Tank lid

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
MeganM

Tank lid

Post by MeganM » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:53 am

So last night I started to put together my first proper crabitat! Got a 29g at the Petco sale! I bought the mesh top and did a little diy to insulate the lid and still make it look pretty. (The tank will be in the living room so hubby is big on looks of it)

1. Cut out a price of cardboard the size of the top of the lid. (I wanted the mesh to be inside so the crabbies could climb on it)
2. Cover the side of cardboard that will be facing inside the tank in aluminium foil using double sided tape.
3. Edge the meshetal top with double sided tape and fasten the cardboard/foil to the mesh top.
4. (For this step I bought some decorative contact paper at Walmart $4) cover the top in the contact paper.

Super easy and cheap. Adds insulation and keeps humidity in!(:

Please don't mind the decor on the inside of the tank. It will improve over time! Can't spend my whole paycheck on the crabitat... Image

New to crabbing as of 1/3/15. 2 PPs Hermie and Hermione!

YYWW

Re: Tank lid

Post by YYWW » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:30 am

How cute!

Crabbers unite!!!

Kitten

Post by Kitten » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:43 am

Thats really cute and Contact paper is a great idea! I've been dreading putting insulation around my tank bc its so ugly.
How are you getting ventilation?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:03 pm

Kitten raised an important question - which I was going to ask. How are the crabs getting some fresh air into there? :) Look really cool, but I am a bit worried for your crabs.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
MeganM

Post by MeganM » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:19 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:Kitten raised an important question - which I was going to ask. How are the crabs getting some fresh air into there? :) Look really cool, but I am a bit worried for your crabs.
I was told that raising it to change food and mist would be enough in another thread.

New to crabbing as of 1/3/15. 5 PPs Hermie, Hermione, Poseidon, Odin, and Zenon

YYWW

Tank lid

Post by YYWW » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:28 pm

MeganM wrote: I was told that raising it to change food and mist would be enough in another thread.

Ya knowwww a bubbler would ensure this. It pumps air into the tank to make the bubbles Image

Crabbers unite!!!

ETA: OMG IS THAT A SEESAW??? So CUTE! Image

alije

Post by alije » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:56 am

Hay, lid looks cute... you can always add a few holes for ventilation. Crabs are quite strong, so they can lift the lid and escape. Put something heavy on, a plant pot or a stone so it can not be raised

Topic author
MeganM

Post by MeganM » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:11 am

I'll have to add a couple of wholes. As for the bubbler I have stuff to make a small pool but 4 out of 5 are underground right now so I can't dig. Might have to get a bubbler! I finished my tank last night. Here are some pics :)
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:57 am

So cute! Like a lil garden ️ i recommend aboveground pools, so as not to compromise digging space. The crabs smell the water and get in easily. You can also use it for second level purposes. Just use 2 stackable tupperware containers with rocks or marbles in between. The one on bottom keeps your place as you lift the top off for water changes! Your crabs will love ze bubblez!

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
MeganM

Post by MeganM » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:01 am

Looks like I will have to find a these stackable containers...any suggestions? And yes! Garden was what I was going for. They love climbing in the flowers. Most of the stuff is from the dollar store (:

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:26 pm

MeganM wrote:Looks like I will have to find a these stackable containers...any suggestions? And yes! Garden was what I was going for. They love climbing in the flowers. Most of the stuff is from the dollar store (:

Love the set-up, especially the moss pit and raised shell shop -- very clever design! Looks like the crabs are enjoying the "garden", too :) .

Re stackable containers: I bought 2 3-packs of medium-sized rectangular clear plastic containers, 5.25Lx3.25Wx2.5D, at Dollar Tree. Four will be used for the two pools (layers of Dollar Tree river rocks between the nesting containers) and I now have two extra containers, with snazzy green lids, for storing crabbie goodies! Initially, I installed a divided plastic container as FW and SW pools, also doubled with pebbles between; however, it proved awkward to remove from the tank without having to also remove a lot of the decor on that side of the 29g. Individual pools will be easier to access and clean, i.e., sand dumped into only the SW pool then remove only that pool.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
MeganM

Post by MeganM » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:29 pm

Crabinski wrote: Love the set-up, especially the moss pit and raised shell shop -- very clever design! Looks like the crabs are enjoying the "garden", too :) .

Re stackable containers: I bought 2 3-packs of medium-sized rectangular clear plastic containers, 5.25Lx3.25Wx2.5D, at Dollar Tree. Four will be used for the two pools (layers of Dollar Tree river rocks between the nesting containers) and I now have two extra containers, with snazzy green lids, for storing crabbie goodies! Initially, I installed a divided plastic container as FW and SW pools, also doubled with pebbles between; however, it proved awkward to remove from the tank without having to also remove a lot of the decor on that side of the 29g. Individual pools will be easier to access and clean, i.e., sand dumped into only the SW pool then remove only that pool.
Crabinski can you post a picture? I'm having a hard time picturing the second level pool thing. Also only two of my crabs are real climbers... I want it to be available to everyone! But they were just from the pet shop before they dug down so maybe that will change?

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:43 pm

MeganM wrote: Crabinski can you post a picture? I'm having a hard time picturing the second level pool thing. Also only two of my crabs are real climbers... I want it to be available to everyone! But they were just from the pet shop before they dug down so maybe that will change?

Sorry if the post was confusing :? . Both pools are sunk into the substrate about 1.5", leaving about 1" above ground. There's also a plastic needlework canvas ramp zip-tied to the lip of each pool for access. Each pool is constructed of two containers: one remains in the substrate and has a layer of pebbles/small river rock in it; the second container sits into the first and is the one filled with FW or SW. Having that bottom container in a fixed position makes it much, much easier to remove the water-filled one for cleaning. Both water-bearing containers also have river rocks and small plastic plants from the fish section at PetSmart. These rocks provide a more natural feel for the crabs and the small plastic plants help them get out if they don't want to exit via the plastic canvas ramps. Big Enzo never takes the easy way into or out of any place and always climbs onto those plants! My other 4 PPs just seem to hang out at the edge of the pools, dipping their legs in and drinking, but are probably swimming at 3 a.m. when I'm not looking as there's waaaay too much poop in the pools to be all Big Enzo :lol: !
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale

Topic author
MeganM

Post by MeganM » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:11 pm

That description helps me a lot! Having both FW and SW eliminates the need for the small water dishes right? I would still love to see a pic if you don't mind. I have a 29g and had trouble picking out the size containers for the pool. And still don't know if they are big enough or too big.:)

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:15 pm

MeganM wrote:That description helps me a lot! Having both FW and SW eliminates the need for the small water dishes right? I would still love to see a pic if you don't mind. I have a 29g and had trouble picking out the size containers for the pool. And still don't know if they are big enough or too big.:)
My cranky computer isn't communicating with my camera card this morning but I'll see if I can upload some pix later on.