My new crabbies

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
orangeinecrab

My new crabbies

Post by orangeinecrab » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:07 pm

So as some of you know i got a crab nearly 2 months ago now and it still hasn't resurfaced but a couple of weeks ago at the pet store they had 2 hermit crabs in (they ordered them for me as my single crab would need a friend) so i bought them and they never dug down and have been changing shells like crazy :) so here we go! Also the tank has changed a bit (just moved some things around)

So here are some pics of my hermit crabs and there current tank. The tank they are in is a 20 gallon but I am upgrading them to a 33 gallon soon with 8-10 inches of coocnut fibre and play sand substrate hope you enjoy:

The tank:

Hermit crabs eating coconut:

Cumba

Re: My new crabbies

Post by Cumba » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:48 am

Awesome! I just got some new crabs and they are dragging their broccoli everywhere. It is great your crabs are in good health! :)

Topic author
orangeinecrab

Post by orangeinecrab » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:59 am

Cumba wrote:Awesome! I just got some new crabs and they are dragging their broccoli everywhere. It is great your crabs are in good health! :)
Thanks but i forgot to add when i got them one was missing a leg and the other was missing part of a leg but boy are they active and little devils that like to make super loud noises but they are so cool! Do you have any pictures of your new crabs as I would love to see them

Cumba

Post by Cumba » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:31 am

Sorry about their legs.

I currently am having trouble with posting pictures, but I'll keep trying.

Topic author
orangeinecrab

Post by orangeinecrab » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:32 am

Cumba wrote:Sorry about their legs.

I currently am having trouble with posting pictures, but I'll keep trying.
Ok

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:35 am

They're really going to town on that coconut, smacking their crabbie lips and sighing contentedly :D !
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
orangeinecrab

Post by orangeinecrab » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:44 pm

Crabinski wrote:They're really going to town on that coconut, smacking their crabbie lips and sighing contentedly :D !
They loved it but because there is only two of them it was a huge waste of coconut but for 80 pence in the supermarket it was a nice treat for me to buy them on the way home for school :)

Topic author
orangeinecrab

Post by orangeinecrab » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:19 pm

Just found third crabby under the moss pit I picked him/her up and it is alive but I don't know if it molted or not what should I do??

Topic author
orangeinecrab

Post by orangeinecrab » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:40 pm

Third crab is newly molted i put it in the salt pool for a while then I checked on them maybe half an hour later one of the new ones was on top of it so it is now in an area with a container around it and some freshwater and peanut butter ao the newer crabs don't attack it for now

emceedi

Post by emceedi » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:24 pm

Sounds like you're doing everything right! Sometimes, new crabs will go underground for a long time to de-stress, but won't actually molt. Missing a leg or parts of a leg is normal. It'll grow back after their next molt!

(Now I need to go out and buy a coconut.)
Six PPs and four Es!

Topic author
orangeinecrab

Post by orangeinecrab » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:41 am

emceedi wrote:Sounds like you're doing everything right! Sometimes, new crabs will go underground for a long time to de-stress, but won't actually molt. Missing a leg or parts of a leg is normal. It'll grow back after their next molt!

(Now I need to go out and buy a coconut.)
Thanks I just take it a day at a time with the crabs but now my first crab that I got (about 7 weeks ago) is up I had him with a container over him and some food and water but it was restless so I let it out and now both newer crabs have both hung onto the lip of the shell but thankfully I scared them and got them off the shell so hopefully it wont happen again

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:14 am

When a crab resurfaces after molting it is a good idea to give them a quick dip in the freshwater bowl. They still have the molt smell and this will attract other crabs sometimes. Also pecking order is reestablished after a molt.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Topic author
orangeinecrab

Post by orangeinecrab » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:38 am

soilentgringa wrote:When a crab resurfaces after molting it is a good idea to give them a quick dip in the freshwater bowl. They still have the molt smell and this will attract other crabs sometimes. Also pecking order is reestablished after a molt.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Okay I thought it was the saltwater pool (facepalm). I have also been at school all day and I'm not home yet to see whats gone down as I separated the one that had molted using a plastic container, gave it some peanut butter and some freshwater and left for school but just before leaving i saw it digging out so lets hope it isn't dead

Topic author
orangeinecrab

Post by orangeinecrab » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:54 pm

my old crab is now buried somewhere and I have no clue where in the tank... this is turning into a bit of a catastrophe :(

Nia

Post by Nia » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:58 pm

Lol they tend to do that and make you worry in ways you didn't think that you could :lol:.
They go up and down. They do tunnel for fun so it doesn't always mean that they are molting. How is the new lil guy? When you iso your lil guy he may have dug down to start/finish his/her molt. Just keep an eye out for that fishy smell, really the only way to tell that something has gone wrong. Try not to stress ( I know it is easier said than done).
Mom to: 2 Kids,4 PP's, Cats, 1 Dogs, and whatever else gets put on my doorstep. (Box on doorstep. Hubby says,"Did you order anything?" I say "no". He says, "go get it, I don't want to know." Even tho he always ends up loving it or at least accepting it lol.)