Spanish moss?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
imallsmiles1431

Spanish moss?

Post by imallsmiles1431 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:25 am

Can I use Spanish moss in the crabitat?

ImageImage
Mary Nerys
12 HC's: 2 E's, 10 PP's. 15 Betta fish: 12 females, 3 males.
1 Leopard Gecko. 1 Goldendoodle dog.

CallaLily

Re: Spanish moss?

Post by CallaLily » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:48 am

Here's what it says in the Substrate & Moss article. .
Spanish Moss is not actually a moss – it’s really a bromeliad (in the tillandsia family) that grows in trees and is also known as “air plants”. Reptile Spanish moss is safe for use with hermit crabs, but it won’t behave the same as real mosses would.
Spanish Moss by Fluker’s

angelbear

Post by angelbear » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:20 am

Why it is safe, as with anything coming in from outside, I would boil it first just to be on the safe side. A little of the wrong bacteria in a tiny encloser could be the death of your crabs. And probably why they are weaker with us than in the wild. The bacteria would concentrate in a closed environment leading to frequent infections and immune system weakening. That is my theory anyways.
Hi, I have been crabbing about 7 now, and these guys have put up alot with my growing pains.
Proud mama of 2 shell babies:
1 e, and 1pp

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:37 pm

There is no worries about bacteria in crab tanks. :) The kind that can cause harm is already present and it takes the right conditions for it to get out of control. Pesticides and chemicals are the real concern when items are brought in from outside, since weed killer, fertilizer, and insecticides are so prevalent on our environment.

Spanish moss though is a temporary home to a lot of nasty bugs, including ticks and chiggers that will go after humans and other furry pets. There is absolutely no risk to the crabs, but because of the risk to you it's a good idea to use some sort of high heat to treat it. (I do not recommend the microwave, I've had fruit flies survive a 2 minute nuke and fly out like nothing happened!)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Hans

Post by Hans » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:06 am

Yes, spanish moss is safe for hermit crabs, at the very least purple pinchers. Hermit crabs are also called 'tree crabs' because they spend so much time in trees, and spanish moss is native to the same environment as the purple pinchers, the Carribean, so they are definitely climbing around in it all the time.
The stuff you buy in bags at a craft store or pet store is dried out and dead and has already been sterilized for you, so is perfectly safe. Here in Florida I gather live moss from the trees and inspect it carefully for bugs and then put it in the crabitat. The first time I put it in, one of my PP, Tiny Tim, went straight for it and climbed right up the stick it was attached to, possibly something familiar from his past.
-Hans

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:48 pm

Hans wrote:The stuff you buy in bags at a craft store or pet store is dried out and dead and has already been sterilized for you, so is perfectly safe.
There is some evidence that the sterilization process includes pesticides, which makes craft moss not safe for use with hermit crabs. Spanish moss sold for reptiles is hermit crab safe, but many crabbers prefer to stay way from the kind that has been dyed, just to be safe.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram