How much to feed?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
hthecvt

How much to feed?

Post by hthecvt » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:24 pm

I have 6 crabs (2 E's and 4 PP's). How big of food dishes do you guys use and how much do you feed?

For 6 crabs would like a tablespoon a night be enough? For their powdered diet, not the other stuff, haha.

Pictures of your food dishes and food would be great!

.... I'll also take cute crab pics for funsies, lol.

*H, CVT*

CrazyCrab12

Re: How much to feed?

Post by CrazyCrab12 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:50 pm

I just feed more than they could eat in a day. I have 8 crabs right now and i usually give them i guess 2-3 tablespoons, but they don't eat most of it. It would probably last them a week if i didn't take it out.

Just experiment and adjust to get it right, and remember too much is always better than too little.
Buy a custom portrait of your crab!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/ChatfieldPetPortrait

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:14 am

I don't really measure. I just put in small amounts of several different foods, dried and fresh. They don't clear the dish often, especially this time of year. I toss it when it starts to look nasty. If you're finding a lot goes to waste or they're clearing the dish quickly, adjust the amount next time.

A few pictures of mine.

marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:07 am

Calla those pics are so adorable! I have never seen more than one of my crabs at the food dish's at any given time.

I don't usually measure either.I give each tank a full sea shell of supplements and then a full dish or large seashell of dried and fresh foods. Usually that dish is overflowing haha. They never eat it all, not even close, but it makes me feel better to know its there and that they have a ton of options to choose from! Sometimes I will add a third shell with PB and honey too. Both of my tanks have that right now.

here are a couple of my dishes that I use.. one has been pollen, honey and a healing mix from HCP. One has worm castings and egg shells and the other has a bunch of fresh and dried foods. I like the shells the best cause I feel like the little micros can access the food easier. That's probably all in my head, but it makes me feel better. :roll:

here you can see Bella eating the fresh and dried foods, while sitting in the supplement shell..

I also added a shell of dried flowers and herbs from Wode
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:49 am

Image Image treats inside the acropolis.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Topic author
hthecvt

Post by hthecvt » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:50 am

So you guys give about a tablespoon-ish of each thing, okay. I've been giving WAY more and it always gets wasted.

*H, CVT*

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:49 pm

mynameisH wrote:So you guys give about a tablespoon-ish of each thing, okay. I've been giving WAY more and it always gets wasted.

*H, CVT*
Mine were wasting everything until I started feeding in the shell dish with different shells for different things. Try something similar to keep the foods separate to tell what they actually eat well too. Mine were refusing a few things completely and that was part of the waste because if it mixed in they didn't like the resulting flavor. Once they mixed it together they seemed to get bored and it went to waste. My amounts are 1/4 teaspoon each thing. I have over 35 crabs. Hopefully that helps.

Topic author
hthecvt

Post by hthecvt » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:35 pm

@KellyCrabbieLove - that's so many crabs! That's awesome! What kind do you have?! I have a 40 gallon and I'm sure I could have more, haha.

*H, CVT*

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:04 pm

Last count all but 4 were pp. The other 4 are Es.

Edit: I haven't seen one of the Es in awhile and when I had the last flood I was counting shells not species so she may be one that I lost in the flood since I lost a couple.

missAlfalfa

Post by missAlfalfa » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:24 pm

KellyCrabbieLove wrote:Image Image treats inside the acropolis.

Kelly, where did you get the multidish? I can't find any that have more than 2.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:28 pm

A store on etsy called DeliciouslyCrabby. The owner makes them. It often takes awhile to receive things from her but I only shop there for my crab stuff.

missAlfalfa

Post by missAlfalfa » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:53 pm

KellyCrabbieLove wrote:A store on etsy called DeliciouslyCrabby. The owner makes them. It often takes awhile to receive things from her but I only shop there for my crab stuff.

Awesome. Thanks so much!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:02 pm

I didn't realize that was one dish until now! I just got way too excited for that! Its perfect! As of right now I've been carefully placing them in the bowl buffet style to keep things separate. I might have to get the crannies one eventually, it'd make my life easier.

Sent from my VS415PP using Tapatalk