Can someone tell me what this is?

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
missAlfalfa

Re: Can someone tell me what this is?

Post by missAlfalfa » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:39 pm

purpleperson wrote:Ok so I did a Google search on these shells (Haitian tree snail or candy snail shell) and looked at some pictures of the openings. All of the intact shells have a little lip in the same place as the photos you posted, ranging in colors from a light pink to more red, I really think it's part of the shell and it's just an optical illusion that it's part of the crab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huh! That explains why it looked part of the shell in some pics. I can't believe I didn't think to Google the shell. Image it just seriously looks like its attached, but that explains why none of the other crabs have it. That's the only Shell like that I have, and I'm having a hard time buying them. (He came in that shell)

Thanks for helping solve the great mystery guys. I was pretty intrigued. Image

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:56 am

missAlfalfa wrote: Image

Best I could do... He was trying to run away.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
They always run away! Lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:00 am

:hlol: I thought that looked really strange! It does look like part of him, especially since he's so hairy that it makes it look like that part of the shell has hair as well.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

ashleyandanimals

Post by ashleyandanimals » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:09 am

Ugh. I love the look of those shells but I hated it when I had one molt in it. Such a tiny crab stuck so far back in there. I was changing the water dish and discovered the crab in a little hollow underneath with exo laying out and another crab very close by. I went to move the crab to a safer place but I didn't see him in there! I thought he'd been eaten! I checked again in a few minutes after placing him in a cup while I finished my maintenance and then checked again. I saw the tiniest bit of crab back in there. Thankfully, little Sam made it through fine and has molted several more times. And changed shells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do my best to spoil all of my pets! :)