40G remodel & my crabs then and now (pic heavy)

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
ErikRasmussen

40G remodel & my crabs then and now (pic heavy)

Post by ErikRasmussen » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:35 pm

Just did redid the tank and took some pictures, i rather like this one... (and sorry about some of the sideways pictures, a few of them wouldnt stay rotated)
Here is the moss pit
Underneath the moss pit and behind the cork bark, the Es were hiding out
The net climb leading up to the cork bark
There they are again
Coco huts right after the net
Corner climbing mat
Salt water pool and the vine
Temporary freshwater pool
Thing one was the first one out and about
Checkin out the empty food dish
So i put in a banana
Up he goes
I cant decide which picture i like more...one makes is claw look good the other his shell. Which do you like best?
or 2.
the vine
Bam!

Here are some size comparisons from the first shells i ever got them in, i didnt get the Es that long ago but they are still out growing stitch by a lot. She is a slow grower while thing 1 is a monster.
Thing 1
Ms. Stitch
Apache
Lakota

YYWW

Re: 40G remodel & my crabs then and now (pic heavy)

Post by YYWW » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:36 am

Awwww! I love Stitch! Pic 2 is better IMO, I love more lighting.
I don't remember what your tank was like before, but the remodel looks great! Lots to explore and enjoy. I like how you really filled up your above ground space. By having all these different things to climb on it's like you've multiple split levels. The crabs seem to really enjoying it! Thing 1 hopping into the empty food bowl is so cute ^_^ Great job!

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:45 pm

It's fabulous! What a great job, Eric, and so nice to see Thing 1 fully recovered, enjoying the new layout.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:38 pm

Yeah i have always wanted a super tall tank to play around with second levels but in general hermit crabs need surface area. but yeah the moss pit has glass siliconed to the bottom to keep the moss from falling through holes but also serves as a secondary ledge. the cork bark is a second level, the driftwood and cocohuts kind of have some levels in them. my goal on this was to have as much going on in there as i could without overcrowding it to much and without it looking bad.

i am going to need a new freshwater pool though as soon as i have the time that will happen,

and yeah! thing 1 is doing great! he is not totally recovered he is missing half of a limb but he is basically doing fine

incycle

Post by incycle » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:37 pm

Wow I love the Venus fly trap - can you tell me a bit more about it? Do you feed it and would a hermit try to steal a piece of food stuck in one?
I'd love to try to add one to my crabitat.
sue "purple" jekarl
PPs: Herpo, Parkour, Hashtag and the Invisible One (not sure what sex they are yet)

Topic author
ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:50 pm

Its actually fake. Any time i am at petco i go to their clearance rack (if its out) and search through it to see if there are any random/broken toys for cheap. That venus fly trap was a really good find. The Es LOVE perching on top of the trap parts and thing one will just camp out underneath them. So i dont actually know if a real one could be put in the tank or not, i assume it would be toxic to the crabs but i dont know. I know airplants can work well but usually get destroyed.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:05 pm

I love your tank. Makes me want to tinker around in mine again.
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Topic author
ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:49 pm

Thank you so much! I do my best to keep it varied enough for them. Sometimes i can just tell when they are bored, they get way less active. But they have been out almost consistently since i redid it, especially the Es. I will try to snap some more pictures.

hthecvt

Post by hthecvt » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:47 am

Apache is the cutest thing! I also like pic 2 better. :)

incycle

Post by incycle » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:59 am

ErikRasmussen wrote:Its actually fake. Any time i am at petco i go to their clearance rack (if its out) and search through it to see if there are any random/broken toys for cheap. That venus fly trap was a really good find. The Es LOVE perching on top of the trap parts and thing one will just camp out underneath them. So i dont actually know if a real one could be put in the tank or not, i assume it would be toxic to the crabs but i dont know. I know airplants can work well but usually get destroyed.
Haha I was totally fooled! Great find, though. I was wondering about air plants, so your reply has been super helpful... *grateful*
sue "purple" jekarl
PPs: Herpo, Parkour, Hashtag and the Invisible One (not sure what sex they are yet)

Topic author
ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:10 am

Apache is a little trouble maker lol. Any time I hear a noise loud enough to make me want to get out of bed and walk over its always him. He is the one who drags food everywhere and tries climbing in the dumbest places. But I love him all the same lol. And yeah pic to seems to be the favorite, I just realized I got his left side, where one limb didnt grow back completely.

And thank you I like it to! When I saw it I grabbed it, screamed and ran to the cash register. My friend stood there looking at me like I was insane. (Which, to be fair, I might be)

incycle

Post by incycle » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:15 am

ErikRasmussen wrote:And thank you I like it to! When I saw it I grabbed it, screamed and ran to the cash register. My friend stood there looking at me like I was insane. (Which, to be fair, I might be)
Ahhh... so now if I see a similar item I shall do the same thing and henceforth we shall call it "going Erik over an item"... :lol:
sue "purple" jekarl

Topic author
ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:51 am

Ahhh... so now if I see a similar item I shall do the same thing and henceforth we shall call it "going Erik over an item"... :lol:
HAHAHAHA oh no thats fantastic! lol

Jemnem6

Post by Jemnem6 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:21 pm

Wow I bet your hermit crabs love living there. Great tank! Makes me jealous :D
My Hermit Crab Blog: http://hermitcrab-freak.tumblr.com

22 PP's: Skadoosh, Curly, Lucy, Moe, Ester, Briere, Rinaldo, Bryz, Brayden, Talbot, Pedriza, Keira, Jagr, Rocky Bo, Pinecone, Mason, Wayne, Spruce, Raffl, Moose, Junio, Shiloh.
2 E's: Kimo & Giroux.

Topic author
ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:56 pm

Thank you, they seem to enjoy it, although they see fit to do their own remodeling. I found one plant that was on the right side of the tank all the way on the left today. Dont know how they got it off it suction cups and dragged the entire thing over there. But i just moved the suction cups so its now basically where they left it lol