Humidity gradient to extreme?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Kcoffey89

Humidity gradient to extreme?

Post by Kcoffey89 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:07 am

Hello,

I recently upgraded from a 20 gallon long to a 55 gallon! Well Ive noticed in my 55 gallon at the surface of the substrate the humidity hangs at a steady 80% or higher. If I move my hygrometer maybe six inches off ground on platform it can drop to about 60%. I'm just not sure why it would be that great a drop. I used two different hygrometers and both have functioned great in the past.

I have two pretty decent size pools both equipped with bubblers, a lid covered almost entirely with foil, and a big moss pit. I know it can vary in different areas especially in big tanks but isn't this too extreme? Please help! Thanks

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Humidity gradient to extreme?

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:48 am

What do you use for heating, a heat bulb? If so, it probably drying out the tank leading to drastic humidity range in your tank. Otherwise, have you calibrated the gauge? After a while, it is common for a gauge to "loose" it effectiveness while reading.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Kcoffey89

Post by Kcoffey89 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:32 am

aussieJJDude wrote:What do you use for heating, a heat bulb? If so, it probably drying out the tank leading to drastic humidity range in your tank. Otherwise, have you calibrated the gauge? After a while, it is common for a gauge to "loose" it effectiveness while reading.
No heat bulb just two UTH. I'm going to calibrate now to make sure thanks

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:03 am

Oh, something that "sticks out" and worth investigating! When you mean:
...a lid covered almost entirely with foil...
Do you mean that the lid is foil and doesn't cover the entire top? If so, probably all the humidity is escaping through there -the gap.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

Topic author
Kcoffey89

Post by Kcoffey89 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:27 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:Oh, something that "sticks out" and worth investigating! When you mean: Do you mean that the lid is foil and doesn't cover the entire top? If so, probably all the humidity is escaping through there -the gap.
I calibrated it and it seems to be working fine. The top to my tank is one of those lids you can get at pet smart (no hinge in middle) and probably over 90% is covered with foil I taped over it. I just don't understand what it could be

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:48 pm

Is it possible for you to post pics of the the tanks and lid? I very confused, the only other thing i can think of is if you live in a dry climate and is sponging all the moisture out..
:?:

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:21 am

Hmmm. Can you add a moss pit up where the humidity drops? Or maybe try covering a little bit more of your lid? I think as long as they have large areas within safe ranges they'll be fine. I know in my tank, the humidity drops near the heat bulb during the day, but further away from it the humidity is fine.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:59 pm

That about matches my tank. Up top it's around 60% and then at the soil it's closer to 100% from the fogger. Humidity wants to settle, so it will always be more humid at the bottom.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Kcoffey89

Post by Kcoffey89 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:25 pm

Thanks for the help guys! I think I'll try to add so moss in those areas.