Rearrange the crabitat this evening

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
me n my hermikids

Rearrange the crabitat this evening

Post by me n my hermikids » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:55 pm

What do ya think? I don't know what that cone shaped shell is called but I used to for their Christmas tree Image ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

landlubber

Re: Rearrange the crabitat this evening

Post by landlubber » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:36 pm

It looks great! The Xmas tree idea is so adorable!!! I have gone back and forth on whether I should put water dishes on the second level like you have, keep some of the yuck out of them. I have always put water dishes and food dishes on the ground so pre-molt crabs don't have to work to get to them and save up energy for their molts instead. But gosh I'd like to have those pools clean longer-even one day I'd be happy with. They get so dirty on the ground.
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon
1 Boxer puppy, 1 Yorchie mutt, 1 cat, 1 ball python, 1 boa

Topic author
me n my hermikids

Post by me n my hermikids » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:39 pm

Thanks, landlubber. It does keep the outside of the dishes cleaner, which makes changes easier, but they still go swimming and poop in it and get substrate in it.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:06 am

Oh ma goodness. look at all those levels you have in there. Beauty. :) For the middle one, did you use some canvas and sprinkle some sand on top?

:bigkiss:
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
me n my hermikids

Post by me n my hermikids » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:15 am

Thanks and yes. Gotta mist it first or the sand will just fall thru but once is all it takes as long as humidity in the crabitat is good.

judywapner

Post by judywapner » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:46 pm

I love it! So much inspiration for my next upgrade! Do you get the shelving from Walmart? I have looked around in our Walmarts here in Canada but I haven't been able to find them!

marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:21 pm

Looks great!! I also used a shelf like that in my biggest tank and found that if you take a reptile vine and wrap it around the legs and across the diameter of the shelf it makes it look really natural! It also helps the crabbies climb up the legs to the surface and hides them a bit more when they are under the levels on the sub. Just a thought :) here is a pic where you can sort of see the vines wrapped around the legs and the sides

I really do like all your levels though! So much room to roam on the sub :P
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:12 pm

Love the idea of sand on canvas for that middle level -- I'll have to keep it in mind for the next revamp. As @marandashermies suggested, wrapping reptile vines around the wire legs for traction + aesthetics is a good idea. I have the same corner shelf in the crabitat and wrapped hemp cord around the legs for the same purpose.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
me n my hermikids

Post by me n my hermikids » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:54 pm

Those are all really cool ideas, thank you. And thank you for the compliments. My crabbies like it too.

Topic author
me n my hermikids

Post by me n my hermikids » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:20 pm

They do like to hang upside down from the plastic canvas, thoughImage