Snail shells for hermit crabs?

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Snail shells for hermit crabs?

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:54 pm

I had a quick question. My mother has a fish tank, and recently some of the snails in the tank died. She was going to give me the empty shells for my hermit crabs, but I wasn't sure if I could use them for my hermit crabs? They are VERY light and kinda thin. The look like a regular turbo shell besides being very light. Thanks.
Happy mother to 4 PPs and 2 Straws, 2 Ferrets, 1 Hedgehog, , 1 frog, and 1 ball python

Life is not complete without a "few" critters!

landlubber

Re: Snail shells for hermit crabs?

Post by landlubber » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:29 pm

I would try it. Although I stock the tank with the ones I know they'll like, sometimes I put in more odd shells in there and there have been takers. I've had straws who will go in rock shells or tonna shells, and I've had little guys go into cone shells, nurites, maple leafs, and yes, some snail shells such as Land Fairy shells or candy striped they have gone into. Your mother's snail shells are free, you have an opportunity to "recycle" them-why not put them in and see what happens?
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon
1 Boxer puppy, 1 Yorchie mutt, 1 cat, 1 ball python, 1 boa

hermitcrabdc

Post by hermitcrabdc » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:39 pm

I agree with landlubber. I had an E who loved his snail shell, found it at the creek.
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:48 pm

Ok awesome, thank you :)
Happy mother to 4 PPs and 2 Straws, 2 Ferrets, 1 Hedgehog, , 1 frog, and 1 ball python

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:39 pm

The only problem with aquarium snails is that the shell won't be as thick as their wild or farmed counterparts. If they seem too thin, they could shatter. I've never had an aquarium snail with a shell thick enough to offer a hermit. :(
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:57 pm

Yea thats what I was thinking. These are pretty thin. I didnt end up putting them in the tank because was worried of that.

Bonk

Post by Bonk » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:38 pm

I have Aussies, and they go CRAZY for snail shells. Not necessarily the ones you are discussing though. I have 5/10 crabs in different types of snail shells. However, I do know the type you are talking about, and I found tons of dead ones at the local petstore a while ago. They were quite happy for me to take them off of their hands, and I had one crab change into one. The rest had holes and were thin, so I crushed them up and used them as a calcium supplement (of course, this was after I saw one of my big crabs destroying one of them :lol: )
Proud owner of a 160L (40G) with 10 Australian hermits: Salvatore, Gillana, Polly 13/10/13; Cadet 25/08/14; Boho 5/09/15; Twinkie, Egg 27/09/15; Gumnut, Zipper, Rainbow 5/10/15.

CupidStunt

Post by CupidStunt » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:58 pm

Funny enough, I bought a couple 'Apple snail' shells, super cheap (like .99) because they were jumbo version of my more expensive turbo shells, just a bit thinner. My PPs originally favored the thinner shells before they outgrew them and were forced to change into the thicker shells.

I'm thinking maybe another molt or two and they might fit the snail shells.