What should I be feeding my hermit crabs?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
magmaroofing

What should I be feeding my hermit crabs?

Post by magmaroofing » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:36 pm

I just adopted 4 PP's about 5 days ago and three are down and one is exploring his new home. I read on multiple hermit crab sites that commercial food is no good for them which is totally understandable. I did buy commercial food for the time being though. In the food dish I have the pellet food along with: (all organic) peanut butter, apple, and banana.

My question is that is there any base food that I should be giving them besides fruits, vegetables, and proteins? Along with any essential nutrients? I have already ordered a cuttlebone treat, but I just want to make sure they are getting all that they need.

Another question that I have, which I feel dumb for asking, is can they tip themselves back over? The one crab that is exploring currently likes to take over the spots that the others are down in. He doesn't hurt them, just pushes them and then nestles in the previously burrowed in substrate.

Otherwise their humidity and temperature are stabilized wonderfully and they have plenty of hiding spaces and climbing areas.

I appreciate any information that you can give me :D

hermitcrab101

Re: What should I be feeding my hermit crabs?

Post by hermitcrab101 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:46 pm

Looks like you've gotten the basic diet down. Fruits, vegatables, ptotien and calcium are the most important parts of your crabs diet. If you really want to go into depth then check out this: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92554

By the way they can tip themselfs right side up, no problems. So no worries when you see them crawling around.

lessthansign3

Post by lessthansign3 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:56 pm

What I find to be most important to hermit crabs is a wide variety of foods. They are scavengers intghe wild and will eat just about anything - from carrion to feces. I feed some dried goods, some fresh fruit and veggies, and most importantly, I feed them something different every day, so they never get bored.

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:51 pm

One thing they all love is a fresh eggshell with albumin :tongue8: . Next time you crack open an egg to scramble, poach or fry, you'll notice that there will be a bit of liquid "goo" left in one of the shell halves. Just place that shell half in the crabitat and watch them go to work on it. Not only do they enjoy the albumin but they'll also pinch off bits of the eggshell as well so you're providing protein and calcium in one neat package :thumbleft: . Easy to clean up, too -- just thrown away the shell half!
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster