Terrarium liners below substrate

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
NeatHedgehog

Terrarium liners below substrate

Post by NeatHedgehog » Thu May 07, 2015 3:12 pm

I've noticed my crabs have a tendency to dig into corners or next to the sides of the tank. I usually cover the spot with some duct tape on the off chance they're looking for a molting spot.

As I'm currently rebuilding my 30g with a false bottom anyway, would there be any disadvantage to running terrarium liner up the sides of the tank below substrate level so they don't unintentionally expose themselves while digging? Possibly secured with silicone or something so they don't end up on the wrong side of it.

Eclectic~Philomath

Re: Terrarium liners below substrate

Post by Eclectic~Philomath » Thu May 07, 2015 3:35 pm

They could just be exploring the boundaries (my crabs always do) but it seems like an ok idea.

Just curious, why are you making a false bottom on your tank?
3 Aussie hermies (biggie/moe, Eenie, Meenie)
3 frizzle/barnevelder chooks (Ginge, Pecky, Audrey)
1 Bengal cat (Jupiter)
My horse friend Ardy
The occasional herd of sheep/cows trying to nibble at the veggie patch
All sprinkled on top of countryside mountains, with a frosting of snow in the winter.

Topic author
NeatHedgehog

Post by NeatHedgehog » Thu May 07, 2015 3:43 pm

I had a bad experience with an automated misting system. The controller went haywire and pumped two gallons in overnight.

Now I am running a false bottom with a sump access, and I have devised a rationing system for the automatic top-off for my misting reservoir. There is a float valve in the smaller reservoir, and a solenoid valve on a timer connected to the water lines which is only open a couple minutes during the morning. This effectively meters the amount of water that can go through in a 24hr period (or whatever period I set the timer for).

I am planning to connect water filters and pumps to the reservoir so I can branch recirculating fresh-water pools off it as well.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu May 07, 2015 4:47 pm

I've never really worried overly much about "windows". I find the crabs usually close them up before molting and then occasionally open them up again when they're close to resurfacing. Otherwise, they're just hanging out. Only once in almost 7 years have I had a crab pull a molt with a "window" open.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu May 07, 2015 7:01 pm

They'll just pull the liner down and climb between it and the glass. :P
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram