Crabitat from Singapore

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
shinynova

Crabitat from Singapore

Post by shinynova » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:16 pm

Hi All,

Below is a link to my crabitat. Please let me know if this crabitat is suitable for my hermit crabs. I currently have 8 of them inside. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsEhsoYLODg

hermitcrabdc

Re: Crabitat from Singapore

Post by hermitcrabdc » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:56 pm

What size tank is it do you know? It looks a little small to house 8 crabs.
The substrate looks like it needs to be a little deeper. Around 6 inches, or 3 times higher than your largest crab. It also looks a little dry, it needs to be sand castle consistency so they can dig without their caves collapsing.
The water dishes look a little shallow. They should be deep enough for all crabs to be able to fully submerge.
I didn't see any gauges. Those are needed to know if the heat and humidity are too high or low. The temperature needs to be around 80 degrees and the humidity should be around 80%.
I will say, your crabs are beautiful! Thanks for sharing your tank :)
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

Topic author
shinynova

Post by shinynova » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:35 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Its about 16 gallon tank (I think). Substrates are 6 inches deep and I constantly mist the tank daily. I live in Singapore which is near the equator, the weather is all year round hot and humid.

Only the water dish is deep enough for submerge. Does the salt water dish need to be deep enough for submerge too?

crabzlove

Post by crabzlove » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:52 pm

Yes, both dishes need to be deep enough. Especially saltwater

-CrabzLove
I have been crabbing for 4 years. I currently own 3 PPs ; Batman, Robin, Krystal

citiliviey

Post by citiliviey » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:56 pm

I believe (may be wrong), that the crabs use the SW (salt water) to bathe and soak in . At least my crabbies do . (:Image

hermitcrabdc

Post by hermitcrabdc » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:29 pm

I agree with crabzlove, A deeper salt water should be added.
8 crabs in a 16 gallon, that's a lot. I don't know how else to say it :( If you ask me a 40 gallon would probably be more appropriate.
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:14 pm

I agree. What breed are they? Asian breeds are exotic breeds that require more space, whether to climb or dig. A 40gallon breeder would be a good minimum size for 8 crabs. I would go with a minimum of 50-55 gallons, so that i wont need to upgrade for a while.
I also agree that both pools should be deep enough for submerging. Crabs need to be able to clean themselves. It wiuld be best if it is deep enough for you to put a fake plant into it. Crabs can grab onto the plant and invert, in order to flush the inside of the shell clean.

Crabbers unite!!!

Crabbzymagnus

Post by Crabbzymagnus » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:57 am

Hey shinynova!I'm from Singapore too!You can purchase either eco-earth or playsand.Eco-Earth(8 quartz)can be purchased at petmart for $15.Playsand can be bought from far east floral for $25per bag(25kg),your crabs are most probably ruggies since that is the only legal species that can be kept as pets in Singapore!You can also purchase reptile water bowls from petmart but I would advise you to go to a dollar shop and purchase a food container for $2.If you have any questions about crabbing in Singapore feel free to ask!(Curious:Where did you buy your crabs?)

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:49 pm

Hello Shinynova!
You tank looks rather good, however all the ideas listed are a good starting point and will help your hermies immensely. :) If you need to calculate your tank size, I suggest looking here; a great site that I love using. :) Rather quick and easy to use too, not to mention if you ever get an upgrade - which you probably will - you can calculate the unusual tank dimensions with ease. :)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies