natural temp drop

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
tokyojapan

natural temp drop

Post by tokyojapan » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:57 pm

I now animals can benifet from a natural tempature drop at night to ensure a healthy environment for day time lighting I have a 75 watt daytime bulb its in the low 80's a inch from the top of the tank what bulb wattage should I use for nighttime at night the hermits sit at the top on a piece of cork bark waiting for the light to turn on they r very smart I just want them to walk around more at night instead of sitting at the top wait for the light on could I have some advice :crabbigsmile:

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: natural temp drop

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:17 pm

You can use a ceramic heat emitter, or a blue or red reptile night bulb. These bulbs can be used 24 hours a day without disturbing them.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
tokyojapan

Post by tokyojapan » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:12 pm

wodesorel wrote:You can use a ceramic heat emitter, or a blue or red reptile night bulb. These bulbs can be used 24 hours a day without disturbing them.
What wattage for a red night time light. could I use a purple night time light why can't I if I can't ? I thought the blue lights are for daytime use :?:

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:15 pm

They look purple but they're sold as blue. The bright blue ones are for day use and will be labeled as daylight. The moonglo/moon-glow lights are for night use.

Whatever wattage you use during the day would give you about the same temps at night. White runs the hottest, followed by red and then blue. It'll only be a few degrees difference. The brand of bulb makes a difference too, as they all run at a slightly different temp.

Topic author
tokyojapan

Post by tokyojapan » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:26 pm

wodesorel wrote:They look purple but they're sold as blue. The bright blue ones are for day use and will be labeled as daylight. The moonglo/moon-glow lights are for night use.

Whatever wattage you use during the day would give you about the same temps at night. White runs the hottest, followed by red and then blue. It'll only be a few degrees difference. The brand of bulb makes a difference too, as they all run at a slightly different temp.
Can hermit crabs benefit from a temp drop has this been proven

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:29 pm

Mine have a temp drop in the summers when I let the tank naturalize to what our house is (no a/c) and turn the heat lights off. So long as they get over 80 during the day, they can get as low as 70 at night with no trouble. I would not personally recommend a temp drop if the tank is being kept cooler than 80 during the day, it's safer for them to stay at the same temp all the time if that's the case.

Topic author
tokyojapan

Post by tokyojapan » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:34 pm

wodesorel wrote:Mine have a temp drop in the summers when I let the tank naturalize to what our house is (no a/c) and turn the heat lights off. So long as they get over 80 during the day, they can get as low as 70 at night with no trouble. I would not personally recommend a temp drop if the tank is being kept cooler than 80 during the day, it's safer for them to stay at the same temp all the time if that's the case.
What colored light have u used and I thought I read something that crabs can't see red this is the same with reptiles red light to reptiles looks like a blinding light to the especially nocturnal ones would this have the same effect on the crabs what colored light should be best for the crabs

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:45 pm

It's a myth that both hermits and reptiles can't see red - they can. Insects and arachnids can't. No light at night is really the best if you can do it. A ceramic heat emitter puts out no light, but they're trickier to use. Honestly, a good Ultratherm is the way to go. (I'd suggest a Flukers if it's a smaller tank, since their pads don't come large enough for more than maybe a 29 gallon.) For the price and for how often bulbs need replaced it's a much better investment.

But any of the red, blue, black, purple lights that are safe for reptiles can be used for crabs at night. I've used them all, and I've tried all the brands - T-Rex, Exoterra, R-Zilla, Flukers. My personal favorite is the Fluker's black nightlight bulbs. They run hot so I can use a smaller (cheaper) bulb, are very dim so the tank doesn't glow like it's possessed (red lights = glowing room), and they seem to last the longest. They also have extremely thick glass and I've yet to break one. BUT - I will use any bulb I can pick up on sale. Right now if this black one goes I've got four red ones to go through since I got them for under $2 each.

Topic author
tokyojapan

Post by tokyojapan » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:58 pm

[quote="wodesorel"]It's a myth that both hermits and reptiles can't see red - they can. Insects and arachnids can't. No light at night is really the best if you can do it. A ceramic heat emitter puts out no light, but they're trickier to use. Honestly, a good Ultratherm is the way to go. (I'd suggest a Flukers if it's a smaller tank, since their pads don't come large enough for more than maybe a 29 gallon.) For the price and for how often bulbs need replaced it's a much better investment.

Thank u for the info on red light i think I'll get a purple night time light 75 watt r there any other myths to debunk about reptiles of hermits I'm into that stuff you have been very helpful I look forward to our next conversation. :D :crabbigsmile:

staticfurball

Post by staticfurball » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:54 am

wodesorel is right about the different brands though for sure. I recently bought a blue light and everything was the same except the brand and it seems dimmer. I found that my crabs were out and about more with the first one and it gave me better viewing to boot.