Is this conditioner safe?

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
kornchaser

Is this conditioner safe?

Post by kornchaser » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:45 am

I read the topic on why do you a conditioner all the way to bottom. It said you need to get rid of ammonia along with heavy metals and that a "slime" thing is normal. But I've read in another topic that a basic stress coat to bathe crabs is unsafe and should never be fed to your crabs. Is that true, if so, what's the difference between the two?
Also this product looks v promising, opinions? http://m.petsmart.com/h5/hub?id=food-ca ... tid-300029

Mommy of 11 PP babies:
Poseidon (Sid), Octavius, Matty, Junior, Aries, Kaylee, Turbo, Adrian, Pepper, Flower and Winifred.
-

YYWW

Re: Is this conditioner safe?

Post by YYWW » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:51 am

Recent experience dispels the dangers of stress coat. There was no continuous proof that it harms crabs. A lot of crabbers give it in the drinking water.
The API dechlor looks fine to me.

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:00 am

YYWW wrote:Recent experience dispels the dangers of stress coat. There was no continuous proof that it harms crabs. A lot of crabbers give it in the drinking water.
The API dechlor looks fine to me.

Crabbers unite!!!
That's good to know. That'll be the next "upgrade" in their water. I used to used bottled from the pet store, found out that wasn't full of minerals so went to instant ocean and hoping to find a grade A dechlorinater for them. Thanks!

Mommy of 11 PP babies:
Poseidon (Sid), Octavius, Matty, Junior, Aries, Kaylee, Turbo, Adrian, Pepper, Flower and Winifred.
-

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:03 am

I like seachem prime. Only calls for 2 drops to a gallon of tap! I use 4-6. I plan to add stress coat soon.

Crabbers unite!!!

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:04 pm

I like this API conditioner:

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/dechlorina ... -36-300031

The small 1.25oz bottle treats 592 gallons of water, 2 drops per gallon, and sells for about $5.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:37 am

Crabinski wrote:I like this API conditioner:

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/dechlorina ... -36-300031

The small 1.25oz bottle treats 592 gallons of water, 2 drops per gallon, and sells for about $5.

It doesn't say that it also neutralizes ammonia. I know it's sounds silly, but "removes chloramines" is not the end of the story - a standard dechlorinator will remove the chlorine part of the chloramine, but will leave the ammonia behind. Not so much of an issue in a cycled aquarium where the biological filter often takes care of the ammonia quickly, but in a stagnant bowl it can become a problem and ammonia burns gills big time. You only have to worry about this if your water source has chloramines in it, though most of the US is moving towards using it in the tap water. I put together a color coded guide a couple years ago on which product removes what to make it a bit easier on everyone, and the super strength is just a concentrated version of the normal Tap Water Conditioner: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92553
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:10 am

wodesorel wrote: Not so much of an issue in a cycled aquarium where the biological filter often takes care of the ammonia quickly, but in a stagnant bowl it can become a problem and ammonia burns gills big time.
What does burnt gills look like? My hermit crab has a big red patch on each side of his head, could that be a chemical burn from ammonia or just light coloring since he was dug up and currently de-stressing and finishing up his molt. It does look like a rash of sorts.

Mommy of 11 PP babies:
-

Topic author
kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:21 am

http://m.petsmart.com/h5/hub?id=food-ca ... tid-300029
Says:
"This water conditioner helps ensure the safety and health of your Betta fish. The formula helps detoxify ammonia and removes chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals from tap water. The multi-purpose conditioner contains Aloe Vera to naturally help your Betta's skin wounds heal and reduce inflammation of damaged tissue.Help keep your underwater friend's home clean and safe with this API Betta Water Conditioner. The specially designed formula removes harmful toxins, such as chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals from tap water to help ensure your Betta's health. The treatment builds a slime coating on the surface of your fish to help reduce stress. The formula contains Aloe Vera to offer your Betta a soothing treatment for skin wounds and damaged tissue..."

Is Aloe Vera safe for crabs, it being a soothing plant I don't see why not but has anyone had any experience with an Aloe Vera slime coat?
I think if my crab does have a chemical ammonia burn this would help ALOT, even if he doesn't I need a better conditioner.

Mommy of 11 PP babies:
-

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:51 am

kornchaser wrote:What does burnt gills look like? My hermit crab has a big red patch on each side of his head, could that be a chemical burn from ammonia or just light coloring since he was dug up and currently de-stressing and finishing up his molt. It does look like a rash of sorts.
You can't see their gills while they are alive (unless they have a horrific injury) - they are completely covered by the exoskeleton flaps on either side of their body. The color you are describing is normal. :) Most species of crabs have stripes and spots and different colored areas on their bodies, which can be really strikingly brilliant after a molt.

And yes, aloe vera seems to be okay for crabs. There are two types of "stress coat" or "slime coat", and those phrases are used interchangeably - one is a natural product like aloe that acts as a moisturizing coating, and the other is a chemical that induces fish into producing their own 'slime'. The reason why either type doesn't matter so much to hermits is that they aren't like fish who are constantly in the water. It's not having the same type of effect on them as it does on the fish it's being made for. (And there's some debate about how helpful these things really are to fish, as well. A healthy fish doesn't need any chemical to provide a coating, as they produce their own coating naturally.)

Topic author
kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:57 am

wodesorel wrote: You can't see their gills while they are alive (unless they have a horrific injury) - they are completely covered by the exoskeleton flaps on either side of their body. The color you are describing is normal. :) Most species of crabs have stripes and spots and different colored areas on their bodies, which can be really strikingly brilliant after a molt.
Thanks, phew! I'm sure I'll see the brilliantness of it when I start to worry less about him Image

Mommy of 11 PP babies:
-

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:46 pm

wodesorel wrote:
It doesn't say that it also neutralizes ammonia. I know it's sounds silly, but "removes chloramines" is not the end of the story - a standard dechlorinator will remove the chlorine part of the chloramine, but will leave the ammonia behind. Not so much of an issue in a cycled aquarium where the biological filter often takes care of the ammonia quickly, but in a stagnant bowl it can become a problem and ammonia burns gills big time. You only have to worry about this if your water source has chloramines in it, though most of the US is moving towards using it in the tap water. I put together a color coded guide a couple years ago on which product removes what to make it a bit easier on everyone, and the super strength is just a concentrated version of the normal Tap Water Conditioner: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92553
Thanks, Wode! I'll see if I can pick up the conditioner Kornchaser posted at Petco when I retrieve the BooDog from her grooming session this afternoon.
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:57 pm

I feel dumb now..the dechlorinator I use doesn't remove ammonia either. :( Is it something to worry about if the water dishes are being changed every other day?
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:10 pm

Ammonia will be present the moment that the chlorine is removed, and the levels will rise as organic material is dragged into the dish and starts to decay. It's questionable how sensitive hermits would be to ammonia levels, but in aquatic crustaceans even minute amounts is enough to kill them within hours, and the effects last even after the water has been fixed. I personally don't chance it.

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:13 pm

megmaholm wrote:I feel dumb now..the dechlorinator I use doesn't remove ammonia either. :( Is it something to worry about if the water dishes are being changed every other day?
That's a good point, megmaholm. I change out the pools every 3-4 days and have purchased the "fixings" to add bubblers so I'm wondering if there's still ammonia build up to worry about? Hopefully, Wode or CallaLilly will come to our rescue re ammonia timelines.

No sooner do I ask than Wode answers! Will definitely upgrade to an ammonia-removing conditioner as the pools are to be cleaned today :) .

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:21 pm

What would we do without Wode?! :lol: I'll head out this evening and get something better. I'm mad that I didn't do this sooner, but I'm glad I found out!
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.