What size Ultratherm?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Kitten

What size Ultratherm?

Post by Kitten » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:45 am

SO, I did a foolish thing while on Christmas vacation in Myrtle beach and impulse bought two hermit crabs. Now I'm back in Colorado and have set up a 10 gallon tank as what I am referring to as a emergency crabitat and am planning a larger more "permanent" tat. (By permanent I've agreed not to follow my impulse and buy the largest aquarium I can find and go to town until I "give this a try" to see if I "like it" --- My exasperated boyfriend's suggestion in an attempt to temper me and my spending lol.)

I am considering purchasing either a small tall Exo-Terra terrarium , which would be 18" X 18" X 24"; or a medium tall which would be 24" X 18" X 24" and was wondering what size Ultratherm y'all would recommend for each size?

Also, my very patient boyfriend would like to add fish to this thing. He was thinking we could make one of those larger water pools that the crabbies can submerge in and put some small fish in there. I don't know what to think about this idea other than it's going to add A LOT of work. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

hermieluv1

Re: What size Ultratherm?

Post by hermieluv1 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:58 pm

I personally went with one about 3/4 the length of my 55 gallon , so I bought an 11" x 35", and it keeps it at a perfect 77-80 degrees.

Get the biggest tank you can afford now, cause chances are, you will be hooked! And there are a couple of people here who have fish in their pools.

Topic author
Kitten

Post by Kitten » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:59 pm

Do you leave the heater on all the time or do you have it on a dimmer/timer?

hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:10 pm

I leave mine on all the time, but some use a dimmer.

Topic author
Kitten

Post by Kitten » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:11 pm

Cool, thank you!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:29 pm

At those size tanks, I wouldn't be looking for pools at all, more like deep containers - eg, the food safe ones. At most your looking at 1g each, remember floor/moulting space is important for the crabs.
And at 1g, most fish wouldn't be able to live a happy life in their IMO. Even a betta who can be kept in small containers, will not be able to live for long - remember that there will be crabs hunting him...
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Kitten

Post by Kitten » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:02 pm

Yeah, I think it would be much more doable in a larger tank

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:30 pm

Yea, get a bigger tank get the biggest possible from a $1/gal sale. Build a false bottom, do cycled pools, have a guppie or two, everybody do the happy dance

Crabbers unite!!!

Breeezy

Post by Breeezy » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:06 pm

Don't be sad when your hermies eat your fishies! :P :fish:
I'd price everything you're wanting to get for your tank first, so you can decide how big to go. I have a new 90 gallon tank, and am still struggling to pull the $$$ together to get it all ready for my upgrade!
4 Purple Pinchers (Hodor, Spree, Rosie, Leonardo, and Lucy), 1 Strawberry (Denver), 4 Ecuadorians (Dexter, Leeloo, Ghost, and Dr. Zoidberg)
1 Pembroke Welsh Corgi (Thorin)

Topic author
Kitten

Post by Kitten » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:39 pm

Well, I bought the small exo Terra for now per the agreement with BF. But I don't think I'm going to try to so fishies in it. I don't think there's room and I think the crabbies would just eat them anyway.

So I've had Carolina & Mr. Crabs in the emergency tat for a couple of days. When I first out them in there they ran all over the place and were littlerally climbing the walls. Then they dig holes and have been in a hole ever since. I thought they were going to try and molt or something but they're sharing a hole and they haven't covered it back over...
Do you all think they're just recovering from all the change and adjusting to having a proper tat? I did drive them all the way from South Carolina to Colorado ....

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:23 pm

Post purchase stress, or PPS is very common when you first get new crabs from a store. The few I have got from stores do the exact same thing. They ran around the tank ate a lot and then hid in a corner. Some of them dug down deep and some you could still see the tops of their shells. They just need some time to adjust to their new home
The best thing you can do is give them stable temp/ humidity, hiding places, and food/ water/ saltwater. Food always helps in my tank haha. Slowly they will feel more comfortable to explore. Back when I only had 4 crabs it was pretty quiet. When I added in a few more they started becoming more active and tearing up the tank together
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

Topic author
Kitten

Post by Kitten » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:36 pm

I was thinking that's what it is based on what I've read here. I guess I'm just a nervous new crab mama, lol. Thanks!

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:58 pm

Kitten wrote:I was thinking that's what it is based on what I've read here. I guess I'm just a nervous new crab mama, lol. Thanks!
I'm the same way. And it's good. It means you care about them! I try to lure mine out with fresh foods like fruit or meat. Maybe some stinky fish will get them moving! Don't forget they are nocturnal too. So they may be running around while your asleep!
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

Topic author
Kitten

Post by Kitten » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:26 pm

I put some peanut butter and some coconut in there hopefully that helps.

Has anyone tried the tropic aire humidifier from hermit crab patch or Zoo Med HygroTherm Humidity and Temperature Controller

- http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0019IHK9 ... CI7EJZHXQP

I work long hours and would like go get the heat and humidity as automated as possible.