What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Drakezilla

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by Drakezilla » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:13 am

You have such a nice little crab palette Ryry!
-:- -:- -:- / / / -:- -:- -:-
Cᴜʀʀᴇɴᴛʟʏ;
{ 01 } PP; Cᴀᴘ ( 10 /13/15 ) **Looking for a new home in Tampa, Florida**

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:02 pm

thanks guys, I feel very lucky to have them all!
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

Cydonia1

Post by Cydonia1 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:37 pm

I picked up my big E to move him to the food dish, saw some sort of yellow "bunch" after the first leg that's in his shell, and while trying to get him to stretch out so I could see it better he started bubbling at his "mouth" and rubbing the water/saliva all around with his mouthparts :shock:
ANY idea what this was? They were full bubbles he was "blowing", they were forming and popping. I set him right back down after seeing that, but was it some sort of defense mechanism, was he eating when I picked him up? Was it the stuff they use to keep their tunnels up? Has he become sentience enough to realize that >do something weird and freaky around mother-ship=immediate cease of attention.
On a not so terrifying note, I got to see his Gill covers! I could see the little lines and indents, they looked really cool, and they were a pretty shade of purple.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:35 pm

Are you sure he isn't a she? Do you have more than 1 E? (I am guessing yes since you called him you BIG E) my immediate thoughts were eggs. The mouth thing...I have no clue whatsoever. Maybe Wodesorel or CallaLily will know. I wish I had an answer for you but instead I will be eagerly awaiting what they say. Lol
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Drakezilla

Post by Drakezilla » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:54 am

Oh wow! I thought they seemed to only lay eggs in the warmer months?
Cᴜʀʀᴇɴᴛʟʏ;

Cydonia1

Post by Cydonia1 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:37 pm

KellyCrabbieLove wrote:Are you sure he isn't a she? Do you have more than 1 E? (I am guessing yes since you called him you BIG E) my immediate thoughts were eggs. The mouth thing...I have no clue whatsoever. Maybe Wodesorel or CallaLily will know. I wish I had an answer for you but instead I will be eagerly awaiting what they say. Lol
Hes the only one that I'm almost 100% sure on the gender, I've seen him hug the glass and he's gonophore-less. And yes, there is one other E in the tat, no idea what it is though, I've been more focused on getting it out of the purple shell with little reflective mirror pieces all over it.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:38 pm

Hmm

LightFlower

Post by LightFlower » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:08 am

Murder. I suspect Emerald because he's in a different hide than the other three.
4 Purple Pinchers: Spiral, Violet, Cinnamon and Swirl

aldebaron0626

Post by aldebaron0626 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:23 pm

My larger E Bullyseye who had been hanging out for the last 3 day at the bottom of the tank beneath the SW pool closed his window. Buzz (the smaller E) was tunneling along the front about 1/2 way down. I'm hoping he doesn't discover his buddy especially if his buddy is molting (again)... No more crabby deaths please. Buzz is definitely a male though he's the smallest crab I own. My PP Woody is still subterranean in the ISO. I need to work out a second tat and buddies asap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby Mommy since 8/13/14
2Es Buzz and Bullseye and 3PPs Woody (adp 12/10/14), Jessie (adp 1/20/15) and Mick (1/26/15)
Coming in March: Rex (PP) and Bo Peep (E)

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:44 pm

My crabs have been enjoying all the yummy foods we have been having for Christmas. I'm trying to up the protein because they are tearing up my tank... I think it's time to reorganize it and freshen up their surroundings. They seem to explore more and destroy less if I redecorate every now and then.
All kinds of crabby!

Drakezilla

Post by Drakezilla » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:16 pm

My crabs have been enjoying my Christmas splurges on them! After adopting my newbies a few weeks ago they were the beneficiaries of a large THCP order. They all have shiny new turbos they're shopping and sporting in between nomming away on the food I got them to try -- a pack of scrambled shrimp, sub mix and hermit crab kibble -- YUM! Tonks and Luna are total pigs! They're a third the size of my jumbo and they clean the dish every night!!

My jumbo though is the biggest pig by far ever since I started adding leaves to his dinners! I've never seen a crab run to the dish like that! You'd think I never fed this guy!

He can't grow anymore, right?! Image
Cᴜʀʀᴇɴᴛʟʏ;

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:36 am

Gave the crabs bits of broccoli and cauliflower last night. Usually that's something I'll do with fresh foods just before going to bed but decided to give the guys the veggies while I was making dinner around 7:30. Only 2 crabs are up now, fresh from molts, Felix and one of the new little orange guys (both little guys are in small green turbos so it's hard to tell who's who :lol: ). Felix was sleeping up in the moss pit but the new guy headed right over to the serving shell and began flinging the broccoli bits out to get down to the cauliflower. It was so cute as he kept coming back to the dish for several hours, picking away at the cauliflower and, eventually, some of the previously-tossed broccoli. It's hard to catch them doing anything other than a steady nomming while sitting in the food bowl so getting to see a crab making culinary choices was a delight! I'll have to start putting in the fresh food earlier in the evening, especially when that little guy is up.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:43 pm

My poor crabs have been a little neglected the past couple days. I had a cold mixed with a stomach bug so I've been dying on the couch. :lol: Fortunately my hubby stepped up and took over, and I'm so glad I have so many dried foods.

Last night he dumped some food in their bowl and then was picking up random crabs and asking who they were. I keep trying to explain I can only consistently ID a few and he doesn't seem to understand that no matter how much I love and obsess over them, I can't keep them straight. :roll:

Anyway, I'm feeling perkier today so I'm going to pull everything out of the tank, smooth the sand, and put in fresh moss. What an exciting life I lead. Lol.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:12 pm

megmaholm wrote: Anyway, I'm feeling perkier today so I'm going to pull everything out of the tank, smooth the sand, and put in fresh moss. What an exciting life I lead. Lol.
We all lead that charmed crabbing life! Lol! I just placed an Amazon order with new moss and salt and what not and then decided to splurge and order some magnaturals! Super excited! I know my crabs will be too!

Also here is a pic of my super cute ornament my friend got me for crabmas!
All kinds of crabby!

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:23 pm

Athena says HiImage