Heating/humidity advice wanted!

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
GiraffeFeeder

Heating/humidity advice wanted!

Post by GiraffeFeeder » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:41 pm

Hi guys! :) I'm looking for your advice on how I should get to where I need my crab cage to go! I recently upgraded to a 20 gal and have n playing a game to perfect heat and humidity again.
I'm looking for your favorite ...
temperature/humidity guage
Way to increase temp about 7 degrees (specific, I know)
Way to increase humidity almost 20 percent

I currently have two large water dishes (and most substrate)
One small heating pad

I've got about $75 to spare fyi

Thanks guys! :D :crabbigsmile: :D

megmaholm

Re: Heating/humidity advice wanted!

Post by megmaholm » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:31 pm

The general favorite for a temp/humidity gauge seems to be Acurite, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-00613A1-I ... e+humidity They run about $10 and can be bought at Walmart.

What kind of heating pad are you using? Depending on the brand, it can be insulated and that could help raise your temp a bit. You could get a bigger heating pad like an Ultratherm, and once insulated it should raise your temp a decent amount. Even uninsulated, a bigger one should do the job.

For humidity, what kind of lid do you have? If it's a screen lid, try covering 90% of it with saran wrap or foil to seal in the humidity. A moss pit can help boost your humidity, or you can install bubblers in one/both pools. OR you could do a DIY humidifier - like http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 39&t=26260

Is your substrate sand mixed with coconut fiber/EE? I think that helps a bit with humidity as well.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Topic author
GiraffeFeeder

Post by GiraffeFeeder » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:06 am

Hi Meg!
You know I actually have an Acurite for my home. I put that in last night and humidity wasn't off as much as I thought (it's at 73). I do mix EE and play sand.
I think I'll get another Acurite for the tank :)
In not sure of the brand of the pad I have now, but it's pretty small (about 3x3 inches) . Temp was at 73 as well when I checked last night. Do you think I should get a medium or large heating pad? How do you insulate? I have a solid lid btw.

Thanks for the help! :)

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:51 pm

I would get the biggest pad you can get that will fit on the back of your tank above the substrate line. http://www.reptilebasics.com/ultratherm-heat-pads I would check those out. They're pretty popular with a lot of us (I use one) and are generally cheaper and more reliable than pet store ones. The 6 x 23 would probably be your best bet if you go that route. If you get a pet store heater, I think that the Zoo Med ones can be insulated. I'm not sure about the rest. I had a Zoo Med one for a few months but it randomly quit working.

As far as insulating, I personally covered the heater with foil, then a layer of thick styrofoam, and then taped it securely to the back of the tank. I have a 55 gallon and it raises the temperature quite a bit. Your tank can safely get to 85 degrees and you'll have happy crabs :)
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Spags

Post by Spags » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:31 pm

well, i would start by using a digital thermometer and hydrometer. These give a better reading. Also i would recommend buying a glass terrarium lid, as it keeps the moisture in better. You can also cover the mesh lid with cling wrap. As for the increase of temp, i would recommend using a foam or foil insulation around the tank (except for the viewing front and the top). Personally, i use cork, as it looks better.
Who needs ductape when we have Eco-Earth?

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:49 pm

A lot of great advice above. I'd just like to add that any hygrometer should be calibrated to check it's accuracy. :) viewtopic.php?f=26&t=92540

Topic author
GiraffeFeeder

Post by GiraffeFeeder » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:22 pm

Awesome! Thanks everyone!

uphoto

Post by uphoto » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:07 am

lowes will custom cut a piece of plexiglass as a great shield to cover your screen on top, I just sit mine on top- helps a great deal and much easier to see through than Saran Wrap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PPs: Carmen, Aurora, Angel

My 60g Tank Build - http://tinyurl.com/pqehaga