Question about silicone???

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
Got crabs?

Question about silicone???

Post by Got crabs? » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:15 pm

Hey fellow crabbers, I need some help. Last Sunday I made a patio/ ramp for my saltwater pool. I used dap aquarium safe silicone from Home Depot to secure the rocks to the plastic lid. I waited 48 hours for it to cure, even though it said it only needed 24. It seemed dry, but it had a strong vinegar type odor to it. So I waited a couple more days. It still smelled. Then last nite I soaked it in some water, the smell has lessened but it's not completely gone. It's been a week tomorrow and I've been really anxious to put it in my crabitat so my crabbier can try it out. My question is ...is the smell normal ? Will it ever go away completely? Is it safe to put in the tank? I don't want to take any chances. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated? Thanks

hermieluv1

Re: Question about silicone???

Post by hermieluv1 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:17 am

Any time I have used silicone, I had to set the item outside for a week to get the smell out.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:28 am

I think if it was coated on pretty thick it would take much longer to fully cure. I've seen a few posts like this where it seemed to take a while.

Topic author
Got crabs?

Post by Got crabs? » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:24 am

Thank you for replying. I'll try to be more patient and see if it stops smelling.