Talk to me about your crabitat lids, please

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
ahouseforhermitcrab

Talk to me about your crabitat lids, please

Post by ahouseforhermitcrab » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:00 am

I am essentially new to hermit crabs(i had some when i was too young to be responsible for..anything related to their care) and really looking forward to setting up my crabitat. I want to make sure I do this right, so I am basically treating it like an extended terrarium project before I even consider getting the crabs. So I've been obsessing about every little detail and today's is aquarium lids!

I'd really like to hear from as many people as possible about metal screens and plastic wrap or plexiglass or somethingf I'm overlooking, and know where you got yours. I have 20gallon high tank that I'll be using. I am a little concerned bout maintaining humidity because my place can be pretty dry. And I'm not yet sure if a UTH or lights or both is the best option for heating my tank, but obviously that'd impact the glass or not lid issue. What works best for you?

I've been lurking around this board for awhile so I'm kind of nervous to post, but thanks for everything I've already learned from all of you in all my time of lurking.

KellyCrabbieLove

Re: Talk to me about your crabitat lids, please

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:06 am

I bought custom glass lids with a corner cut at an angle for air circulation. Then a screen lid on top so noone can get out those vents. It is very pricey but the best investment in my tank I feel I have made. My heat and humidity are always at 80/80: or more without a humidifier or anything. Here is where I ordered mine. You will have to take very precise measurements of the area on the lip of the tank rim where the lid it going to fit so it can fit where a normal hood would fit. The better the measurement the better the glass for your tank will fit. Mine are perfect. http://www.dullesglassandmirror.com/store/csts2.asp
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:34 am

I measured the top of my tank inside the lip and ordered 2 pieces of lexan (polycarbonate or acrylic plexiglass-one or the other, I forget!) so that I could slide them open and closed. I paid less than $10 on Amazon and I bored holes in them for my air tubing. If it gets too humid I can open it a tad or close it as necessary. There is a wire mesh lid on top of it so that no one escapes.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:35 am

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:36 am

I put the screen lid over that.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:06 am

I have no issues with a UTH and a full plastic aquarium hood. So long as it's a new hood that hasn't been cut for use with a filter, it works like a charm! I used to use screen lids with plastic wrap, but they rusted out quick and it was too hard to keep clean with our cats always wanting to sleep on the warm tank.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Cydonia1

Post by Cydonia1 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:06 pm

Acrylic panels connected to wood. Keeps in heat and humidity, made it to fit my tat, and there's a small gap that gives some airflow to the inside. Surprisingly, no mold whatsoever. We were expecting to have to change it monthly due to mold but the nails haven't even rusted yet.
Only downside is that spider crabs will get up there and scale across the beams, and they make the most annoying tapping sound when they touch the roof.

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:00 pm

I have to supplement with heat bulbs on both tanks, so as much as I would like a full glass or acrylic lid, I have to use a screen lid. I cover it with foil and then colorful duct tape so it's less ugly, and cut out around the heat fixtures and have a corner cut for the humidifier tube.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

stirstick

Post by stirstick » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:23 pm

Like wode I have no issues with aquarium lid, unfortunately the one im using did have the filter holes punched out. Used some black duct tape to close most of it off, leaving some space for airflow (but not enough for escape artists)
4 PP, 1 Dog and three kids

Hermit Photo Album

Asheka

Post by Asheka » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:40 pm

I don't have mine set up yet, but my plan is to have two pieces of plexiglass (or Lexan if they have it) cut. I'm doing two pieces as one will be a frame to attach a small terrarium on for a second level. The solid piece will have either holes drilled or the corners rounded in for aquarium tubing and then a small hole in the middle to allow UVB light in from a lamp that will sit over it.

Hopefully my taxes come in soon so I can get it made and test for the humidity and heat.
4 cats. 1 Dwarf African Frog. 1 amazing fiance. Four PPs; Peeta, Finnick, Katniss, and Rue.
Don't Hate What You Don't Understand PRIDE!
http://crabtaztic.blogspot.ca
Turning the gross and scary cute and merry at PlayfulDead Creationz

hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:38 am

I have a standard plastic aquarium lid on my 29 gallon, and custom made wood frame with glass inserts on my 55. I really love the wood/glass because it lets in so much more light, and keep humidity in nicely. I have a notch cut out for my pool air line tubing splitter, which also lets in some air.

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:52 am

I have a hinged glass lid on my 29g and love it! It has a horizontal stiff plastic insert at the back of the rear panel so I cut out two small "notches" for airflow. So easy to access the tank by lifting up the front panel! These lids are available on the Drs. Foster&Smith website: for a 30x12 lid, I paid under $30, including shipping, the lid arrived quickly and was amazingly well-packed. If you go this route, be sure that you know the manufacturer of the tank: Aqueon tanks are sold by PetSmart and Tetra/Marineland are sold by Petco. The two brands have slight differences in size but Drs Foster&Smith clearly separate the two so you order either an Aqueon lid or a Marineland lid.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Beebalm

Post by Beebalm » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:37 pm

My 3 aquariums all have screen lids, which I've wrapped with Saran wrap to keep humidity in. Works ok. It isnt the most attractive option by far, but its economical and will do for the time being. Cut a little hole for the bubbler/humidifier tubes.
Mom to 19 PP in 3 tats: Crabzilla, Big Red, Moby, Red Legs, Bluey, Trooper, Scrabbles, Shelly,The Crusher, Snoofus, Finster, Sheep Guy, Cannoli and 6 more smalls...lets get rid of those painted shells and get a name, guys!

DinoJax

Post by DinoJax » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:03 pm

I made a custom lid with window screen supplies. I was having a problem with flies so bought the smallest screen material. It keeps in humidity really well because of how thick and woven it is. Fits inside the top of my tank and is kept tight with a window pressure keeper.
20PPs, 10 snakes, 3 cats, 2 rats and a variety of bugs. <3

ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:50 pm

I used the regular screen lids with a piece of plexi glass partly over it. But when i got my 40g I made some sliding glass lids. Two of my crabs escaped from them and one didnt make it. I have since fixed the escape issue and the humidity issue but if i get a new tank i will probably go back to screen lids and plexi glass, its easy to take on and off, i can control the humidity really easily and the crabs (generally) cant lift it off