Hello from Ontario! – New Crab Owner

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Jakoba

Hello from Ontario! – New Crab Owner

Post by Jakoba » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:20 am

Hi everyone!
I've been lurking around this forum for a while now and decided it was finally time for me to introduce myself, so Hello! I am a 21 year old female still living at home on a small hobby farm in Ontario, Canada. I am a huge animal lover and am currently going to school to become a Vet.
I am new to Hermit Crabs and currently own 3. The first two came to me on a bit of a whim. My 14 year old cousin, who practically lives with me, had wanted to get one for a few months now. He talked about them all the time, and was doing all sorts of research on them in preparation of asking his parents permission when I discovered that a local pet store was going out of business and selling everything. The next weekend we went back to get some Aquarium supplies so my Cousin got permission and bought the entire Hermit Crab setup with 2 crabs for $30. After bringing them home, my cousin decided he wanted to keep them here and offered me “shared custody” which I gladly accepted. A week or so later he brought over a third crab.

Their current setup is an exo-terra terrarium (12”x12”?) with front opening doors, it originally came with a gravel substrate, which we promptly replaced with eco-complete as well as the food and water dishes and some decorations.)
We have had them for about 2 weeks now and so far we are enjoying the little guys, however there is one thing that is beginning to concern me which is ever since we switched their substrate to eco-complete they have buried themselves and haven’t been up since, once we added the third crab it did the same thing. I know they are supposed to be nocturnal and don’t come up much during the day, but I am a bit of a night owl myself and often check on them during the night but it doesn’t seem like they come up at all. They don’t appear to be eating either. We have dug them up twice just to make sure they were still alive(especially since the original two both came to us with missing limbs) and tried offering them some food but they wouldn’t take any of it. Is this normal? When should I be concerned? Is there anything I can do to entice them to eat? If anyone can over any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated!

Now to introduce the crabs!
First are the original two. I have no idea what kind these two are so if anyone wants to make a guess that would be awesome.
This is the smaller of the two. He only has three legs and is bit more outgoing of the first two.

This poor guy only has 2 leg, and they are on the same side.
Unfortunatley I don’t have any decept pictures of the newest guy on my laptop right yet but I will be sure to upload them once I can get some. I am fairly certain he is a Purple Pincher. All of his legs are bright red with the exception of his biggest claw, which is purple.

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to read this, it came out a bit longer than I was intending. I am excited to be a part of this community and am looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Asheka

Re: Hello from Ontario! – New Crab Owner

Post by Asheka » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:41 am

Hello fellow Ontarian lol Happy to see a couple of us at least.

It sounds to me your guys are trying to molt. You shouldn't dig them up! It can be very dangerous for them to be dug up. They know what they're doing and should be left to it.
4 cats. 1 Dwarf African Frog. 1 amazing fiance. Four PPs; Peeta, Finnick, Katniss, and Rue.
Don't Hate What You Don't Understand PRIDE!
http://crabtaztic.blogspot.ca
Turning the gross and scary cute and merry at PlayfulDead Creationz

stirstick

Post by stirstick » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:14 am

Definitely sounds like a molt. Especially if they were unable to do so befote with the gravel and they prob want to regenerate those missing limbs. Im with Asheka id leave them be (I know its hard when you have a new pet and cant even see them). Just keep giving them fresh food and water... ps im also from Ontario :)
4 PP, 1 Dog and three kids

Hermit Photo Album

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:44 pm

Welcome aboard! As @Asheka and @stirstick have said, your crabs are either preparing to molt or are destressing and need to be left alone to do so. When you have a chance, post pictures of the crabitat as we all love to see what others have done (plus offer unsolicited decorating tips :lol: ).

BTW, the two crabs pictured are also PPs (Purple Pinchers).
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
Jakoba

Post by Jakoba » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:20 pm

Asheka wrote:Hello fellow Ontarian lol Happy to see a couple of us at least.
Not just fellow Ontarian, fellow Kingstonian by the looks of it!

Thank you for the welcomes, and the input everyone!
I suspected they may be trying to molt which is actually part of the reason I dug them up. The original two I bought weren't being given saltwater at the pet store and buried themselves before I had the chance to give them any. I know it's necessary for a successful molt so I dug them up to show them that the saltwater dish was there. They sat in it for a while (drinking I assume) before climbing out and burying themselves again.

How long should I give them to come back up before I get worried? I will post a picture of the crabitat in a bit :)

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:59 pm

Welcome to the HCA!!

They know best about when to molt - even if you're worried they hadn't been offered proper conditions/food/water, it's still best to never dig up a crab unless there's an absolute emergency.

They can be down anywhere from a few weeks to several months. Depends on the individual crab. It's hard not to worry, but they've molted multiple times before coming to you and know what they're doing! :)
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Asheka

Post by Asheka » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:55 pm

Jakoba wrote: Not just fellow Ontarian, fellow Kingstonian by the looks of it!
Really? That's so awesome! :banana:
4 cats. 1 Dwarf African Frog. 1 amazing fiance. Four PPs; Peeta, Finnick, Katniss, and Rue.

stirstick

Post by stirstick » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:53 pm

Belleville for me ;)
4 PP, 1 Dog and three kids

Hermit Photo Album

Asheka

Post by Asheka » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:37 pm

stirstick wrote:Belleville for me ;)
Nice! I was starting to think I was the only one this side of the border almost heh

jaelynn

Post by jaelynn » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:10 am

Welcome! I'm a fellow Canadian crabber, except I'm on the Quebec side (although, minutes away from from the Ontario boarder).

You have some beautiful hermies! I look forward to seeing you around the forum :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mom to 2 Straws, 2 PP's, 1 turtle, 1 shih-poo puppy, and 1 guinea pig