SETTING UP NEW CRABITAT!! HAVE TO HURRY!!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
hulkums

SETTING UP NEW CRABITAT!! HAVE TO HURRY!!

Post by hulkums » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:21 pm

I'm setting up a new crabitat quickly before I have to go, and it's too cold here to leave my crabbies in there travel case for too long. My only question is about placing a heater- I'm gonna place it on the side, but is this an appropriate place to place it? I need to know ASAP! ImageImage btw I do have enough substrate! It's 5-6 inches, I don't have really big crabs at the moment anyway. It's just the angle the photo is taken at :)

My four hermies ~ Hulk, Biscotti, Sampson, and Double D <3

aldebaron0626

Re: SETTING UP NEW CRABITAT!! HAVE TO HURRY!!

Post by aldebaron0626 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:41 pm

One the side above substrate are the directions for heating crabitats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby Mommy since 8/13/14
2Es Buzz and Bullseye and 3PPs Woody (adp 12/10/14), Jessie (adp 1/20/15) and Mick (1/26/15)
Coming in March: Rex (PP) and Bo Peep (E)

Topic author
hulkums

Post by hulkums » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:45 pm

aldebaron0626 wrote:One the side above substrate are the directions for heating crabitats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I already have a smaller under tank heater to the left side, and the plug is on the left D: but I'm thinking that's an appropriate place still?

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:54 pm

Outside back or side of the crabitat is good. :)

Topic author
hulkums

Post by hulkums » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:55 pm

CallaLily wrote:Outside back or side of the crabitat is good. :)
thanks so much! :)

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:03 am

Do you have any other sources of heat? That little pad is probably not going to help much. :(
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
hulkums

Post by hulkums » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:31 am

wodesorel wrote:Do you have any other sources of heat? That little pad is probably not going to help much. :(
oh yeah! Ha ha I have a second heat pad under the tank! Should I look into getting a bulb though? D:

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:23 pm

hulkums wrote: oh yeah! Ha ha I have a second heat pad under the tank! Should I look into getting a bulb though? D:

It's not a good idea to have your heat pad under the tank with the amount of substrate you have. :) I would move it above the substrate line, see how your temps are, and still consider a bulb since if it's the same size as the one in the pic it probably won't do much. It's always good to have a bulb as a backup, at least in my experience.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Topic author
hulkums

Post by hulkums » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:02 am

megmaholm wrote: It's not a good idea to have your heat pad under the tank with the amount of substrate you have. :) I would move it above the substrate line, see how your temps are, and still consider a bulb since if it's the same size as the one in the pic it probably won't do much. It's always good to have a bulb as a backup, at least in my experience.
ohh okay! Thanks for the advice, I didn't know that! Before I upgraded the one pad had been good, but yeah my temperature has definitely been fluctuating! I'm gonna get a bulb, and get rid of the bottom heating pad. I hate to ask but I don't know much about bulbs, can you tell me what I need to get, and what bulb is best? Thanks! :D

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:12 am

If you just put both heating pads on the side your temps should stabilize some. If it's a couple degrees low you can try insulating the tank before investing in a new heating product.
If you can and must invest in a new product i recommend an Ultratherm UTH. They are a great, high quality brand product and will not compromise your tank's humidity level when heating. It is also less of a fire hazard than using bulbs. I believe that all Ultratherm crabbers are 100% satisfied with these products!

Crabbers unite!!!

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:32 pm

Ideally you won't need a bulb at all, but when I needed one, I went with a moonglow one like http://www.petco.com/product/111470/Zil ... Redirect=1 They do sell lower wattage ones than 75. If you get a light fixture that has a dimmer, like http://www.petsmart.com/supplies/bulbs- ... m%3Dsearch you can use a higher wattage bulb and adjust as needed. That type of bulb is fine to leave on 24/7 :) Any heat bulb will, however, drop your humidity.

Like YYWW said, though, UTHs are really the way to go when possible! Ultratherm is a fabulous brand that costs less than the UTHs sold in stores. I use an Ultratherm to heat my 55 gallon, and after insulation it keeps it about 82 when my house temp is 65-68. You would want one that covers as much of the back as your tank as possible (above the substrate line).
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Breeezy

Post by Breeezy » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:27 pm

Yeah you're going to need something a little more heavy-duty to heat your tank, but like others have said, definitely get that one off the bottom and put it on the side. Be careful not to damage the heat pad removing it, if it is the sticky kind. You can tear the wires inside the pad and create a potential fire hazard.

I'm personally not happy with Ultratherms based on the way they are advertised/sold and the way BeanFarm.com treated me when I contacted them about it. I don't rely on them to heat my tank anymore, although they are still there. I use heat lamps for now and am dropping some big $$$ when I get my radiant heat panel. I know not everyone is concerned about appearance, but for the amount of money I spent to slather these all over my tank only to have to cover it in ugly foam, I would have saved and bought the heat panel to begin with. They don't work with thermostats like they say they do either. Just my two cents.

TLDR: Above advice is great! Be careful removing bottom heat pad. My rant about Ultratherms.
4 Purple Pinchers (Hodor, Spree, Rosie, Leonardo, and Lucy), 1 Strawberry (Denver), 4 Ecuadorians (Dexter, Leeloo, Ghost, and Dr. Zoidberg)
1 Pembroke Welsh Corgi (Thorin)

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:53 pm

I stand corrected. There ARE crabbers who don't like Ultratherms! Just to put it out there, ReptileBasics also sells them
People also use ceramic heat emitters, which i think are nifty. I'm not too well versed in those, though..

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
hulkums

Post by hulkums » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:31 pm

Okay, I'm going to remove the one under my tank! Now I do have the sticky kind so I'm a bit nervous to remove it, because I don't want a fire to start D: Okay, so basically I'm going to keep the one heating pad on the back of my tank, it's above my substrate line. Now I'm sorry everyone but I'm just a bit confused? I mean for my 10g, 5-6 inches of sand-coconut fiber mix substrate, is getting a second heating pad ideal? If I get one I will place it on the side, above substrate line. I have a glass lid so I don't know if a bulb would work? Also, I'm having a hard time with humidity now! Before, with an all coconut fiber substrate, there was plenty of humidity. But now I only have about 70% humidity and have been having to spray the tank with salt water! No don't know how to bring up the humidity oh no!

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:19 pm

hulkums wrote:Okay, I'm going to remove the one under my tank! Now I do have the sticky kind so I'm a bit nervous to remove it, because I don't want a fire to start D: Okay, so basically I'm going to keep the one heating pad on the back of my tank, it's above my substrate line. Now I'm sorry everyone but I'm just a bit confused? I mean for my 10g, 5-6 inches of sand-coconut fiber mix substrate, is getting a second heating pad ideal? If I get one I will place it on the side, above substrate line. I have a glass lid so I don't know if a bulb would work? Also, I'm having a hard time with humidity now! Before, with an all coconut fiber substrate, there was plenty of humidity. But now I only have about 70% humidity and have been having to spray the tank with salt water! No don't know how to bring up the humidity oh no!

First thing- you should probably be spraying fresh water and not salt. The salt build up can become harmful after a while. Also to keep up humidity I have a coco fiber side of the tank (it's more like 50/50) and I have a sandier side 4:1 ratio. The extra ee helps hold humidity. The big helper is deff my moss pits tho. And the crabs love them.
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend