I Know my Hermit Crab is Going to Die...What Should I Do Now

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
balletdancer101

Re: I Know my Hermit Crab is Going to Die...What Should I Do

Post by balletdancer101 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:13 pm

Good news: I think I found the perfect shell for him! He is getting stronger in ISO and can stand upwards with the shell I put on his back! Quite a survival story, right? I see if I can get pictures...

Topic author
balletdancer101

Post by balletdancer101 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:37 pm

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but he has gone downhill again. He left his shell and can't walk again. I'm going to stop trying to force him into shells and start letting him try to live without one for as long as possible. Hopefully all gets better soon...
Update: He's gone into a shell BY CHOICE!! Meaning I did not have to slip him in. He hadn't eaten in a while but I figured I'd better not bother him. Hopefully he stays in there. I put some saltwater in his shell beforehand so maybe that's what did it. Humidity is a little high right now, any tips on how to bring it down? I took my sponges out but the EcoEarth might be causing the increase.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:17 pm

Humidity even at 100 is fine. Just higher levels can cause mold. Keep and eye out for that. You can vent the tank for a little bit when needed. Just not too much or you will lose the heat as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Nia

Post by Nia » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:38 pm

What kind of shells do you have? Are they all turbo or murex shells? Just a suggestion but I had this trouble with my one He refused for so long to put his big butt in a shell and keep it there lol. I ended up getting snail shells in a lot that I ordered and man he refuses to go into any other type of shell lol. They are lighter than a lot of other types of shell and they can move faster with them (at least mine do). When they are weak like that a lighter shell might help. They are usually at low cost to for the lots. Hope this helps if you want to know who I get them from let me know. I love them cause I always get extra shells and so far I have never had a chipped or broken shell come in any shipment thus far. Really hope this helps you lil guy. Still sending all the best wishes his/her way. So glad he is running around! :cheer:
Mom to: 2 Kids,4 PP's, Cats, 1 Dogs, and whatever else gets put on my doorstep. (Box on doorstep. Hubby says,"Did you order anything?" I say "no". He says, "go get it, I don't want to know." Even tho he always ends up loving it or at least accepting it lol.)

Topic author
balletdancer101

Post by balletdancer101 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:19 pm

He has turbos, a snail shell, a few murexs, and a couple that I have no idea what they're called :roll: I can't help but be worried about him sitting under his cocohut with his butt in a shell not doing much but at least he's in a shell! I know the less handling the better in this situation so I'm staying away but it's so hard! We all know that feeling! :crabblush:

Nia

Post by Nia » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:45 am

Yea I think everyone has been there at some point. Glad you have a variety too some new owners don't know to do that. Do you have a lil moist moss in the hut with him? I know that a lot of the people here say if they won't stay in a shell to plop their butts in moss to keep it moist. So long as his abdomen stays moist he should be ok until he decides to keep his lil stubborn butt in a shell lol. They can be very stubborn at times and will only do it once they decide to lol. Have you tried soaking his shells in salt water rather than the boiling? The salt water will attract them to the shells faster. Are you using the instant ocean for the salt water? Sorry trying to figure out just why he won't stay in his shell o.0.
Mom to: 2 Kids,4 PP's, Cats, 1 Dogs, and whatever else gets put on my doorstep. (Box on doorstep. Hubby says,"Did you order anything?" I say "no". He says, "go get it, I don't want to know." Even tho he always ends up loving it or at least accepting it lol.)

Topic author
balletdancer101

Post by balletdancer101 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:07 am

Unfortunately my little Banana passed overnight. I'm so happy his suffering is over and I'm sure that he probably crawled into his shell to feel as secure as possible when it was his time. It's funny how it all came full circle, huh? I started this post to see that he died comfortably, and I ended this post with news that he did. Hopefully his crabby friends aren't too upset. He doesn't smell too bad yet but I also have a really hardy nose, so what do I know :? . I did dip him in water for ten minutes with no reaction. I also know this isn't his exo as his eyes are full. How do you guys dispose of your crabs?
Update: I put him in a cup filled with sand and threw him in the trash. A combination of a burial and throwing him out, I guess! Have a nice life up above little guy!

Cumba

Post by Cumba » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:20 pm

I am so sorry for your loss :(

Nia

Post by Nia » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:42 pm

Aw I am so sorry for your loss.

Kleinerhejhog

Post by Kleinerhejhog » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:43 pm

:( Hugs.