Lighter colored sand?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Bounceraff

Lighter colored sand?

Post by Bounceraff » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:40 pm

So, I currently use Quickcrete Play Sand from Home Depot mixed with EE coco fiber. When I add water to get it to sandcastle consistency, it turns to a darker brown color. I've seen pictures of crabitats that have a lighter, more "beach sand" color to them.

For those that have the lighter sand: What is it, Where can I get some, and How does it differ from play sand other than color? Also, do the crabs respond better to more beach like sand or perhaps having both beach-like and forest floor (brown) in the tat?

Thanks! :D
Hermits: Waldo
R.I.P: Bruno, Washington

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Lighter colored sand?

Post by wodesorel » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:19 pm

Sand is expensive to transport and it's pretty easy to find local mines, so East of the Rockies the sand is a very light color and West of the Rockies it's darker since it's more volcanic in nature. Since you're in Oregon, you'd have to find sand that is shipped in from elsewhere. Kolorscape sand is mined in one place and is uniform throughout the US, but it's hard to find these days. Quikrete and Sakrete are both sold somewhat locally to where they are mined so you're likely to only find the darker stuff.

It really doesn't affect the crabs. If anything, a browner color is more common since so many of us use cocofiber along with playsand. :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:19 pm

I think different states just get different sand not much we can do, unless you're in the market to import sand!

Crabbers unite!!!

StarWarsHermitCrab

Post by StarWarsHermitCrab » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:58 pm

Your sand is fine, it doesn't matter what color it is,
but I would love to have black sand.
“Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try"-Yoda

Topic author
Bounceraff

Post by Bounceraff » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:01 pm

Thanks! I might be making some trips to Texas here in a year or two, I'll have to see what I can find there :P

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:27 am

Maybe we can start a picture thread of what location hardware store is carrying what brand+colored sand

Crabbers unite!!!

crabzlove

Post by crabzlove » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:46 pm

YYWW wrote:Maybe we can start a picture thread of what location hardware store is carrying what brand+colored sand Image

Crabbers unite!!!
That's a great idea! I might be heading to Home Depot sometime next month to get some more sand.... :banana:
I have been crabbing for 4 years. I currently own 3 PPs ; Batman, Robin, Krystal

Topic author
Bounceraff

Post by Bounceraff » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:34 pm

YYWW wrote:Maybe we can start a picture thread of what location hardware store is carrying what brand+colored sand Image

Oh, that would be great! It would be neat to see what different types there are around the world :)

Asheka

Post by Asheka » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:51 pm

I should be getting three bags within the next week. I'll be sure to post a picture heh
4 cats. 1 Dwarf African Frog. 1 amazing fiance. Four PPs; Peeta, Finnick, Katniss, and Rue.
Don't Hate What You Don't Understand PRIDE!
http://crabtaztic.blogspot.ca
Turning the gross and scary cute and merry at PlayfulDead Creationz

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:29 pm

Pool filter sand. That is pretty much standard everywhere and it should be white even where you are. It's a uniform larger sized grain, but it's quartz (silica) based. I remembered it when I used some today!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram