Tips for Strawberry survival

Where you post anything related to hermit crabs that does not fit into the categories below.

Topic author
FlightResponse

Post by FlightResponse » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:02 am

By popular demand, I've decided to post a list of the methods that I've devised in the last couple of years, which, I believe, have allowed the straws in my crabitat to live long, healthy lives: salt content in the water is key: I use 1/2 to 2/3 cup salt mix (no more) per gallon of dechlorinated water. I keep my tank temp between 74 and 84 degrees F their diet is the same as my other crabs, but to maintain the red color, they need to eat more carotene and astaxanthan. These can be found in foods like carrots and shrimp, and astaxanthan is also sold by itself. When using astaxanthan alone, only use a small amount though. I've also stopped using commercial foods altogether. I've created a saltwater "pool" out of a Fluker's Jacuzzi as a substitute for regular bathing. Instead of stressing the straws (and my other crabs) by bathing them, the salt pool allows them to fill their shells and wash out whenever they choose. as tough as it is, I've designated my straws as the "look but no touch" crabs. I fear that stress from being picked up will bother them too much. These tips are methods that I came up with after losing four straws within a year of their purchase, and doing research to figure out what I could to keep it from happening again. So far, I've been able to keep the straws that I've had since then for two years and counting. Of course, none of this is a guarantee of strawberry survival. Their health and lifespan, just like the health of any crab, is dependent on a lot of different factors, such as PPS, illness, poor pet store conditions, owner care, etc. Keep in mind that straws are an especially fragile species as well. Basically they need extra TLC: minimal stress, and the right diet, and that is what the methods I came up with aim to give them. Happy Crabbing!

spidtat

Post by spidtat » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:11 pm

I agree with all of your tips except I differ on the ocean water. I actually use the pre-made kind from Petco meant for salt water fish tanks and I have seen a dramatic increase in the use of the pool by not only my Straws but all others as well. Also I did bump up the temp a couple of degrees in my tank and that seemed to perk them up more as if they needed any help in that area.
1 Rugs 2 Indo's, 2 Viola's, 4 Straws, 11 PP's, and 10 E's= 1 Very happy owner

Topic author
FlightResponse

Post by FlightResponse » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:24 pm

Is the ready made Petco water more expensive than salt mix?I vary what kind of salt mix I use based on the price. Lately I've been using Petco's store brand aquarium salt because it's cheaper than Oceanic and Instant Ocean. I've noticed the crabs have been using the pool more too, so maybe Petco puts something in there that they like more than other brands.It's funny to watch them play in there too. Some of my big guys actually slide off the top of the nearby coco-hut and "cannonball" backwards into the pool! I thought they were just clumsy at first, but they kept doing it over and over......

spidtat

Post by spidtat » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:38 pm

To be honest I am not sure. I know the pre-made stuff is 12 dollars for 5 gallons, sometimes you catch it on sale for 10 dollars. I am just lazy and got tired of the mixing and find it much easier if I have to think less than required . Plus it gives my cat something else to climb on and jump down and pounce on her stuffed crab from.
1 Rugs 2 Indo's, 2 Viola's, 4 Straws, 11 PP's, and 10 E's= 1 Very happy owner

Topic author
KittyCaller

Post by KittyCaller » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:34 am

Thanks so much for providing this! I thought my salt water mixes were strong enough, but maybe not. With mine, their coloring was always nice, even after their molts, so I think I was offering the right diet at least. Much to think about, thank you!Flight, that is funny about their backward way of getting into the pool. I have a couple of ideas off the top of my head why that might be. Maybe it's a good way to avoid hurting themselves? Their shells are harder than their limbs. Or maybe it causes the water to rush in the mouth of the shell.

suebee

Post by suebee » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:01 pm

quote:astaxanthan where do you get astaxanthan?
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:02 am

I've seen astaxanthan at the Hermit Crab Addiction store.