Can someone tell me what this is?

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
missAlfalfa

Post by missAlfalfa » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:01 am

Here's TomClown. He's active and friendly, While taking some pictures last night, I noticed this pink thing on the side of Tom... I investigated some of the other crabs and I didn't notice anything similar.
Can anyone tell me what it is?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

marandashermies

Re: Can someone tell me what this is?

Post by marandashermies » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:40 pm

Molt sack would be my guess.
Wode would know best though :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1

AutumnHermie

Post by AutumnHermie » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:06 pm

I thought molt sacks were black!? :shock: As well as a lot further back in the shell? But your right on the fact that Wode would probably know best :P
Owner of 12 PP's , 4 Blue's, and 2 straw's.

purpleperson

Post by purpleperson » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:32 pm

I say molt sack. I have seen them ranging from clear to dark brown and even black. :) it just depends on the crab and where they are in the molting cycle I guess :p

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:34 pm

Uh...... It really could be my brain interpreting the flat picture wrong, but that looks freaking bizarre. I wouldn't worry about it - their abdomens can have oddly colored structures, and they can be hermaphroditic, so the weird bits we rarely get to see can look stranger than normal in some individuals. When he changes to a turbo you should be able to get a better view of what exactly is on his side. It should be a molt sac, but it could also be regrown small appendages or pleopods, or a mix of all three. It really is very unique.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:28 am

wodesorel wrote:... It should be a molt sac, but it could also be regrown small appendages or pleopods, or a mix of all three. It really is very unique.
It seems a bit of a too round shape to be a 'rear sided' appendage but it certainly could be regrowing a back leg and getting color after the 'gel' colored phase. Pleopods I thought were farther back closer the egg carrying area with comblike setae, hard to tell ?? Also what's hard to make out is the dark & tan colors behind the pink in question - if they're from the shell or connected to the crab? Could you post pictures surrounding that area on this mysterious guy?

Twelve PP hermit babies Image
-

Topic author
missAlfalfa

Post by missAlfalfa » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:18 pm

I'll try to get a couple more pictures... It definitely looks weird. Hubs suggested a 'male appendage' ... Lol...

I bought him from Petsmart about 4/5 months ago... He dug down the day I got him... Came up about a month ago. He's actually the most active crab I've got, So it doesn't seem to bother him. I'm gonna try to get more pictures now.

Topic author
missAlfalfa

Post by missAlfalfa » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:25 pm

missAlfalfa wrote:I'll try to get a couple more pictures... It definitely looks weird. Hubs suggested a 'male appendage' ... Lol...

I bought him from Petsmart about 4/5 months ago... He dug down the day I got him... Came up about a month ago. He's actually the most active crab I've got, So it doesn't seem to bother him. I'm gonna try to get more pictures now.

purpleperson

Post by purpleperson » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:26 pm

Oh oops I didn't even notice that pink part at fist. Are you sure it's not just part of the shell?

Topic author
missAlfalfa

Post by missAlfalfa » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:27 pm

In the one picture it looks like it's part of the shell, but from the other pictures, you can see its on HIM.

I'm more curious than concerned.

purpleperson

Post by purpleperson » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:28 pm

Sorry, on mobile right now, so it's hard to tell. I'm not really sure what it is. Someone else may be able to chime in.

Topic author
missAlfalfa

Post by missAlfalfa » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:33 pm

kornchaser wrote: It seems a bit of a too round shape to be a 'rear sided' appendage but it certainly could be regrowing a back leg and getting color after the 'gel' colored phase. Pleopods I thought were farther back closer the egg carrying area with comblike setae, hard to tell ?? Also what's hard to make out is the dark & tan colors behind the pink in question - if they're from the shell or connected to the crab? Could you post pictures surrounding that area on this mysterious guy?

Best I could do... He was trying to run away.

purpleperson

Post by purpleperson » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:04 pm

Ok so I did a Google search on these shells (Haitian tree snail or candy snail shell) and looked at some pictures of the openings. All of the intact shells have a little lip in the same place as the photos you posted, ranging in colors from a light pink to more red, I really think it's part of the shell and it's just an optical illusion that it's part of the crab.

Topic author
missAlfalfa

Post by missAlfalfa » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:12 pm

purpleperson wrote:Sorry, on mobile right now, so it's hard to tell. I'm not really sure what it is. Someone else may be able to chime in.

Can't fault ya... I thought it was part of the shell too until I took more pictures. I also have the advantage of seeing it in person. Lol. I appreciate you trying either way. [WHITE SMILING FACE]

kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:17 pm

purpleperson wrote:Ok so I did a Google search on these shells (Haitian tree snail or candy snail shell) and looked at some pictures of the openings. All of the intact shells have a little lip in the same place as the photos you posted, ranging in colors from a light pink to more red, I really think it's part of the shell and it's just an optical illusion that it's part of the crab.

ImageImage I agree.

-