PVC pipe safe?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
staticfurball

PVC pipe safe?

Post by staticfurball » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:38 pm

I was planning on using some PVC pipe in my new tat. I would like to cover it with some netting to make some climbing structures and want to make sure its safe. has any one had any problems with that and Id be happy to see some examples of how its been used also, I'm always looking for some good ideas.

fantasybookworm

Re: PVC pipe safe?

Post by fantasybookworm » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:39 pm

I'm interested in this as well! I'm planning to get some PVC pipe this weekend for my snake's tank & was thinking it might be useful to make a combination climbing structure/shell shop for the crabs.

nepenthes

Post by nepenthes » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:21 pm

I recently asked this question and found out that it's safe so long as no heat is applied to it. I think heat causes the pvc to release toxic fumes, but not quite sure. Now I'm wondering if it's safe to put against the glass next to a UTH.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:21 pm

These are plastic pipes from a cheap nylon cat tree thing that my cats completely destroyed after a couple of months:

And this is PVC pipe coated in Envirotex Epoxy and then stuck into sand until it hardened. (Used for my fiddler crab tank.)

I've never found PVC three way pipes that are corners with a downward piece for legs. The cat structure did have those pieces. For the PVC base I had to make a square using pipe and 90 degree bends, and then add in T junctions along the long side for the legs.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
staticfurball

Post by staticfurball » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:06 am

Thanks a bunch wodesorel, those are some great ideas. I like what you did with the sand, maybe I could epoxy some sort of bark to the sides above the sand level. I was actually thinking of a way to keep the water tubs and anything a bit heavy off the sand and this solves those problems as well. :D