Winter digging?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Ilovehermies74

Winter digging?

Post by Ilovehermies74 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:23 pm

All my crabs are digging down in minnesota and its winter. The humidity and heat are good and i was wondering if they have some kind of winter habit that they do more digging or something. Does anyone have any idea?
owner of 10 happy hermies! tiny micro, arora small, problem small, romeo small, Juliet small, berry small, mars medium, katniss medium, lucky large, and the big head honcho hugo:) :) RIP shy Check out my youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW91Ko ... s84MrO0zog

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Winter digging?

Post by wodesorel » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:07 pm

Mine don't dig, but they stop eating for the most part. They go from a cup of food a day to about a cup a week from now until around April.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

staticfurball

Post by staticfurball » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:03 pm

That's funny, I was just wondering the same thing. I have 5 pp and they all seem to disappear in the winter. There always seems to be 4 out of the 5 that are down...even with good temp and humidity in the tank. Its a bit frustrating because I am in the process of setting up a new tank for them and am wondering how long it will take to transfer them when I'm done the set up.

Topic author
Ilovehermies74

Post by Ilovehermies74 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:52 pm

I know right
owner of 10 happy hermies! tiny micro, arora small, problem small, romeo small, Juliet small, berry small, mars medium, katniss medium, lucky large, and the big head honcho hugo:) :) RIP shy Check out my youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW91Ko ... s84MrO0zog

BokChoy

Post by BokChoy » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:22 am

I would say the same... Mine always seem to hide themselves when things start to get cold around the house.
"Obey the principles without being bound by them." - Bruce Lee

crabby1

Post by crabby1 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:37 am

I was just going to ask the same question all my crabs are buried, except my biggest Papa, who was trying to I believe make a cave to molt in. He and Red are my largest ,Red did come up from her fist molt in my last 20g. It is scary and frustrating because temp Ana humidity are fine , is it possible that our purple pinchers have some instinctive hibernation ( not real hibernation) just a type of burying time in the year. They also molt ,back to back with at least two down at the same time, then the other two do ECT.ect. They also have a certain time of the year they mate and reproduce (even though they rarely do in captivity). It's just I'm moving and getting a larger" tat". Maybe ill have until April then to get it ready. The tat has tunnels everywhere, not molting caves just tunnels.