New 20 gallon & new friend for Hermie

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
crabmommy

Post by crabmommy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:40 am

So I finally made the transition from a 10 to a 20 gallon tank. We've had Hermie (PP) since August 2013--1 year & 5 months. This is one of the earliest pics of him with a buddy. Hermie is the big guy in the babylone shell.

We purchased two other crabs at the same time...they both died within a week of us owning them. Image

Hermie thrived in the 10 gallon setup we've had since the beginning. Luckily I was a bit obsessive about researching his needs, so I learned quickly about substrate, humidity, and all the rest. He's been in a substrate of Eco-Earth & sand for all this time, and had so many successful molts I can't even keep track! Here are some pics from maybe 6 months ago. Image

After coming up from a six week molt in the fall, he seemed much bigger and promptly changed shells.

He was also way more active & started digging up every inch of the tank, turning over water bowls, food bowls, etc. It was quite evident that Hermie needed more space. Image

Also, I visited a neighbor who had kept a hermit crab for three years in a critter carrier with 1/2 inch of dry EcoEarth and only one dish of water with two dirty sponges. No thermometer or hydrometer. She said the crab has molted twice and has not gotten any bigger in those 3 years. When I told her a bit about my setup, she wanted to give me her crab on the spot! As much as I wanted to help that poor crab, I knew I couldn't even think about adopting a crab until we at least doubled the size of our setup.

Two weeks ago, I purchased a 20 gallon long after much agonizing. We had kept the 10 gal on a kitchen counter and my husband & I did not want a stand-alone tank with its own table. I knew that Hermie would need 6 inches of substrate--only leaving 6 inches above ground. Definitely not ideal, but for a while it's better than what we had. So I gathered materials, had my hubbie drill holes in a plastic corner guard & silicone them to 3 sides of the tank, and then mixed a 5:1 EcoEarth/sand substrate. I put up two Ultratherm mats on two sides of the tank, insulated them, got the tank to the correct temp & humidity. I was still waiting to get corner baskets to set up a moss pit & shell shop, then Hermie completely trashed the 10 gallon! So I transferred him that night. I think he knew what was going on & was ready to move out!!

My neighbor came by with her crab today & I put this sweet, tiny thing into the new tank. She went right over to Hermie & they were acting like long lost friends!!

I only have this one picture of her because I've been to busy fussing over the tank & worrying about her transition.

I will hopefully have good news to report tomorrow. Image

YYWW

Re: New 20 gallon & new friend for Hermie

Post by YYWW » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:38 am

Congrats on your adoption! Thanks for such a great story and write up. These crabs are in good hands and i look forward to more pics and updates! The bits and pieces of your tat look great!

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
crabmommy

Post by crabmommy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:36 am

Thanks! Here are some pictures of the new 20 gallon.
The salt & fresh water bowls are side-by-side against the glass on the far right. I found a tutorial somewhere on how to attach the plastic needlepoint canvas to a water bowl. Right now, it's only for the saltwater dish, but I will do the freshwater dish also.

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:55 pm

What a pleasant and cozy crabitat! Well done :D . I'm sure Hermie will be so happy to have a pal to share his new palace, too.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:32 pm

Yaaay tat pics! And look at all that food! Mosspit shell shop looks lovely!

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
crabmommy

Post by crabmommy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:54 am

Thanks so much!!

Topic author
crabmommy

Post by crabmommy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:00 am

My new little crabbie has the same dinner time as us! She/he was out eating & drinking at 6pm last night. I was afraid that the regular water & food dishes might be too far away
or too big for him/her, so I put out tiny bowls of fresh & salt water and some food close to the fake coconut hut where he/she was hanging out.
Of course as soon as I started taking pics, he/she ran to hide again. Image

Topic author
crabmommy

Post by crabmommy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:13 am

Today's projects:
1. Try to see if my adoptee is a boy or girl! The previous owners had no idea how to tell males & females apart.
2. Install a corner shower caddy w/tons of shells.

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:55 am

That purple shell, painted as it is, is so cute! I can imagine it scuttling about.

Crabbers unite!!!