Hi I'm new here ! Much needed advices..

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Pr3ttiluv1

Re: Hi I'm new here ! Much needed advices..

Post by Pr3ttiluv1 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:25 pm

Kaleoscope wrote:Your tanks looks really nice! :D I love your shell shop/moss pit combo hangout. I might need to figure out how to make a hemp net from all the macrame stuff I have hanging around...heh. Did you make sure to clean it? Hemp can be pretty dirty and they might try to munch on it some, so perhaps boiling it a few times in salt water wouldn't be a bad idea. As for the lamps, you could buy another lamp for nighttime heat or do a lightbulb shuffle with the one you have (this will wear out your bulbs a little faster-also burnt hands), or I would personally recommend you to get a 7x11 Ultratherm UTH and slap it on the back of your tank with a light dimmer attached to it, which will suffice for both nighttime heat and daytime heat and probably cost as much or less than another lamp+heat bulb. The lamp you've got, as long as it doesn't get to hot (you'll probably need to switch out the bulb), you could still use for getting in your day-night light cycles. Additionally, I've had some serious troubles keeping humidity decent in a 10gal when I used a light, but until you have you gauges in there it may be hard to know for sure how your setup will react.
Why are you getting a filter? It seems to me like your pools aren't large enough to warrant one, and as long as you do daily water changes you should be all good. :thumbleft: Also I noticed you were having some trouble figuring out what to use as a ramp in the pools, I use plastic canvas from a crafts store. It comes cheap in sheets sort of sized like A5 papers which I cut out ramps from, and I have some glass stones in the water dishes to help it stay down.

Hi thanks for giving me advices ! I looked online and saw a 6by11 UTH... Will that be alright to use on the back of the tank? If i get the UTH .. Do I still use a heat lamp or No? And I will look into micheals next month for products to make a ramp :)

This is what I'm looking into for UTH ..

http://www.reptilebasics.com/ultratherm ... -uth-6-x11

And what do you think of the temp&humidity thermometer ? Yay or nay ?

http://www.reptilebasics.com/thermometers/TH-100/

Kaleoscope

Re: Hi I'm new here ! Much needed advices..

Post by Kaleoscope » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:58 pm

That's probably what I was referring to! I didn't check the measurements available before I posted, and I believe those are the largest that'll fit on a 10gal. Just be sure when you get your temp/humidity gauge you won't need a light dimmer or if you do to get one-it works by restricting the flow of electricity to the heat mat (kinda like a faucet handle) so you can regulate the temps better, since those tend to work really well.

You probably won't need the lamp, but as I said you could probably use it to give them the proper light cycles they need by switching out the bulb to a regular one. If you can still return it and don't see a need for it in the future/can do the lighting some other way (it's near a window or room lights), though, I'd just return it.

I honestly have no idea about that them/humidity gauge, but I know the site usually sells good stuff and it seems to have a nice and small margin/calibration window of error. It'll probably be more convenient since it's a probe, since I have a big one that sits inside the tank. Go for it! Just be sure to make sure it's accurate by comparing notes between other thermometers and hydrometers or use some other method of calibrating.
Caretaker/owner(?) of two PP's, Percy (F) and Atlantis (M).
Personally posses:
The #1 shoulder geck, Nameless. (Leopard Gecko)
Carrot and Cake, common and comet goldfish respectively.
A radioactive marshmallow known as a dog.