Alaska HermitCrab + Naples Shells

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Topic author
Crabinski

Alaska HermitCrab + Naples Shells

Post by Crabinski » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:17 pm

Just placed my first orders with these two companies and can't wait for my goodies to arrive! Ordered 7 food items from Alaska HC, including bee pollen, and 11 shells from Naples -- Big Enzo and Harry really grew this molt so babies need new clothes :lol: ! Also ordered a few smaller shells for Marble and Charles Paris, too. Felix is now officially medium sized so there are already a lot of options for him in the shell shop.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

CallaLily

Re: Alaska HermitCrab + Naples Shells

Post by CallaLily » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:19 pm

So exciting! I love getting packages and Alaska Hermit is awesome! :D

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:38 pm

I always look forward to Alaska Hermit goodies!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Kitten

Post by Kitten » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:09 pm

I am finally getting my orders in the mail from all the various places I've ordered from. Its like a special crabby Christmas around here, lol.

MeganM

Post by MeganM » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:23 pm

I just ordered from Naples for the first time today too!!

New to crabbing as of 1/3/15. 2 PPs Hermie and Hermione!

Topic author
Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:29 pm

My Naples order arrived on Monday, shells have all cleaned and a few have been added to the shell shop. Lots of examining but no swaps yet.

These are the ones received.

Lovely lightweight polished silver turbos

Gorgeous (but heavy) pearl banded tapestry and turban
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:36 pm

Such pretty shells!! I love the pearlized ones, but only one of my crabs will wear them. They obviously don't share my excellent taste in fashion.

Did you get your Alaska Hermit goodies yet? I want to order from there so badly, but I need more crab food like I need a hole in my head. :lol:
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Topic author
Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:43 pm

megmaholm wrote:Such pretty shells!! I love the pearlized ones, but only one of my crabs will wear them. They obviously don't share my excellent taste in fashion.

Did you get your Alaska Hermit goodies yet? I want to order from there so badly, but I need more crab food like I need a hole in my head. :lol:
The package was picked up in Fairbanks today so I'm guessing around the middle of next week. Ordered several different types of flowers and leafs, beach grass and bee pollen. It'll be a nice change from their usual fare of bugs, fish, nuts, grains, egg whites and fresh veggies.

Topic author
Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:06 pm

Alaska HC food assortment has arrived! Ordered crabapple leaves, birch leaves, beach grass, lilac flowers, white clover flowers, sunflower petals and bee pollen.

Can't wait to offer some of these goodies to the guys tonight! The bee pollen is chunkier than I'd figured so I'll just crush it down a bit for easier access.

Shadoe also sent along the sweetest tiny orange rubber crabbie with black toetips -- what a wonderful surprise to find in the order :) !

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:22 pm

Nice! Mine love bee pollen! I just sprinkle a little over their food now and then. Wolf's birch leaves and bark were a big hit too. Actually, everything I ordered seemed well liked by the crabs. It's been a while since I've ordered from any crab place. Hopefully I'll be able to place another order soon.

crabswell

Post by crabswell » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:19 pm

Crabinski wrote:Can't wait to offer some of these goodies to the guys tonight!
Hey Crabinski! Was thinking of putting in an order through Alaska Hermit soon - what were the results with your batch? Any favourites?

I have been obsessed with my food supply from Hermit Crab Patch, but I wanted to sub in some flowers, pollens, and leaves to the collection, which are really reasonably priced at Alaska Hermit.

Topic author
Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:54 pm

crabswell wrote: Hey Crabinski! Was thinking of putting in an order through Alaska Hermit soon - what were the results with your batch? Any favourites?

I have been obsessed with my food supply from Hermit Crab Patch, but I wanted to sub in some flowers, pollens, and leaves to the collection, which are really reasonably priced at Alaska Hermit.
My guys are such pills! Frankly, there isn't much they're willing to eat from any source: won't eat raw or cooked shrimp, only freeze-dried; don't like cuttlebone, only eggshells; green kale but not purple kale, etc, etc, etc. At least they'll always eat their homemade dry mix so I know they're getting protein, calcium and grains. Felix is always eating, Marble fairly frequently, Big Enzo at least once a day. Charles Paris is currently invisible but he's been a good eater. Harry, on the other hand, is still above ground but I haven't seen him near any food since he emerged from his 60+ day molt in early January; he must eat in the middle of the night, in the dark, with nobody watching -- the old dieter's trick: you don't gain weight if you eat in the dark with no one around :hlol: .

From the AHC order, they've liked the beach grass, bee pollen and sunflower petals...at least I can't find evidence of those items the next morning so they're either eating them or burying them :lol: . The other flower varieties haven't seemed to excite them yet. I haven't offered either leaf variety as the tank is still very, very humid and I don't want to lose the leaves to "instant" mildew. I'm changing out the pools this weekend so that might drop the humidity enough to add a small leaf pit. I want to order some birch bark pieces for decor/munching but am holding off until some of the other foods I wanted to try are back in stock on her website.

Just curious: which HCP foods do your fellows like? I haven't ordered from HCP yet, given my crabs' lack of interest in most "new" foods.

crabswell

Post by crabswell » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:17 pm

Of course you have a bunch of divacrabs. Mine have been great eaters, EXCEPT, last night I finally gave them cooked shrimp and they didn't even touch it. Crabswell stayed buried all night, and he's the big eater, so I'm just going to tell myself that Dr. Crabson got in there but didn't make much of a mark.

The HCP order has actually been very popular. Favourites have been the Surf-N-Turf, the Earthworm Castings, and the Sweet Claw Popcorn. They also graze a good deal on the Oyster Shell Supplement. Crabswell has really taken to the Bah Hum Bugs, not sure if Dr. Crabson likes it much. I was really impressed with the order: reasonable price, good portions, great quality (strong smells!), and quick delivery.

CrabbySquirrel

Post by CrabbySquirrel » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:37 pm

crabswell, sounds like our crabs like similar things from HCP! Mine love the surf-n-turf, earthworm castings, and they absolutely go NUTS over the Sweet Claws treat! They also like the oyster shell supplement, as well as the other powdered mineral blends like Honey Calcium, and Hibiscus Calcium.....I absolutely LOVE shopping with them: good prices, great customer service, excellent selection and great buy for the money -- I've also got one of their barnacles in my tank, a mushroom coral piece, and other goodies!!

crabswell

Post by crabswell » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:46 pm

Our crabs should totally have a dinner party together, CrabbySquirrel! :hlol:

I totally forgot to mention the powdered mineral supplement! It went untouched FOREVER, but then suddenly the little bottle cap it was in went missing. Turns out Dr. Crabson stole it for himself. It's been in his favourite hidey place with him for almost a week; he's now obsessed. I'll leave him to it - must signal a nutritional need at this time. I get so excited when they like the treats I get for them.