"All Living Things" Water?

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
Lburns

"All Living Things" Water?

Post by Lburns » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:53 pm

I've been using "All Living Things" brand hermit crab water solution(s). I keep a bowl of fresh and a bowl of saltwater in my tank at all times. I know this stuff is much more expensive than mixing my own water(s). But, other than that, is there a downside to using it? Is it better for the crabs to mix my own using the recipes I seen on this forum?
4 PPs. Crabbing since Sept. 2014. Batman - Found as a stray (holy crab!) (2 molts). Killer Croc (1 molt). Man-Bat (1 molt). Lex Luthor (1 molt).
RIP Robin (did not survive 1st molt).

CallaLily

Re: "All Living Things" Water?

Post by CallaLily » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:17 pm

There are over 70 elements in sea water, and it’s important for the health of your hermit crab that they have access to the right kind salt water that contains all of them. Hermit crabs need this kind of ocean water in order to regulate their bodies and to make molting easier, and all hermit crabs carry around a mixture of brackish water in their shells at all times. Brackish water is the term used to describe salty water that is between ocean water levels of salt, and pure freshwater.

Salt sold specifically for hermit crabs do not contain all these elements, and some even have artificial colors and unneeded chemicals added to them that can be harmful. They are also mixed at too weak of a concentration to be helpful, and are normally drastically overpriced.
More here: viewtopic.php?p=852656

soilentgringa

Re: "All Living Things" Water?

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:05 pm

I wanted to like the All Living Things brand but they sell bagged cedar shreds/bark for hermit crab bedding when cedar wood isn't safe for them. I wish people would research things like that before marketing.