers unite!

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:10 pm

hermieluv1 wrote:Thrifty grabbers unite!
INDEED! Image

Crabbers unite!!!

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:25 pm

Yes!!! I'm definitely doing this when I remodel the 55 gal after the first of the year.

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:51 pm

Boy, another great idea for the New Years' tank upgrade :clap: ! I wanted a way to link the FW and SW pools and a nice tile "bridge" would be so snazzy -- the crabs would have room to walk under it as well as over it. Tres cool :) .
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Cydonia1

Post by Cydonia1 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:30 pm

hermieluv1 wrote:I saw a crabitat that had a bridge-like entrance to their pools, and I liked it but didn't want to spend $15 for it, so made my own version for my in-progress 55 gallon! Home Depot, ceramic tile dept. $2 for a 4" x 18" (?) piece. Smashed it up with a hammer, siliconed it together and added some plant life!

:hlol:
That's the EXACT same tile in my bearded dragons tank! Good taste!
I have a leftover piece and a sliver so I may try this, I could take the big square and the sliver, silicone them against the big driftwood so they have a little hut to sit in that's facing the back of the tat.

72mm

Post by 72mm » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:11 am

Very crafty. Key to good solutions often hide in the selection of materials. The ability to see different and creative uses for materials and things they was not originally intended for. Good work.

Topic author
hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:37 am

After having seen it in use last night (a lot!), one thing I would do differently is to silicone a fine layer of sand to the tops for traction. Little crabby claws on tile is a little slippery! They managed all right but I had to put a layer of stones around so they didn't have to struggle to get up on it!

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:18 pm

hermieluv1 wrote:After having seen it in use last night (a lot!), one thing I would do differently is to silicone a fine layer of sand to the tops for traction. Little crabby claws on tile is a little slippery! They managed all right but I had to put a layer of stones around so they didn't have to struggle to get up on it!
Good to know. Thanks for the update.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

72mm

Post by 72mm » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:16 pm

hermieluv1 wrote:They managed all right but I had to put a layer of stones around so they didn't have to struggle to get up on it!
Don't they need the exercise tho? :evil: :)

Topic author
hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:40 am

Lol! I thought about the exercise cause it reminded me of a treadmill! Or stepper! But then I just felt bad when one little guy kept falling backwards!